Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

The iSlate Thread

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 am

Or iTablet or whatever it is going to be called. I'm pretty curious as to what it brings to the table. From where I live, the announcement is 9 hours away. Here's hoping to a semi competitive device at less than $800.

Edit: Here is Engadget's live feed for when the conference goes live.

ztrand
Gerbil First Class

Re: The iSlate Thread

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:30 am

From where I live, the announcement is 9 hours away

I dont think it matters where you live in this case...

I don't like Apple, but I still have an iphone since it's just too awesome. I'm afraid i'll have to buy this tablet thingy as well, so i'm actually hoping it will be crap :-)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:30 am

ztrand wrote:
I don't like Apple, but I still have an iphone since it's just too awesome. I'm afraid i'll have to buy this tablet thingy as well, so i'm actually hoping it will be crap :-)

"don't like Apple" but still have an iPhone.....hmph. As for it being crap, well if they just build upon the great tech they have in the iPhone it wont be crap.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

ztrand
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 am

"don't like Apple" but still have an iPhone.....hmph

Exactly. I dont like them. I dont like the fact that they keep locks on their products, I dont like their sniveling fanboy toadies, I dont like that I have to use itunes for my phone, etc etc. However I can not deny that the iphone destroys all competition. I really want to buy an Android but they're just not good enough yet.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:14 pm

WTF! Could they not have called something else.......gawd.....the jokes will be endless. /sigh
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 pm

It's a big iPod Touch. It's exactly what I hoped it was. But now I'm suddenly not interested. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ztrand
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Yeah. Name is so-so. Jury is still out on whether I have to buy it or not (Bezel is too thick imo). Interface looks pretty slick. I want specs!

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:27 pm

I am pretty indifferent so far. I'd rather have a proper netbook than this. My HP Mini > this.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Hopefully they'll move to sync over wifi with this thing.

With a couple of iPod apps (like the Dropbox app + one of the office suites) this could be a really awesome way to do a little lite editing on the road without lugging your desktop or getting a laptop.

Of course that's sorta-kinda true right now.

axeman, the iPhone isn't bigger than the Nexus One or Palm Pre, at least according to some of the "how does the Nexus One compare to the iPhone, Blackberry, and Palm Pre" articles around the web. You're right, though, that aesthetically this thing sucks. The bezel is way too big.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:33 pm

by bezel I guess you mean the deadspace from screen to edge of gadget??? If that is it yeah it is too big at least on the slides I have seen. I am pretty disappointed with the movies in Widescreen too.

But for compactness I think its great. I always wished for a bigger iPhone w/o the phone.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

ztrand
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Ok so hardware-wise it's pretty much what was excpected. Interesting but not revolutionary. It can still be awesome if they have integrated more stuff into itunes (or some other way). Movies, tv-shows, books, etc... would be quite convenient to have that as easily accessible as the AppStore is on iphone.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Yeah, that's what i mean. THe screen border on teh sides is way too wide.

The specs are at least kinda interesting. From Macrumors twitter:

Powered by custom Apple chip called A4. 1GHz, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB storage. 802.11n, WiFi, Bluetooth. 10 hours of battery life.

Since it can run unmodified apps from the iTunes store, my guess is the A4 is an ARM derivative of some sort, but considerably faster than any existing iPod. From what I've read, best guesses have put the iPhone 3Gs at around 600MHz and similar for the 3rd gen iTouch.

Since they also mention a pixel-doubled full screen for existing apps, I'm guessing the full resolution is 960x640. They'd have to scale your typical 1024-pixel-wide webpage by a little bit, around 6%.

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm

The thing is if I were to be carry a device this size, there are 2 things I want. The ability to multitask and to install whatever the hell I want. I was really, really hoping for a proper version of OS X than the iPhone OS.

ztrand
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Engadget live blog is very good. The standby time was very impressive (1 month!)... but then again, if theres no phone function it's not as hard to achieve

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Steve Jobs: "You can browse the web with it. It's the best web experience you've ever had."
It doesn't even have Flash, and Mr. Jobs loaded up a website with flash content on it only to see the missing plugin content icon pop up. /Facepalm
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:11 pm

Jive wrote:
Steve Jobs: "You can browse the web with it. It's the best web experience you've ever had."
It doesn't even have Flash, and Mr. Jobs loaded up a website with flash content on it only to see the missing plugin content icon pop up. /Facepalm

No flash sounds like the best web experience to me. ;)
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:12 pm

The only Flash you'd be missing is banner ads... so I guess that's not that much of a loss.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Starts at $500 for the 16GB model. Wonder if that sucks the wind out of the Netbook market? At least the higher end ones.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 pm

$500 for the 16GB version isn't bad. That's the same price as a decent netbook, and a netbook is still larger and generally stuck with a desktop OS. I'd say the touch interface and smaller size are worth the price premium.

edit: curse you Thresher!

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Starting at $500. Wow! No mention of multitasking so far though.

Edit: Damn!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:36 pm

Add 130 bucks to each model to add in 3G capabilities.

29.99 unlimited data access through 3g and no contract.

Ability to transfer existing purchased iPhone / iTouch apps to iPad.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:41 pm

So this is basically a big iPhone?
GO CARDINALS!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Not really, because it doesnt' do phone things. It's more a big iPod touch with optional 3G internet.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:46 pm

derFunkenstein wrote: