Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

will the iPad succeed?

yes: it's what people want
11 (16%)
yes: the RDF is stronger than its shortcomings
14 (20%)
no: i can better netbooks for a lower price
13 (19%)
no: does this thing even have a niche? what's it trying to do?
17 (25%)
cheese!
14 (20%)

Total votes: 69

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: your prediction: iPad, success or failure?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:09 am

The iPad doesn't have a niche -- it will create one. Especially at this price.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:12 am

Instead of buying this, buy a fancy watch. It'll get you more compliments.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Coran Fixx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:48 am

If there were a way to input text at a reasonable speed without the external keyboard I imagine my wife (the facebook addict) would be in the market for the ipad.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:37 am

willyolio wrote:
- no Flash support

Wrong
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:37 am

tanker27 wrote:
willyolio wrote:
- no Flash support

Wrong
There is only instance of the word flash on that page and that deals with storage capacity. What am I missing?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 am

DOH, I think I misunderstood, you mean Flash as in Flash in webpages!?

(Well hell thats a feature if you ask me Flash needs to die and die quickly. Note to flash there are other formats out there that are coded better and not as much a resource hog!)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:48 am

blitzy wrote:
I think the iPad is a sitting target, just waiting to be done better by someone else. Unlike the original iPod it isn't ahead of the curve in any way.

However, despite all of its shortcomings it will probably still sell enough to not be a failure. If the RDF can sell iPod shuffles, it can damn well sell a truckload of iPads. Its not a completely useless product, it's just that other products do some of what it can do a lot better.

I believe its ahead of the curve in the OS and UI aspect of it. The problem with netbooks, imho, and I've been a big netbook supporter from day 1, is that the OS isn't designed to run on a 10" screen with the odd lower resolution. I've tried all the Linux variants I could find, Moblin, Ubuntu netbook, the Asus, the HP, gOS, etc and they are all super buggy, or *something* doesn't work right, be it wireless, proper power management, whatever.

I said this before in one of the main page posts, but I wanted a higher resolution, touch oriented device that will let me browse the web properly in a proper aspect ratio. The fact that its from Apple and can run the apps i've already paid for on my iPhone is great, but I don't know how much I'll use them. I want to email, IM, and web browse. If you check email while you're in the web browser, you don't lose your spot. It saves your email progress etc, so the lack of a true alt-tab type multi-task isn't bothersome to me. I have multi-task enabled on my jailbroken iPhone and to be honest, I don't use it. I think the price is OK, and if theres a Skype or Google Voice app for it, then it CAN make calls over the 3G connection. The e-books are interesting and while the Kindle's screen is better for that type of thing, I don't want a $300 device thats ONLY for reading. If the iPad can provide me a decent e-book experience, then great. Jobs said they're using an 'open' format in ePub, I can use my existing Audible audio books, and the iPod portion does work in the background as it does on the iPhone, so thats fine as well. I dunno, I think people were expecting a Jesus device. This device does what it set out to do. Properly fills a niche between a MacBook and an iPhone.

I'll be picking one up, not because its Apple, but because Apple happened to be the first to provide a product I've wanted for quite some time.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:51 am

No multi-tasking, iPhone 0S, add-ons for everything.....meh, no thanks.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:21 pm

I think the iPad is a step towards what we (as consumers) really want in a tablet. But like it was said above, this isn't going to get there... but it will push us along the way.

What I think we want is a portable device OS/interface that is designed from the ground up to be a touch interface but still able to accomplish the tasks of an honest-to-god computer. Part of what works with the iPhone (and doesn't with Windows Mobile 6.x) is that it is designed to be used with your fingers. A large part of what works with a laptop is the ability to multitask & be productive. As an aside, not having multitasking on a phone is one thing. There isn't too much you want to do simultaneously on a phone. But with 10" of real estate, the consumer doesn't require a single application to take up an entire screen..

We've had touchscreen tablets in one form or another for years. Where are the apps that are designed for tablets? Where is your MovieMaker with bigger controls? Where is PowerPoint without the tiny buttons to select line width? Where is Word without a bold button that only a mouse pointer could love? What is the easy copy & paste gesture? What is the equivalent of right-clicking for a context menu?

We need a touchscreen OS that answers all of these questions and does so at the OS level. The iPhone OS goes a long way towards this goal, but it's not there yet. And until we get closer, I don't think tablet devices are going to be successful because that are at heart 1) A mouse-driven OS with a finger-friendly skin, or 2) a phone OS trying to play with the big boys.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:26 pm

It will be a modest success. However, the 2.0 and further revisions will be much better.

In the recent past, Apple has actually been pretty good about addressing the shortcomings of their first product entry and updating the design to include those features in later releases. I think right now, they're just trying to figure out what people want from this type of device.

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Thresher wrote:
In the recent past, Apple has actually been pretty good about addressing the shortcomings of their first product entry and updating the design to include those features in later releases.

They do this on purpose, IMO. Did it not occur to them to at least add one USB port? Allow for multitasking? Java? Perhaps a camera?
They always release updated designs addressing issues that could've easily been addressed in the first place. I guess this helps with their sales numbers.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:43 pm

BoBzeBuilder wrote:

They do this on purpose, IMO. Did it not occur to them to at least add one USB port? Allow for multitasking? Java? Perhaps a camera?
They always release updated designs addressing issues that could've easily been addressed in the first place. I guess this helps with their sales numbers.

You won't see USB on this, the iPhone, or the iPod any time soon. Not sure what the deal is with that, but Jobs seems to be USB phobic. But, at least the are offering a USB adaptor dongle for it, which will help. Multitasking is a good idea and I am not sure why they won't do that. I think perhaps this may be related to hardware in the iPhone. I suspect with the offering of the next OS for these devices, you may see it on the iPad, but not untill the next hardware revision of the iPhone. Java won't be on there for two reasons a) it runs dog slow on embedded devices like phones and PDAs and b) there really isn't much need for it on a device like this, not when the same things can be done easily enough through the app builder.

To me, the camera is a definite oversight and should have been in this, but I guess it will happen soon enough.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:55 pm

I did want to add something that I haven't seen addressed.

Years ago, MS tried with various partners to come out with a device that was supposed to be an extension of the owner's computer. It didn't have the full guts of a computer, but acted as a remote interface. The thing sucked for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that it was emulating the Windows OS completely and WiFi at the time was limited to 802.11b.

I think this would be the PERFECT device for streaming data off of the computer. It has its own GUI, so there is no need to emulate the desktop. Apps can be built to access various types of content. For instance, if you had a TV card on your computer (or a slingbox), you could use an application to stream the video to the device. This effectively renders the limited memory capacity irrelevant. With an unlimited plan for the 3GS version, you could stream your own content no matter where you are. It is especially effective for video content.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm

The hardware performance wise can't be the reason for no multitasking unless Apple is being extremely anal about keeping perfectly smooth transitions. I think it's a battery life issue but even then... I don't know. Look at Palm's WebOS. The Pre and Pre Plus handle the multitple applications in a brilliant way and the Pre is about equal in terms of hardware performance with the iPhone 3GS.

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Why don't you guys just wait and see how this thing turns out. I am sure none of you is omniscient or is able to accurately predict the future. Apps can turn the whole situation around. Current netbook software simply isn't suited for the small screens. I hate having to do things like excel on a netbook. The screen maybe fits 1/2 a page vertically.

Maybe the iPad will force developers into making apps specifically for it. I am talking about fully redesigned apps, meant for small screens.

So, just wait and see, instead of having epic wars over a product that was released just yesterday. I vote cheese.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

thecoldanddarkone

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:09 pm

sid1089 wrote:
Why don't you guys just wait and see how this thing turns out. I am sure none of you is omniscient or is able to accurately predict the future. Apps can turn the whole situation around. Current netbook software simply isn't suited for the small screens. I hate having to do things like excel on a netbook. The screen maybe fits 1/2 a page vertically.

Maybe the iPad will force developers into making apps specifically for it. I am talking about fully redesigned apps, meant for small screens.

So, just wait and see, instead of having epic wars over a product that was released just yesterday. I vote cheese.

Ehh, netbooks have changed alot, they aren't always 1024x600 anymore, many netbooks are getting bigger with higher resolution screens, or the same size with higher resolution screens. Look at the hp 210 hd. While excel on 1366x768 is not ideal it's better than with a touchscreen (i've actually done this) even if excel had a perfect ui for touchscreens it would still be much, much slower than a keyboard. Netbooks have evolved and are taking many different shapes, underpowered or not they have deffinitely changed the market. As for predicting the future, that cheese awnser exists for a reason. It's also why many people picked it.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I don't like the atom it runs@ 1.6 ghz but it's slower than my u7700 c2d@800 mhz in cinebench (single cpu score with multicore off in the bios). This is a processor that only has a 533 fsb.

Personally I think buying electronics just got that much more complicated.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:22 am

Thresher wrote:
I think this would be the PERFECT device for streaming data off of the computer. It has its own GUI, so there is no need to emulate the desktop. Apps can be built to access various types of content. For instance, if you had a TV card on your computer (or a slingbox), you could use an application to stream the video to the device. This effectively renders the limited memory capacity irrelevant. With an unlimited plan for the 3GS version, you could stream your own content no matter where you are. It is especially effective for video content.

Yup, I bought a used slingbox and use it for my iPhone. I dont keep my media on the phone save for a few movies. There are certain times I have queuing problems; trying to use it while moving in a car, I encounter queue issues when I have to cell tower hand off; and peak usage times.

I also use logmein for my iphone and main PC and I cant imagine using that with a screen that big, it would be beautiful! Logmein runs so well on the iPhone I am able to use Hulu with it :)

I am still on the fence about the iPad. Part of me wants (the gadget geek) the other half says wait for v2 (the sensible side).
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:27 am

A gigantic waste. Maybe the first real flop apple has had in some time. Oh, apparently fujitsu has a trademark against the iPad name - even funnier if Apple is forced to change all that marketing, brand, and production because they couldn't be bothered to look up the trademark Fujitsu has had since 2003.

Corrado

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:28 am

Skrying wrote:
The hardware performance wise can't be the reason for no multitasking unless Apple is being extremely anal about keeping perfectly smooth transitions. I think it's a battery life issue but even then... I don't know. Look at Palm's WebOS. The Pre and Pre Plus handle the multitple applications in a brilliant way and the Pre is about equal in terms of hardware performance with the iPhone 3GS.

I'm thinking that multi-tasking is going to be in iPhone OS 4.0 and it just isn't ready yet. Apple doesn't talk about things that aren't announced or ready, so thats why there is no mention of it. There were heavy rumors of OS4.0 having multi-tasking and that some of the beat SDK's given out support it as well. Since the iPad, at launch, will be running OS 3.2, theres obviously no multi-tasking.

Its also possible they haven't figured out how to elegantly do it yet. They probably want to maintain a certain level of performance, and if theres 3 or 4 apps open, thats maintained. But once you open 8 or 9 then it starts to slow down. Trying to figure out how to limit things like that is tough. Look at the flak MS received when wanting to limit Win7 Starter to 3 simultaneous apps. I know that on my JB iPhone 3GS, once you get above 3 or 4 apps simultaneously, it starts to slow down and the keyboard lags. One of the big big selling points of the iPhone is that it runs smoothly ALL the time (in stock configuration). Running 1 app, I've NEVER encountered any type of input lag or slowdown.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 am

Really its too early to tell if it flops, all you are basing it on is the naysayers. The consumers will tell the story if it will be a niche object or will the general public turn out in droves to buy it, ala the iPhone.

I wouldnt mind them calling it something else anyways. /shrug I liked iSlate.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:51 am

tanker27 wrote:

Yup, I bought a used slingbox and use it for my iPhone. I dont keep my media on the phone save for a few movies. There are certain times I have queuing problems; trying to use it while moving in a car, I encounter queue issues when I have to cell tower hand off; and peak usage times.

I also use logmein for my iphone and main PC and I cant imagine using that with a screen that big, it would be beautiful! Logmein runs so well on the iPhone I am able to use Hulu with it :)

I am still on the fence about the iPad. Part of me wants (the gadget geek) the other half says wait for v2 (the sensible side).

The nice thing about this is that you have no contract, so once the new one comes out, you can get a hefty amount for your old one and then buy a new one.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:44 am

if this had handwriting recognition, and a USB port, I'd be all over it. But I can't find a defintive answer; does it have handwriting recognition?? PLEASE tell me it doesn't so I can save 500 bucks...
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:29 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
if this had handwriting recognition, and a USB port, I'd be all over it. But I can't find a defintive answer; does it have handwriting recognition?? PLEASE tell me it doesn't so I can save 500 bucks...

Sounds like your just have craving for a new toy rather then spending $500 on something useful. Are you referring to handwriting recognition by pen or by fingertip? It currently (from what i know) does not have handwriting recognition, and for future updates, no one knows for sure what Apple will and wont do - no matter how much the public demands it *cough* multitasking *cough*. I wouldn't hold your breath.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:38 am

pen/stylus. I would love to have something I can use for writing notes on, without having to lug around spirals and binders to meetings and the like. Problem is, the only things I've seen that do that are too damn expensive--think 1,000+ tablets. toss in the ability to listen to music, browse the web and sync easily with my PC and you'd have the perfect mobile device for me. I can type really fast, but netbooks and smaller laptops have non-standard keyboards that throw me off pretty badly. And the bigger, 15" + laptops aren't nearly as portable as something like this would be.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:50 am

Nope, no handwriting recognition, at least yet. Though I know OS X has a pretty good engine built-in I haven't heard anything about its presence in the iPhone OS.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

MixedPower
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:50 pm

sid1089 wrote:
I am sure none of you is omniscient or is able to accurately predict the future.

I can. I selected the cheese option, and there is indeed cheese here in the future.
i5 4690K | Sabertooth Z97 Mk2 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 970 | 500GB 840 Evo + 500GB Spinpoint F3 | Xonar DSX | SS-660XP2 | Heligon | FT05 | U2413 + 2209WA | Corsair K90 | Logitech G502 | ProMedia 2.1 | Win 10 Pro x64

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Listening to the new Engadget podcast. Joshua Topolsky (who I've come to respect MUCH more after listening to him instead of reading him) really comes across as negative on the iPad. I think this is one of their more interesting podcasts. The brief bit on the number of page views they got on the iPad launch is very telling about how the "tech world" works now. It just feels that an increasingly large amount of people just want to be blasted with useless information and few people actually know anything deep about technology. The modern "gadget" world is becoming increasingly annoying to me.

EDIT: Perfect evidence. Right after I post this they start talking about the no Flash issue and HTML 5 gets mentioned. Josh of course doesn't seem to have a real clue what it is and that the data on YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu, etc's servers are already in the required format it's simply serving it up that is in Flash. Further though they are seemingly ignorant of the ad issue (the biggest reason that Flash will stick around for quite a while after IE 9) and other integrated features that have no easy implementation except with Flash.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 am

Skrying wrote:
Listening to the new Engadget podcast. Joshua Topolsky (who I've come to respect MUCH more after listening to him instead of reading him) really comes across as negative on the iPad.
Grrr... Topolsky has this annoying habit that sets my teeth on edge: He interrupts the other people on his podcast constantly. And they sometimes have good points, but Topolsky won't let them get an opinion in because he's too ADD to listen.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Yeah, welcome to late January, axeman, glad to see you catch up. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:09 pm

axeman wrote:
Wow, the RDF is really in full swing on this one. Apple's marketing is calling the iPad "magical". So now Apple is actually claiming laws of physics don't apply to their products. :P Or maybe they're alluding to the more secular definition of magic, in that they're trying to trick you into believing it is a good product when it really isn't.

Perhaps they took this phrase to heart a bit much: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Lot of hubris there. Oooh, touch screens! It's magic! :roll: