Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

iPhone 4 Benchmarks

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:24 pm

I was one of the lucky ones last week in the pre-order slot machine, and I got my iPhone 4 from the friendly FedEx guy today. I was upgrading from an old 16GB iPhone 3G. Since my wife also has a 16GB iPhone 3GS, it dawned on me that I have 3 different versions of the iPhone all at my disposal today. And, for a geek, that means only one thing... Benchmarking!!

So far I've tested boot times and load times for three different "large" applications (Navigon, Peggle, and Plants vs Zombies). I'll be adding some additional applications as I collect them. So far, the most interesting result is that the iPhone 4 actually boots up slower than my wife's iPhone 3GS! It isn't by much (and both completely trounce the 3G), but it was consistent after a number of attempts.

There are some other interesting results as well. Check out the numbers here:
http://glynor.com/blog/2010/06/iphone-4-benchmarking/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: iPhone 4 Benchmarks

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm listening to pandora on my iphone 4 right now. Unfortunately I have to wait until July 19th to activate it as my old carrier doesn't pro rate the last month(past the contract requirement) when you switch services. It's too bad that it won't let me put music on it until I activate the AT&T service.

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:24 am

I was just playing with one at lunch time. I wanted to have a look before deciding to get it or not. At the moment I've got the 3gs which I could sell back to my network for £227

How are you finding it so far?
Last edited by annabel on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:32 am

annabel wrote:
How are you finding it so far?

Amazing. But I upgraded from the 3G, so just the speed difference alone is unbelievable. The camera is really nice, and the fit and finish of the thing is really second-to-none.

annabel

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 am

Ach, I want it >.<

Stupid question, do all your apps stay? Can you just sync them up to your itunes? Take it you don't have to pay for them again or get iphone 4 versions...

How are you finding the screen itself? I did play about a bit, but not much.. It had a hideous background so I had to go in and check you could change it, which luckily you could.. thankfully I just flirted with the salesman so he let me fiddle with it :D
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:29 am

annabel wrote:
Ach, I want it >.<

Stupid question, do all your apps stay? Can you just sync them up to your itunes? Take it you don't have to pay for them again or get iphone 4 versions...

How are you finding the screen itself? I did play about a bit, but not much.. It had a hideous background so I had to go in and check you could change it, which luckily you could.. thankfully I just flirted with the salesman so he let me fiddle with it :D

Yeah, before you start when you get the new phone, sync your old phone one last time. Then, when you sync the new phone after connecting it to iTunes and activating it, it'll ask you if you want to set it up as a new phone or restore from a backup. Just select restore and choose your backup you just made. It restores all of your apps and even keeps the icon order and all of the settings. The only major thing that doesn't transfer over is any of your saved passwords (so for email you need to go back in and manually re-enter the passwords in the Settings app, and it will forget your WiFi passwords). Other apps similarly lose passwords, but don't always give friendly error messages. For example, AirVideo just gave me a "error connecting" until I went in and told it to Not Save Passwords in the settings and then tried to connect again so that it would pop up the prompt to ask me for the password again (after which I was able to re-enable the password saving feature). Other apps were a bit smarter about it (Dropbox just prompted me when I first opened it).

As far as re-paying for apps, you NEVER need to do that. The apps are tied to the iTunes account you're logged into, not to the device. For example, both me and my wife have iPhones. We both sign in to iTunes using a "shared" account and email address. Any apps that we buy, we can get for both of us. We sync to separate computers (me to my laptop, and her to our HTPC), and have separate sets of music and whatnot, but that doesn't matter. If I buy an app on my computer or phone, and she wants it, you just go in on her phone or computer and "buy it again". It'll come up and say "you already own this, so we're just downloading it again with no charge". All of my apps synced over to the new phone without issue, and as I mentioned above, it even kept my icon order and folders and everything (I had upgraded my old 3G to iOS 4 when the GM first came out, and spent lots of time organizing things into folders, so I was glad it didn't mess those up).

There might be some sort of device limit on this (perhaps the same five devices limit that applies to "authorized computers" in iTunes), but I've never run into it.

The screen is really unbelievably nice. You see the difference right away when you hold it next to an older model or other phones. I have access to some "tester" phones through my job, and I've used a Nexus One and an DROID both fairly extensively, and was able to compare it to those this morning (we also have a HTC Incredible, but someone else is using that one, of course). And, especially when you do something like pull up the home page of TR in portrait mode, you can absolutely see the difference. It basically blows all of the other phones I've tried out of the water. On my old 3G, the article text on TR's home page was legible, but the Top Discussion Topics and Top Forum Threads sections were not at all unless you zoomed in (similarly the "featured article teasers" were also very difficult or impossible to read without zooming). On the iPhone 4, the text is tiny (and you have to have good eyes) but it is perfectly legible without zooming in. Larger, more reasonably sized fonts just look crisp and perfect. I know there is all the controversy over the Retina Display claims, but I can tell you this... I have 20/20 vision and I can't see a pixel on text anywhere. Over 300 dpi is darn-good no matter how you cut it.

You can change the wallpaper to anything you choose (your own pictures or one of the included ones), and you can have separate wallpapers for the background and the lock screen. I chose one of the included simple slate-looking picture of a rock for my home screen wallpaper (I plan to get take nice picture myself for the background on my next hike). It works and isn't too busy. I don't see a simple way to turn the wallpaper off completely, but you could just make an all-black wallpaper in Photoshop or Paint or something and then use that.

I also tried out the camera and movie recording last night, and tested out iMovie as well. The camera works amazingly well. Daytime and indoor well-lit shots look just as good as my old Canon S50 point and shoot. It is DRAMATICALLY better in low-light situations, without the flash, than my old iPhone or my wife's 3GS. It also is substantially better than the Nexus One. The flash is kinda crappy. About what you'd expect for a single LED flash. It works, and it is serviceable. It can certainly let you take photos that you otherwise wouldn't be able to take at all, but generally it looks like a crappy flash, especially in complete darkness. I did find it could really help with low-light pictures in some circumstances, but it depended on the composition of the shot (close-ups were often overexposed a bit from the flash). It really doesn't work very well as a running light for the video recording features either. Again, it works, and it is better than no light, but you'll get much better color and less noise if you just turn on some lights yourself (or use a Litepanels MicroPro or something like that).

Still, I don't think I'll be bringing along a point and shoot on hikes anymore or things like that. During the day, it is a perfectly workable 5MP pocket camera. The only large downside is, of course, that there is no optical zoom. The digital zoom looks good though. I expected to prefer to crop-and-zoom after the fact in Photoshop, but it actually does a very good job. The camera app must be doing some sort of auto-correction and sharpening on the zoomed pictures because they came out a little better than I expected from vanilla digital zoom (we're not talking anything amazing here, Genuine Fractals could still do a much better job, but it is decent).

iMovie was a fun toy, but I think it needs another revision or two to really shine. Trimming clips could be clumsy, especially if you want to grab lots of little sections of one big recording. Trimming the In point (the "front" of the clip) was fine. Trimming the Out point (the "end" of the clip) could be an exercise in frustration. The playhead didn't seem to move to show the currently "selected" frame, and so you had to guess and then check it and then re-trim. I've only tried it once though, so I could be misunderstanding how you're supposed to do it. Also, I'm a professional videographer, and I use Final Cut Pro every day for work, so I might have much higher standards than most people. It does do a nice job outputting the video though. The 720p video is ROCK-SOLID at 30fps, which is very nice. One thing you do have to be aware of, though, is that when you upload video to YouTube through the phone itself, it doesn't upload the 720p version but sends a 360p version instead. You can get the full-quality video off of the phone via the normal method you use to get your photos (USB/Sync cord and Windows Explorer or whatever). When you "save" a project in iMovie, it asks you what resolution you want to save it to (240p, 360p, or 720p) and then renders it out to the Camera Roll like any other photo. That part of it works very well. I was shocked how fast it rendered out the little movie I made, and it did a nice job with the transitions.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:01 am

glynor wrote:
So far, the most interesting result is that the iPhone 4 actually boots up slower than my wife's iPhone 3GS! It isn't by much (and both completely trounce the 3G), but it was consistent after a number of attempts.

Are they all running the same OS version (iOS 4)?

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Buub wrote:
glynor wrote:
So far, the most interesting result is that the iPhone 4 actually boots up slower than my wife's iPhone 3GS! It isn't by much (and both completely trounce the 3G), but it was consistent after a number of attempts.

Are they all running the same OS version (iOS 4)?

Yeah... From the page:

Both of the older generation iPhones have been updated to iOS 4 (the initial release), and the iPhone 4 is running the software it had out of the box. None of them have (ever) been jailbroken, and all three are loaded with a similar compliment of Apps (the 3GS has a slightly different set, but they are essentially identical aside from the 3GS missing a handful of games that my wife isn’t interested in playing).

annabel

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:05 pm

That was some good reading glynor! Anything else you come across you'll need to let me know..

How's the data/download speed?

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:32 pm

annabel wrote:
How's the data/download speed?

I plan to do some simple page-load tests tonight. I imagine Anand will give us some more detailed analysis in a few days.

annabel

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Neato thanks lovely

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:33 pm

I updated it with some page-load tests (TR's front page, of course). The 3GS and the 4 basically tied. However, I found the iPhone 4 could handle having MANY more simultaneous tabs open at once without becoming sluggish.

firerules16
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 pm

This isn't really benchmark related, but I just wanted to mention how impressed I am with the camera on my shiny new iPhone 4. It just blows the crappy old iPhone 3G camera out of the water. I took this photo this morning in our front yard. Photobucket scaled it down a bit, so some quality was lost, but it gives you an idea of the type of quality pics this phone can take:

I7 4770K @ 4.3 ghz (delidded) | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | Asus Z87-A Mobo | G.SKILL Ares 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM| Gigabyte GTX 970 OC x 2 (SLI) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | 3 TB Mechanical Storage | Corsair Carbide 400R Enclosure | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W PSU

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Agreed completely. The camera (and the screen) just blows the old versions away completely.

annabel

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:14 am

Same number of tabs available?

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:12 pm

annabel wrote:
Same number of tabs available?

Yeah, unfortunately, it has the same limit.

I actually got all excited last night when I was testing it because I thought they HAD removed (or increased) the limit. At one point, I thought I actually had 12 "tabs" open on the iPhone 4, and more than 8 open on my wife's 3GS. But, it turned out that I was miscounting badly. I had accidentally re-used some tabs and thought I had brand new ones open. I had to start that part of the testing all over again (which caused my wife to complain loudly, since I was commandeering her phone for my obsessive testing), and that's part of the reason I didn't get to do more extensive website testing.

I'm positive they could up this limit on the iPhone 4 if they wanted to, and could probably even bump it up a bit on the 3GS. The 3GS hardly ever slows down even with the full 8 tabs open, unless you have some real "heavy" pages open (I find that the vanilla, non-iPhone Joystiq and Engadget home pages seem to be pretty heavy duty, among others), but you can make it misbehave if you open the "wrong" set of pages. I wasn't ever able to get the iPhone 4 to slow down with multiple tabs open, though I honestly didn't spend a whole lot of time playing with it last night. Of course, the 3G could barely handle 4 tabs open.

Overall, the web rendering speed is effectively the same as the 3GS, with my limited testing. However, I really only thoroughly tested the TR home page, which isn't a very "heavy" page, so I don't know that it was the best possible test. I'd really like to get some additional numbers, but there is some wife-acceptance-factor limiting going on. :wink:

annabel

Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Haha, well you're giving some awesome details.

I pretty much always have all the tabs in use on my 3gs. Some are just permanently open and I don't think I've closed them since the day I got my phone - yeek!

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:07 pm

annabel wrote:
I pretty much always have all the tabs in use on my 3gs. Some are just permanently open and I don't think I've closed them since the day I got my phone - yeek!

That was one of my wife's complaints. She took the phone back (saying something like "Finally!") and then yelled to me from the other room: "Awww, man! You closed all of my pages!!"

Oops! :oops:

annabel

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10641910

What are people that already have an iphone 4 thinking about this? Anything in it?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am

annabel wrote:

What are people that already have an iphone 4 thinking about this? Anything in it?

Shrug.....it's still pretty hard to get a 4, most places are still running waiting lists. So if it is a massive recall I hardly believe the supply chain would be ready. But then again maybe there is a version 2 that has been in the works.

Besides Apple offering up free bumper cases I really cant imagine what is going to be discussed.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

annabel

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 am

Hmmm a friends people having problems with the reception. But he thought it was the change in network. Wonder what they'll say!

Corrado

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm

annabel wrote:

I'm thinking I've had zero problems with my iPhone4 since launch day, and no reception issues. I had ONE dropped call that was to someone in a moving car, so its tough to say if it was AT&T or not. If they offer me anything, cool. If not, whatever, I'm a satisfied customer.

glynor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Corrado wrote:
annabel wrote:

I'm thinking I've had zero problems with my iPhone4 since launch day, and no reception issues. I had ONE dropped call that was to someone in a moving car, so its tough to say if it was AT&T or not. If they offer me anything, cool. If not, whatever, I'm a satisfied customer.

Same here. My reception has been uniformly better than with my older 3G, and better than my wife's 3GS. I also got to test side-by-side with my mom's Samsung junk-phone over the 4th (they were visiting) and my reception was generally better than hers could manage (I'm talking actual ability to make calls, not the useless bar graph on the phone).