Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

adisor19
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Vostrotosh 3400, anybody interested in the how to ?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 am

I recently hackintosh'd my new Dell Vostro 3400. It was a real pain as it is a new model and there was no previous track record on hackintoshing it and its level of success, but after weeks and weeks or installing and formatting, i finally managed to get it up and running :)

I'm thinking of posting the details and step by step if anyone is interested so this post is meant to get a pulse on the question.. so i guess let me know if anybody is interested in the details.

Adi

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Vostrotosh 3400, anybody interested in the how to ?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:04 am

They'd probably be more interested at Insanely Mac, especially if you got external video outputs working.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

adisor19
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:02 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
They'd probably be more interested at Insanely Mac, especially if you got external video outputs working.

Well, i have posted quite a few questions on the InsanelyMac forums but the thread is super long and the proper information is scattered all over the place. I was just curious if any of the TR readers were interested about the hackintoshing process or not as i've recently done it and could provide my take on it.

So far here's what works on the Vostro 3400 :

- Sound as well as the touch controls for the volume
- Web cam
- USB ports
- Track pad with basic gestures and the keyboard
- Video with FULL 3D acceleration as well as the VGA and HDMI out (nVidia 310m)
- Bluetooth
- Ethernet
- Battery info and power info
- Card reader and express card slot
- Restart and shutdown
- Back light keyboard control
- DVD burner

And here is what doesn't work and the potential solutions :

- Sleep. No solution so far but to shut down the laptop. A DSDT patch is needed in order to fix it.
- Speedstep. No solution so far, the CPU is always in the highest power state but i get a good 2 hours on the standard battery. Temporary solution here : get the extended battery which will provide about 4 hours of bat life. A DSDT patch would also solve this.
- Fingerprint reader. No solution and i doubt it will ever work as the company that manufactures it(Validity Inc.) doesn't have any drivers for OS X.
- Wifi. The Dell 1520 Broadcom based card does not currently work under OS X. The simplest solution is to spend 20$ on ebay and get something that does work out of the box like the Dell 1505.
- LCD light intensity control. It could probably be made to work if someone figures out a DSDT patch for it but as it stands right now, it's always on max level which is not that big of a deal.

That's about it. So, anyone interested yet ? :D

Adi

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:47 am

without sleep, I'd pass. So much power management stuff is very iffy on hackintoshes, which has always made the laptops unattractive to me. If I need OS X and a computer that goes to sleep when I close the lid, my options are 1.) get a Mac or 2.) get bent. Desktops without sleep are no big deal - I'm a big fan of Hackintosh on the desktop.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:54 am

I've contacted Apple and reported you. Their brown shirts should be knocking your door in any minute now.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:36 am

Brown? Jobs only wears black. :wink:
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:35 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
without sleep, I'd pass. So much power management stuff is very iffy on hackintoshes, which has always made the laptops unattractive to me.

That's the biggest problem I have with Linux and laptops. Stupid companies and their weird ACPI. Makes sense that it would cause trouble of Hackintoshes, too.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:11 pm

On OS X desktop PCs, at least, alot of the time you can get around it with DSDT.aml patches that the boot loader will use, replacing the table in the BIOS. From what I've read, lots of Dells just don't deal well with those patches, though.

adisor19
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:32 am

FuturePastNow wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
without sleep, I'd pass. So much power management stuff is very iffy on hackintoshes, which has always made the laptops unattractive to me.

That's the biggest problem I have with Linux and laptops. Stupid companies and their weird ACPI. Makes sense that it would cause trouble of Hackintoshes, too.

Yeah, that continues to be a problem to this day. Many BIOS manufacturers don't bother to properly optimize their DSDT tables or to even properly configure them. This leads to severe complications when it comes to power management on OSes that actually respect the ACPI standards like FreeBSD and Linux. Windows is a whole other ball game as many manufacturers like Dell, have specific tables in their BIOS made especially for Windows. They don't even bother testing the other tables which leads to lots of problems in *nix oses.

Adi

adisor19
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:36 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
On OS X desktop PCs, at least, alot of the time you can get around it with DSDT.aml patches that the boot loader will use, replacing the table in the BIOS. From what I've read, lots of Dells just don't deal well with those patches, though.

The DSDT patches are necessary for all x86 hardware, not just for desktop PCs. There are 2 reasons for it :

1) Most BIOS manufacturers have specific ACPI tables for Windows and also have corrupted and full of garbage tables for "other" OSes.
2) OS X only implements a subset of the ACPI specification. (probably on purpose)

A custom patched DSDT consists of modifying the ACPI code inside of it to make it look like a mac to OS X. This is still the best way to go as there is less messing around with custom kernel extensions and other modifications. A custom patched DSDT can go a long way to a stable hackintosh.

Adi

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Yeah, i know. What I meant is that there's a big pile of Dell hardware all over the IM forums that requires either a hacked BIOS or a CPUS=1 flag to shut down one of the cores, not just DSDT.aml patches.

redpocket
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm interested. Please post instructions. TIA

nunifigasebefamilia
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm interested. Thanks!

LargeBrk
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 pm

adisor19 wrote:
I recently hackintosh'd my new Dell Vostro 3400. It was a real pain as it is a new model and there was no previous track record on hackintoshing it and its level of success, but after weeks and weeks or installing and formatting, i finally managed to get it up and running :)

I'm thinking of posting the details and step by step if anyone is interested so this post is meant to get a pulse on the question.. so i guess let me know if anybody is interested in the details.

Adi

do you have an efi for that

mikenomara
Gerbil In Training

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:55 am

Thanks for this case. I also have the same solution!