Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

What does sync do on iTune?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:17 pm

For example, If I create a playlist on iTune and sync with iPad, the playlist shows up on the iPad. My question now is how to delete the playlist from the iTune and the iPad. Can it be done by deleting it either from iTune or iPad and executing sync on iTune?

windwalker
Gerbil First Class

Re: What does sync do on iTune?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Synchronisation is a very complex problem so it's unlikely that any given implementation can be completely unsurprising and intuitive in all cases.
In most cases involving media management, iTunes sync means mirroring the iTunes library onto the device.

For your specific case, I would say the easiest thing is to delete the playlist from both and not bother with any sync.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:34 pm

The example is just to ask if sync works that way.

Confusing thing about sync is that it mirrors not only iTune onto iPad but also mirrors iPad onto iTune. The direction seems to depend on the circumstance. It appears the latest change regardless of on which side it happens, propagates to other side.

For those other than media related items, change can happen only on iPad so that sync mirrors iPad onto iTune only.

Please correct me if the above is incorrect.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 pm

churin wrote:
For example, If I create a playlist on iTune and sync with iPad, the playlist shows up on the iPad. My question now is how to delete the playlist from the iTune and the iPad. Can it be done by deleting it either from iTune or iPad and executing sync on iTune?

Sync exchanges transactions that were done on your devices to iTunes to make it aware of your purchases. iTunes then downloads purchases from the store.
it will then send any music and video that is selected to your device and download any that are on the device not in iTunes.
Sync also does a backup of your device if you have that set.

Deleting a play list would take you deleting it on iTunes and on all devices I believe.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:30 am

Arvald wrote:
Sync exchanges transactions that were done on your devices to iTunes to make it aware of your purchases. iTunes then downloads purchases from the store.
it will then send any music and video that is selected to your device and download any that are on the device not in iTunes.

I never purchased song but do apps. I download apps direct to iPad and execute sync to let them copied to iTune or download apps to iTune and run sync to copy them to iPad. Can't I do likewise when I purchase songs?
Sync also does a backup of your device if you have that set.

A backup so created by sync CAN BE changed and that change seems to be transmitted back to iPad by executing sync again, whereas a backup created by executing Backup cannot be altered.

Deleting a play list would take you deleting it on iTunes and on all devices I believe.

Also, deleting a playlist on iTune can result in deleting it from iPad by running sync.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:04 am

churin wrote:
I never purchased song but do apps. I download apps direct to iPad and execute sync to let them copied to iTune or download apps to iTune and run sync to copy them to iPad. Can't I do likewise when I purchase songs?

Yup, pretty much.
You can synch with multiple computers as well so things start to get interesting there.
Not all computers will have the same music library.

Only one computer is considered the "Master" though.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:32 am

On an iOS device, if you have music synced with one computer, syncing with another will remove all the music from the device first.

To remove a playlist from an iOS device, go to the Music app, select Playlists, and swipe from right to left on the playlist. You'll get a delete button. In the iOS device's case, deleting a playlist will delete the songs from the device if the song isn't used in another playlist.

To remove that playlist in iTunes, right-click the playlist and choose delete. Songs will not be deleted because they'll still be in your iTunes library.

Hope this helps.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:37 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
On an iOS device, if you have music synced with one computer, syncing with another will remove all the music from the device first.

So if more than one iOS device is involved thing appears getting more complicated.

To remove a playlist from an iOS device, go to the Music app, select Playlists, and swipe from right to left on the playlist. You'll get a delete button. In the iOS device's case, deleting a playlist will delete the songs from the device if the song isn't used in another playlist.

I tried the above on my iPad(third generation) and iPhone 5 and found the behavior is different as follows:
Music->Playlists-->open a playlist->Swipe left to right on a song then "Remove" is displayed. I assume that the song is removed if I tap on the "Remove". Note that nothing happened by swiping left to right on a playlist.
To remove that playlist in iTunes, right-click the playlist and choose delete. Songs will not be deleted because they'll still be in your iTunes library.

OK, I understand this.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 pm

No, i'm sorry. It becomes more complicated if you want to sync a device with more than one computer. Multiple devices can sync with the same computer easily enough.

You should be swiping on the list of playlists. When you tap Playlists, it should show the playlist list. At least, on my iPad 2 with iOS 7 that's how it works.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 pm

That is due to my misunderstanding your reply. I got it now. So, I should stay with the same computer when doing sync.

I tried that swiping left-to-right and this time the screen display changed and "Edit", "Clear" and "Delete" are shown. I assume that tapping the "Delete" deletes the playlist.

emma24xia
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:46 am

To delete an item from your library:

Click the item to select it, and press the Delete key.
Click Remove.
Do one of the following: To remove the item only from your iTunes library, click Keep File. To delete the item from your computer, click Move to Recycle Bin.