Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Just my first impressions after watching the event here....

At "face value" (w/o holding it in my hands), looks like they "nailed" the smartwatch thing.... I think the Apple guys/gals may JUST have come up with the "smart watch" the world was looking for....

Anyways, curious as to the other "first impressions" that are no doubt making their way throughout the interwebz this morning....

**Gotta say tho... The "whole" you MUST have safari or whatever to watch the stream.......SOOO LAME. Sry apple....LAME! "Open vs Closed garden" at its finest! lol
Last edited by Anonymus_notthetroll on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4295
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Are you doing an impression of William Shatner as... a.... critic?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x
 
Dagwood
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:10 am

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:22 pm

LAUGH... out... LOUD

THIS... I... Watch... IS almost TOO... GOOD... to be... TRUE. It... MUST... be... some sort of... MISTAKE!
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25254
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:25 pm

The Safari requirement was probably to limit the number of potential viewers and keep bandwidth manageable. It was quite nimble, I'll give them that. Nary a hiccup.

OK I was half-way expecting Apple's serious push on wearables to start to convince me. But all I see is another messaging system tied to hardware, the time, some stuff a Fitbit already does. That's it. Still not buying smart wearables.

So I decided to get an Orange Watch.

Image

But man suddenly I want a new phone...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
SuperSpy
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2402
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:34 pm
Location: TR Forums

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm somewhat disappointed. New iPhone was no surprise, same with iWatch (I'm still calling it that) and iOS 8. Where are the rest of the product announcements? Usually there's shotgun announcement at the end, but this time we get nothing but U2 screwing around on stage.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560
 
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:34 pm

What the hell is up with the 1134x750 resolution on the iPhone 6?

I just don't get it. Coming from 960x640 --> 1136x640 --> 1134x750, why cut the pixels down by two? o_0

But congrats to the Jobs Mob for finally catching up to Android with a 1080p screen on the iPhone Plus.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 2080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | Intel 660P 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2
 
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1923
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:56 pm

"First impression": Apple is still an ever-stagnating company which has lost its "innovative" momentum many years ago and was never able to catch up. Not even today ;-)

First of all, they couldn't even livestream their event properly. I have a latest MacBook Pro, running latest OSX and Safari. My WiFi signal is extremely strong throughout the whole house. I gave up trying to watch their "livestream" after non-stop bufferings and connection time-outs. I just went to reading text "streams" on various "fan" blogs/sites while enjoying watching some buffer-free gaming streams at Twitch.tv :wink:

Second of all, it's cute that they finally copied NFC payment and camera OIS (but only for largest iPhone), as well as whole Android Wear platform (and an appropriate device), but they absolutely forgot to copy other useful features. Like more customization for iOS (so you know, you can suit your device more according to your individual preferences, rather than conforming to someone else's subjective "standards". Hello there, Jony Ive! :wink: ), front-facing (stereo or even mono) speakers, complete waterproofing, wireless charging, removable storage, and so on. None of these features are necessary but are still very useful for many people and can be found on many other existing Android devices. Oh well, there's always the "next year" for copying other existing features from other mobile platforms :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Dagwood wrote:
LAUGH... out... LOUD

THIS... I... Watch... IS almost TOO... GOOD... to be... TRUE. It... MUST... be... some sort of... MISTAKE!
bthylafh wrote:
Are you doing an impression of William Shatner as... a.... critic?


Lol... Cool it on the ellipses then????

Too much texting i guess....with UR mothers!!! lol jk jk jk. Couldn't help myself.

Point taken lol. Bill...Shatner...impression....out.............lol
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:03 pm

I am most excited about the 128GB versions.. will be nice to not have to lug around my 120GB iPod as well as my phone. The Plus is most likely too big for my tastes though.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25254
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
I just don't get it. Coming from 960x640 --> 1136x640 --> 1134x750, why cut the pixels down by two? o_0

The idea is that they want to keep the PPI count exactly the same as the iPhone 4 - present. (750x16)/9 = 1333.333333, so they just rounded up. Not exactly 16:9, but close enough.

JohnC the awesome thing is that there's choice. Got get a device you like. Others will get devices they like. I personally hate my S4. I've had it for 13 months and it's just...ugh. The battery life is probably the biggest thing for me. If the iPhone 6 delivers the promised battery life, that's big for me. I know newer devices also do better battery on the Android side, too, but man. My particular device doesn't get worse battery life than when I got it or anything, it's just always been bad.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:08 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
The Safari requirement was probably to limit the number of potential viewers and keep bandwidth manageable. It was quite nimble, I'll give them that. Nary a hiccup.

OK I was half-way expecting Apple's serious push on wearables to start to convince me. But all I see is another messaging system tied to hardware, the time, some stuff a Fitbit already does. That's it. Still not buying smart wearables.

So I decided to get an Orange Watch.

Image

But man suddenly I want a new phone...


Is there a "Kickstarter" or something for that bling you got there?? That is BANGING!! Google Glass what!?

Yea, na. Dont get it either. I actually enjoy NOT having something on my wrist.

Good call on "stream requirements". I agree. Uplay was smooth too.
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:13 pm

JohnC, your post could use more :wink: 's ( :wink: )

Now as for features, certain things you knock Apple for just don't make sense.

iOS Customization: From a company built on delivering complete products? Never going to happen. You buy an Apple product based on the product's design, not how you can modify the product. This is one of the continuing appeals of iOS over Android.

Front-Facing Speakers: why are you using the speakers on a portable device like this? Use headphones. In fact, Apple throws in a pair with every iPhone. The speaker is where it fits, and you really only need it for phone calls and text notifications.

Wireless Charging: I've always thought this was a gimmick.

Removable Storage: you might have a point here, but Apple does also sell upgrades to iCloud storage (and larger capacity models) so it is against their interests to offer this.

Android offers a lot more in terms of options, but there also ins't a sigular Android device. Actually, is there even a "standard" Android device by which all others are measured? That's great for some people, but others like having a complete product, and that's what the iPhone offers. I think Apple is doing a good job of continuing in that mentality. Whether that is safe or even good in the long run is another story.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
So I decided to get an Orange Watch.

Image

I meant to say that this is hilarious. I'd love to see a video/Vine of someone trying to trade this up for an "Apple".
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:21 pm

JohnC wrote:
"First impression": Apple is still an ever-stagnating company which has lost its "innovative" momentum many years ago and was never able to catch up. Not even today ;-)

First of all, they couldn't even livestream their event properly. I have a latest MacBook Pro, running latest OSX and Safari. My WiFi signal is extremely strong throughout the whole house. I gave up trying to watch their "livestream" after non-stop bufferings and connection time-outs. I just went to reading text "streams" on various "fan" blogs/sites while enjoying watching some buffer-free gaming streams at Twitch.tv :wink:

Second of all, it's cute that they finally copied NFC payment and camera OIS (but only for largest iPhone), as well as whole Android Wear platform (and an appropriate device), but they absolutely forgot to copy other useful features. Like more customization for iOS (so you know, you can suit your device more according to your individual preferences, rather than conforming to someone else's subjective "standards". Hello there, Jony Ive! :wink: ), front-facing (stereo or even mono) speakers, complete waterproofing, wireless charging, removable storage, and so on. None of these features are necessary but are still very useful for many people and can be found on many other existing Android devices. Oh well, there's always the "next year" for copying other existing features from other mobile platforms :wink:



Na. Apple is just "silly" half the time. The word APP. Silly. Reluctance to make bigger screen sizes to accommodate their different sized-hand user base. Silly. Reluctance to introduce/mimic already established software features (im looking at you widget and notification drop-down). Silly.

But ya gotta give credit where credit is due. They DID invent the "wheel". We all wanted smartphones. Some of us didnt even know that we did. Hi 2007!!

And the "wheel" only gets invented ONCE. "Revolution" is something that only comes every so often, yea? A little hyperbolic...but nonetheless true. Apple is the Smartphone. The smarthphone is Apple. Others tried before. Apple did it.

Still not buying a smartwatch lol. Ur sig is awesome btw. :) +infinity
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
morphine
TR Staff
Posts: 11566
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:24 pm

superjawes wrote:
Android offers a lot more in terms of options, but there also ins't a sigular Android device. Actually, is there even a "standard" Android device by which all others are measured?

The Nexus series.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:27 pm

morphine wrote:
superjawes wrote:
Android offers a lot more in terms of options, but there also ins't a sigular Android device. Actually, is there even a "standard" Android device by which all others are measured?

The Nexus series.


Boom. (lol jk)
Nexus 5 is vry nice. Highly recommend.
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25254
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:29 pm

I wish I could claim credit for it. I searched Google for an orange watch and that was one of the results.

What I don't get is why iOS has to be "customizable" for the Android fanboy crowd. It's not like they'd switch anyway; as soon as iOS introduced whatever it is JohnC is looking for, he'd come up with another reason. not to limit that to JohnC - lots of people do the same thing. The debate makes no sense. No single product is made for everyone. That's why 50-some percent use Android and 40-some percent use Apple and the rest use whatever else. Everyone found something that meets their needs and stuck to it.

It's funny - for so many, Apple is a "cult" or a "religion", but for so many of those same people, Android is their cult.

I'd like widgets on an iPhone but most of the best part of widgets is already implemented in the OS - the icon tells you something. The clock shows the time, the calendar shows the date. Maddeningly the weather app will NOT show the current conditions. I just want to choke someone.
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Apple did not invent the wheel, nor the smartphone. What they did was build on the work of others--by using existing technology--to release a complete product. The hardware worked, and they kicked off the apps to support it. Suddenly there was a product that people wanted to buy, and the market immediately turned to follow Apple. Same thing happened with the iPad...
morphine wrote:
superjawes wrote:
Android offers a lot more in terms of options, but there also ins't a sigular Android device. Actually, is there even a "standard" Android device by which all others are measured?

The Nexus series.

I thought about that after I posted. And yes, those Nexus devices look yummy...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:36 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I wish I could claim credit for it. I searched Google for an orange watch and that was one of the results.

What I don't get is why iOS has to be "customizable" for the Android fanboy crowd. It's not like they'd switch anyway; as soon as iOS introduced whatever it is JohnC is looking for, he'd come up with another reason. not to limit that to JohnC - lots of people do the same thing. The debate makes no sense. No single product is made for everyone. That's why 50-some percent use Android and 40-some percent use Apple and the rest use whatever else. Everyone found something that meets their needs and stuck to it.

It's funny - for so many, Apple is a "cult" or a "religion", but for so many of those same people, Android is their cult.



Yup. Na. Can always find something to complain about it if one wants. No pleasing some folks.

I agree tho, that thats NOT was senor JohnC was doing/saying. It can just be exasperating at times. Watching these huge companies (not just apple) run around like chickens with their heads cutoff. But on the other side of the coin. If it were an easy job to run apple, then I would've been up on that stage this morning. lol

For every hero theres a villain... Cant have first place without last. Blah Blah Blah. True though. iPhone needs Android. Android needs iPhone.
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9408
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:43 pm

6+ to me is too big. I mean come-on! http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/u ... -scale.pdf

I wasn't too surprised at their offering. The new A8 chip though. Doubling the transistor count from the A7 that's incredible for a one year iteration. If the battery life is anywhere as good as my 5 then I will be pleased.

SuperSpy wrote:
Where are the rest of the product announcements?


You do realize that most of the other hardware announcements are made at the WWDC keynote right?

As for the Apple Watch.../shrug. It's nice that includes fitbit stuff and I hope there will be a huge product line to go with it (from other companies). e.g. heart monitor, stuff for bicycles, etc. I wonder how water/sweat proof/resistant it is. 349 is an ok price. I mean my Seiko kinetic was 400. I'll add it to my Christmas list and will see what happens. My main concern is its product lifecycle. Is it now a yearly thing like every other Apple product? (Save for Apple TV)

As for the stream. I didnt have any problems or even a single buffering episode on my MBP. /shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 pm

superjawes wrote:
Suddenly there was a product that people wanted to buy, and the market immediately turned to follow Apple. Same thing happened with the iPad...


You simultaenously disproved yourself and agreed with me at the same time with that sentence. lol. (no offense, not trying to start anything. my handle is just a joke)

No one cared UNTIL Apple did it. Yea, blackberry was around...m$ had tablet pc s for a while..etc etc. NO ONE wanted to buy something like that until there was that good ol' 23% eaten fruit on the back.

Now. Was it just the fruit logo? Or was it something more? That one is more complicated. I know for sure, I dont have the answer to that one.

History, while not ALWAYS accurate, usually does not just outright lie. The "wiki" of the smartphone will undoubtedly state that the iPhone (Apple) was the catalyst that spurred this "tiny-computer" thing in eyes of humanity. Not just the hardware enthusiast. The entire world.
Last edited by Anonymus_notthetroll on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Really, the only thing I took issue with was the wheel comparison, as I consider the wheel a piece of technology. The iPhone didn't introduce new technology. Heck, many people already knew about smartphones before Apple jumped in.

"Innovative" is a sticky word to use when referring to Apple. They aren't creating a Mecca of revolutionary ideas, but they are doing things differently from their competition.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:57 pm

superjawes wrote:
Really, the only thing I took issue with was the wheel comparison, as I consider the wheel a piece of technology. The iPhone didn't introduce new technology. Heck, many people already knew about smartphones before Apple jumped in.

"Innovative" is a sticky word to use when referring to Apple. They aren't creating a Mecca of revolutionary ideas, but they are doing things differently from their competition.


I agree with that infinity%. In that vein, YES. They took existing tech...cpu, gpu, modern day UI etc etc...and built upon it. Yea, so i agree with ya.

They're kinda like chefs or whatever i guess then. But boy oh boy. Did we, as a society, have to endure A LOT of other chefs failing (or just not succeeding, there is a slight difference) while we waited for these Apple hooligans to come around.

Is it ironic that I just compared a company, whose logo is food, to a chef? i dunno lol
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1923
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:00 pm

superjawes wrote:
iOS Customization: You buy an Apple product based on the product's design, not how you can modify the product.

Want an aesthetically pleasing physical design? You don't need Apple - there are models like HTC One (M8) or Sony Xperia Z2/Z3. Both of which aren't "plastic toys" and look and feel very "expensive" due to their physical design and choice of materials. I've used both of these. Did you? Both can also do much more than overpriced "status device" for unimaginative sheeple ;-)
Want an aesthetically pleasing OS GUI design? You can do that too, on any Android device, without even "rooting" it, by using free "launcher" apps :P

superjawes wrote:
Front-Facing Speakers: why are you using the speakers on a portable device like this? Use headphones. In fact, Apple throws in a pair with every iPhone. The speaker is where it fits, and you really only need it for phone calls and text notifications.

I don't like using headphones when they are not necessary (neither on mobile devices nor for my home entertainment system or my PC). And most of the in-ear designs (including Apple's own) are extremely uncomfortable for me. Why do I have to conform to only one way of usage of certain feature, especially if it can be physically unpleasant? :wink:

superjawes wrote:
Wireless Charging: I've always thought this was a gimmick.

Have you used any of the devices which use it or are you simply conforming to Apple's opinion? :wink: They are extremely convenient because they allow you to easily place your phone on the charger even in complete darkness (good charging pads and phones are fairly "insensitive" to the placement and can also warn you if you slightly "misplaced" it) and on a phone protected by a skin/case (which might not even fit into proprietary dock), they reduce mechanical stress on physical connector and they allow for a complete waterproof design (because you can just plug the USB connector with a waterproof "door" and keep it that way for as long as you want).

superjawes wrote:
Removable Storage: ...but Apple... ...it is against their interests...

That's very unfortunate that you put Apple's interests above all else. Not all people do, though :wink:

superjawes wrote:
but others like having a complete product, and that's what the iPhone offers

But it doesn't :wink: A "lack of options" is not the same as "a complete product".
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:30 pm

JohnC wrote:
Want an aesthetically pleasing physical design? You don't need Apple...Want an aesthetically pleasing OS GUI design? You can do that too, on any Android device, without even "rooting" it, by using free "launcher" apps :P
I buy an iPhone and, right out of the box, it works as intended. If I try iOS and like it? Only one set of devices runs it, so I don't have to track down which hardware is best for me. I don't have to "fix" the GUI. It just is what it is.

I don't like using headphones when they are not necessary (neither on mobile devices nor for my home entertainment system or my PC). And most of the in-ear designs (including Apple's own) are extremely uncomfortable for me. Why do I have to conform to only one way of usage of certain feature, especially if it can be physically unpleasant? :wink:
If you're mobile, they're necessary. For 99.9% of people using smartphones for audio, they're necessary. Apple updated the earbud design to be much more comfortable. If they aren't comfortable now, get a better pair of headphones.

Also, adding front-facing speakers makes the design more complex, and possibly would require more difficult assembly, so there are other reasons to keep them on the bottom.

Have you used any of the devices which use it or are you simply conforming to Apple's opinion? :wink: They are extremely convenient because they allow you to easily place your phone on the charger even in complete darkness (good charging pads and phones are fairly "insensitive" to the placement and can also warn you if you slightly "misplaced" it) and on a phone protected by a skin/case (which might not even fit into proprietary dock), they reduce mechanical stress on physical connector and they allow for a complete waterproof design (because you can just plug the USB connector with a waterproof "door" and keep it that way for as long as you want).
It's my opinion as an electrical engineer. Everythings you say in its favor just makes it sound gimmicky.

That's very unfortunate that you put Apple's interests above all else. Not all people do, though :wink:
Apple has a product strategy. If you don't like it, don't buy Apple products. It's silly to demand features that go against that strategy.

But it doesn't :wink: A "lack of options" is not the same as "a complete product".
Options make things more complex. If you want an Android, you have to decide which hardware to get, whether it has the release you want, whether or not that release was modified, whether or not you need an app to "fix" OS release, whether you'll have access to the store you want, and possibly more. That could be fine for you, but that's not what Apple sells. You get an iPhone. Boom. Done. It works. And again, if you don't like how it works, get another device. That's the one option Apple offers, and it is the most important.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1324
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:33 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:52 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
So I decided to get an Orange Watch.

Image

But man suddenly I want a new phone...


Not the orange I was thinking of. (https://www.orangeamps.com/)

I was just thinking about getting a new watch the other day. I was looking at the Seiko 5, but this might sway me.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25254
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:00 pm

If I could find a way to put an Orange amp on my wrist you bet your ass I'd do it.

I printed out the PDF tanker27 linked. The iPhone 6 Plus is....well.....enormous. The top and bottom bezels, while symmetrical, are too much. The 6, though. I could see buying that, or rather the 6s next fall.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:

Not the orange I was thinking of. (https://www.orangeamps.com/)

I was just thinking about getting a new watch the other day. I was looking at the Seiko 5, but this might sway me.


Lol. Is this a NEW company btw??? The Orange guys??? Been seeing all this "orange" stuff around in the sweetwater catalog. Hadn't seen em before.

MusicMan ftw btw ( not that any1 asked, jus sayin). but WOW. Im assuming ur a shredder (no tmnt) if ur throwing up links like that. Vry impressed w/Musicman. The Reflex...boy oh boy can that girl sing. Kinda makes me rethink my Tele and SG... na, just kidding. Love you nadine and selena!! This new girl can sing though.....jeez. (and by sing i mean it sounds good..u know what i mean lol amazing tone)
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25254
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:45 pm

If you call 1960s "new"... :lol:

They're British and have their place in guitar history alongside Marshall, Fender, Gibson and the like.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
Anonymus_notthetroll
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Apple Sep 9th Event (first impressions)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:58 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
If you call 1960s "new"... :lol:

They're British and have their place in guitar history alongside Marshall, Fender, Gibson and the like.



yea, na. Just visited the "about" section on their site. Wow. Been around for awhile.

I am ashamed and embarrassed. I apologize ORANGE guys. lol jk. Vry cool. Have to look into em more.


Edit: (just read the last part of ur post lol)

Kind of a stretch when u thrown em in with the likes Fender, Marshall, Gibson etc etc etc. I mean. Come on. Mesa Boogie i have to believe has more notoriety than these guys (no offense ORANGE guys). Let alone one Mr. Leo Fender and one Mr. Les Paul.... No? Just me??

Edit #2:

"Kinda" was an understatement lol haha. No offense orange people. Im looking for sponsers btw...get @ me. No yoke. ;) hows the saying go again..."cars, guitars, and graphic cards.... then girls."
"I" before "E" except after "C". Thats weird.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
GZIP: On