Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

f0d
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

MOAR RAD - watercooled thermaltake x9 build

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:48 am

so i though i would start a post for my thermaltake x9 build, i still dont have all the parts (waiting on the corsair commander mini to control all the fans + some other bits and bobs)

i thought i would show some pics of the watercooling installed anyways

i have a few things in there that dont really help its aesthetic looks but helps with servicing and functionality

6 x 3000rpm scythe 38mm thick ultra kaze fans
2 x 2000rpm xspc xinruilian fans
2 x xspc rx360 radiators
1 x xspc ex240 radiator
1 x xspc 270 photon reservoir / pump combo
xspc raystorm block
bitspower barbs
bitspower clamps
xspc 90degree and misc other rotary fittings

soon to come corsair commander mini for radiator fan control
install rest of the computer :lol:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: MOAR RAD - watercooled thermaltake x9 build

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:05 am

Looks good.

I haven't custom-looped since about 2005 but I'd be wary of the short connection between the radiator and the reservoir. If it were me I'd have rotated the T piece on top of the reservoir, used a right-angle on the end of the radiator, and looped a 6-9" bit of tube around it to remove the stress on the connections that you have at the moment.

Perhaps connectors are far better than they used to be though, I'm a decade out of date ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

f0d
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:24 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Looks good.

I haven't custom-looped since about 2005 but I'd be wary of the short connection between the radiator and the reservoir. If it were me I'd have rotated the T piece on top of the reservoir, used a right-angle on the end of the radiator, and looped a 6-9" bit of tube around it to remove the stress on the connections that you have at the moment.

Perhaps connectors are far better than they used to be though, I'm a decade out of date ;)

its actually quite flexible tubing and i also "pre shaped it" with a heat gun and some aluminum tubing inside it
if it was the old days with hard as a rock tubing it would be difficult to do it the way i did but the xspc flx tubing is so soft and flexible that there isnt any pressure on the fittings at all

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:21 pm

How queit is the Photon res/pump combo?

There's a good chance I'm going to have money spare for a Fiji or two to complement a fancy new 4K or Ultrawide 1440p screen, and the prospect of cooling two cards using their two seperate 120mm radiators is depressing.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

wizardz
Gerbil

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:28 pm

i never liked 90 degrees connectors and always favored 45 deg barbs.Like Chryspy_ said, that connection between the rad and the rez...

can't wait to see the rest of this build! looks super sweet so far!

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:15 pm

f0d wrote:
if it was the old days with hard as a rock tubing it would be difficult to do it the way i did but the xspc flx tubing is so soft and flexible that there isnt any pressure on the fittings at all

Any idea how the XSPC Flx tubing compares to DangerDens DreamFlex tubing? I used to be one of those brainless people that thought tubing was just tubing, but that DD flex tubing showed me the light. It was a literal dream to work with given the flexibility, strength, low evap, and complete unwillingness to kink. Except I'll have to find suitable replacement for it since DD is no longer around.

thecoldanddarkone

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Kougar wrote:
f0d wrote:

Any idea how the XSPC Flx tubing compares to DangerDens DreamFlex tubing? I used to be one of those brainless people that thought tubing was just tubing, but that DD flex tubing showed me the light. It was a literal dream to work with given the flexibility, strength, low evap, and complete unwillingness to kink. Except I'll have to find suitable replacement for it since DD is no longer around.

I personally used Tygon after a failed setup with the crappy stuff, it was 7/16 over half inch barbs.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:47 am

+1 for Tygon.

It was the best stuff back then, no question - and it's been in use for decades for scenarios far more important than some lowly consumer electronics like a home PC.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 am

Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

f0d
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:10 am

48 hour leak testing time.!
(i havnt put the paper towels around yet - gonna do that in a sec)

LEDS suck.!
that said as you can obviously tell im gonna have a go with plain white LEDS and see how it looks in the end, i can always rip them out if i dont like it
anotherengineer wrote:

me want

Chrispy_ wrote:
How queit is the Photon res/pump combo?

There's a good chance I'm going to have money spare for a Fiji or two to complement a fancy new 4K or Ultrawide 1440p screen, and the prospect of cooling two cards using their two seperate 120mm radiators is depressing.

its pretty quiet - i only just filled it up and got the air bubbles out, doing a 48 hour leak test before i put the motherboard back in
i like the mount on it which is super stable and its made out of glass not plastic like 99% of other reservoirs
wizardz wrote:
i never liked 90 degrees connectors and always favored 45 deg barbs.Like Chryspy_ said, that connection between the rad and the rez...

can't wait to see the rest of this build! looks super sweet so far!

thanks

the connection is fine there isnt any pressure on it and there hasnt been any leaks yet after a few hours - will see how it goes running for 2 days straight
Kougar wrote:
f0d wrote:

never used DD tubing but i have used early tygon and primochill tubing and its much better than both imo
primochill stuff was so damn hard
tygon was better than primochill but it doesnt seem to be as soft and flexy as this xspc stuff

that said i did use tygon in the early 2000's and i just had a look and they have a huge variety now (maybe they did before but it wasnt available to me in aus)
thecoldanddarkone wrote:
Kougar wrote:
f0d wrote:

I personally used Tygon after a failed setup with the crappy stuff, it was 7/16 over half inch barbs.

did you use clamps? i have seen people using 7/16 on 1/2 inch barbs and not use any clamps and it looks pretty sweet
im too scared i might pop a leak to do that myself (although i do agree it should be a tight enough seal im just too scared lol)

f0d
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:25 am

finally finished - had to wait for a bunch of parts before i could finish it (and theres probably a bunch more things i want to do like getting some better molex cables to make the wiring look better)

6 X ultra kaze 3000rpm fans
2 X xspc xinruilian 2000rpm fans
1 X noctua NF-P14s redux 1500rpm
1 X thermaltake crappy fan that came with it (thought i would put it in anyways to help cool the hard drives)
1 X delta 60mm he 6800 rpm fan for vrm cooling
2 X xspc rx360
1 X xspc ex240
6 X leds
5 X hard drives
1 X ssd
xspc raystorm
xspc photon d5 270
corsair commander mini
xspc and bitspower fittings
bitspower clamps
drain and fill tube for easy maintenance
also this is a daily driver - not a show car... err... computer

Kougar

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Looking good!

Your clamps caught my eye, much nicer than the typical plastic clamps. The price on those is nuts though! :o