Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Any cure for a whining power supply?

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:35 pm

Oh, hi guys. I have a Corsair CX500M. It is itself an RMA replacement for a power supply that doesn't exist anymore (a Corsair HX500 or something) and thusly not in warranty anymore. It has a case of the coil whines when it's under even the slightest inkling of a load - and I've eliminated all the other sources I can eliminate; booted from onboard graphics with the GPU pulled, down to just my boot SSD plugged in to power, and then load down the CPU a little bit - generally, firing up a virtual machine and use it for email/internet/remote desktop is enough to get it going. Whine.

Is there a cure? My office is quiet enough most of the time that I hear it and it bugs me like nuts, and since I work from home that means I'm with it all day. So it's gotta go. Is the only solution replacing the power supply?

Related note: Haven't had to buy a power supply in a long time. I'm looking at a Seasonic S12II 520 as the replacement, and it has just the . Since Seasonic makes a lot of OEM PSUs that are very well loved, I figured I might as well go straight to the source. Is that a reasonable selection for $60? The review on johnnyguru is absolutely glowing, but that review is like 4 years old. Just want to make sure advances in PSU tech haven't gotten to where this is a middle-of-the-road selection. Modular version isn't much more, if it's the same quality I might jump on that.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Any cure for a whining power supply?

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:41 pm

Some more electronically minded people will have to weigh in, but as far as I know you can just find the offending component and hot glue it down.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Hot glue on the whiny coil once you locate it. BE CAREFUL!!!
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:59 pm

That's kind of a scary thought. How do I know what's whining unless I run it with the cover off? How do I prevent myself from taking a jolt? Maybe this is over my head.

I'm gonna get myself killed all the way to death. :lol: Maybe replacing and not thinking twice about it is the better bet.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
That's kind of a scary thought. How do I know what's whining unless I run it with the cover off?

Wooden stick, pencil, etc. Hold it against anything you think is buzzing. Not the fan. :P

derFunkenstein wrote:
How do I prevent myself from taking a jolt? Maybe this is over my head.

You need an erectrician for the best advice on this bit. But "not touching anything with your fingers" is usually a good rule of thumb.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:31 pm

morphine wrote:
You need an erectrician for the best advice on this bit. But "not touching anything with your fingers" is usually a good rule of thumb.

Stick with an unsharpened pencil and use the eraser end to poke around for the offending coil.

If you do stick a finger in, only one at a time and keep your feet off the floor. You're essentially a bird on a power line.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:29 pm

If you use a pencil watch out for the metal collar on the eraser end. Although you should be safe since the wood is non-conductive, it could still short out stuff if you touch the metal part to any live circuits. Really would be better to use something made entirely of plastic or wood. Basically, you're looking for a coil that causes the whine to change or stop when you press on it gently.

TBH if you've never worked around high voltages before I would advise against this particular little adventure...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:36 pm

My electronics friend says that it could be its loose and then hot glue might fix it. Or it could be the driver of the oscillator that is going. I forgot to ask him consequence if oscillator driver fails. Probably not good down the line.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:08 am

I'm gonna get myself killed all the way to death. :lol: Maybe replacing and not thinking twice about it is the better bet.

TBH if you've never worked around high voltages before I would advise against this particular little adventure...

People have been killed opening up PSUs for repairs and spare parts. DON'T DO IT! Buy another PSU.

Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:38 am

whm1974 wrote:

People have been killed opening up PSUs for repairs and spare parts. DON'T DO IT! Buy another PSU.

too easy... aren't you even a little bit adventurous?;)

just be carefull... it's not that hard to not get electrocuted :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:21 am

Usually the internet is up for whatever as long as it's entertaining, so I'm a bit alarmed that so many of you are advising against it. Since I'm only a little adventurous, I think I'll pass. :lol:

So what's everyone think of the S12II or M12II?

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:09 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Usually the internet is up for whatever as long as it's entertaining, so I'm a bit alarmed that so many of you are advising against it. Since I'm only a little adventurous, I think I'll pass. :lol:

So what's everyone think of the S12II or M12II?

I'll take it off your hands...
I have a glue gun that uses 5/8" sticks.
Hot glue and ducktape in hand, I can fix anything! :D
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:13 am

I have a friend who's an electrician. I might give it to him to play with and then hang onto it as a spare.

SuperSpy

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:19 am

In all honesty it's not that big of a deal as long as you make sure you use something completely non-conductive like plastic and practice caution when poking around inside the power supply. The slightest pressure on the misbehaving component will change it's tone so it should be pretty easy to figure out which one is doing it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:35 am

My main concern here is that since it whines only under load, he'll need to have it opened up *and* still connected to the system to find the source of the whine. Open PSU + open PC + wires dangling all over the place + poking around inside the PSU while everything is powered up just doesn't sound like a good idea for someone who hasn't opened up PSUs before.

I don't think I would do this myself unless I had a secondary system to use as a guinea pig!

SuperSpy

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:39 am

Nothing a work bench and a c-clamp can't solve! :lol:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:42 am

morphine wrote:

Ok I just laughed my ass off at this!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
My main concern here is that since it whines only under load, he'll need to have it opened up *and* still connected to the system to find the source of the whine. Open PSU + open PC + wires dangling all over the place + poking around inside the PSU while everything is powered up just doesn't sound like a good idea for someone who hasn't opened up PSUs before.

I don't think I would do this myself unless I had a secondary system to use as a guinea pig!

Yah, this is what's bugging me, too. At first I thought "oh no big deal I'll just open it up and hot glue this...this...which part is it again?"

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:42 pm

I suppose you could just open it up and put some hot glue on anything that looks like a coil...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:45 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Yah, this is what's bugging me, too. At first I thought "oh no big deal I'll just open it up and hot glue this...this...which part is it again?"

Whereas I work in my home's circuit breaker panel with it live.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm just going to recommend a replacement.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:06 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:

so does anybody have an opinion on the Seasonic S12II or M12II? The prices seem right, and as I mentioned the johnnyguru review is glowing, but it's 4+ years old.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:11 pm

See if you can someone who reviewed that model online and posted pictures of the innards. Link it here and let some of us point out the coils that need to be hot glued.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:17 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I heard that if you get zapped enough times, you build up immunity.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Yeah, I've done that a couple of times too. But only to replace a single breaker that was making buzzing noises, nothing more involved than that. I should probably just redo the whole panel at this point, or I'll be replacing breakers one at a time for the foreseeable future as they act up.

divide_by_zero
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:38 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:

so does anybody have an opinion on the Seasonic S12II or M12II? The prices seem right, and as I mentioned the johnnyguru review is glowing, but it's 4+ years old.

I haven't worked with either of those models extensively, but in my experience it's really hard to go wrong with a Seasonic PSU.

localhostrulez

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:47 pm

divide_by_zero wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:

I haven't worked with either of those models extensively, but in my experience it's really hard to go wrong with a Seasonic PSU.

My old desktop had a 520W S12II. Very quiet and cool running, although an i5 750 and 550ti wasn't exactly pushing it to the limit. One of these days I'll do something with it - it's in the closet at my parents' house right now.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:12 pm

Good enough for me. Just ordered an S12II 620W (I figure for $12 it's good to be prepared for the future, plus my system is kinda beefy with a 3570K at 4.5GHz and a GTX 970). Thanks guys.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:30 pm

morphine wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I heard that if you get zapped enough times, you build up immunity.
So you're saying all those times as a kid I shuffled my stockinged feet on the carpet and got shocked, I was practicing a kind of homeopathy?

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:33 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
So you're saying all those times as a kid I shuffled my stockinged feet on the carpet and got shocked, I was practicing a kind of homeopathy?

Yes, and according to homeopathy, even those small amounts of current will give you immunity against larger ones :lol: