Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

I think PSU

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:55 pm

Soooo....... I mentioned this in another thread I made. Ok so, I bought a DVD Drive recently. It is a sata connect drive. After I plugged it in my computer wants to shut off trying to turn it on the first time, then it starts the second time or it has so far. I think it is something to do with the PSU, but I am not sure so far. I have tried moving the sata connectors around to different drives and all that. I thought I had fixed it, but it just did it again and I am unsure of what exactly I need to check to make sure everything is ok with it.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Re: I think PSU

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:58 pm

What power supply is currently installed in your desktop? Name? Model Number?
Possibly the DVD Drive is bad if you never had this problem before connecting the DVD drive.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Also, I am on a 650 watt PSU. I have 2 HDD connected. I have the motherboard connected. The CPU fan is connected. I have 2 case fans connected. I have the DVD Drive connected. I have a GeForce 750ti connected and I have an SSD on the way. I hope that is enough for those connections. This is a PSU from my previous build and am trying to use it with this new setup.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:02 pm

It is an Antec 650 watt with purple sticker on it.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:14 pm

Depending on how old the Antec power supply is I still doubt the power supply has anything to do with your cold boot issue. What happens if you leave the power connector to the dvd drive unplugged, and try to do a cold boot? Does it boot on first push of the power button on the case?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:35 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Depending on how old the Antec power supply is I still doubt the power supply has anything to do with your cold boot issue. What happens if you leave the power connector to the dvd drive unplugged, and try to do a cold boot? Does it boot on first push of the power button on the case?
I got everything set up on like Saturday 2 weeks ago and it started doing this on after I got the DVD Drive on like Tuesday of this week, like right after I plugged in the DVD Drive.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:41 am

Your system draws less than 180W under load so the power supply wattage isn't a question. (TR used an i7-3820 in their test system)

Just to clarify: when you press the power button, the system turns on then restarts? Or does it turn on, turn off, then you have to press the power button again? This happens every time? How far in the boot process does it get? To the Windows logo? Just the BIOS logo?

Have you checked the boot order in your BIOS? Having the DVD drive as the first boot device could cause this. (just something quick and free to try)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:06 am

DPete27 wrote:
Your system draws less than 180W under load so the power supply wattage isn't a question. (TR used an i7-3820 in their test system)

Just to clarify: when you press the power button, the system turns on then restarts? Or does it turn on, turn off, then you have to press the power button again? This happens every time? How far in the boot process does it get? To the Windows logo? Just the BIOS logo?

Have you checked the boot order in your BIOS? Having the DVD drive as the first boot device could cause this. (just something quick and free to try)
When I press the power button it turns on, gets to the boot logo then turns off. I have to press the power button again and it comes on all the way.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:15 am

Simple thing to try: take off the DVD drive and does it go back to normal, even after repeated reboots?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:36 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Simple thing to try: take off the DVD drive and does it go back to normal, even after repeated reboots?

Already tried asking that question. :wink:
biffzinker wrote:
What happens if you leave the power connector to the dvd drive unplugged, and try to do a cold boot? Does it boot on first push of the power button on the case?

I'm wondering if the DVD drive is bad or damaged, at this point I would imagine a DVD drive not being a high dollar item has resulted in quality not being of the highest importance.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Welp, I took the DVD Drive off of the power supply and it is still doing it. I am getting a little scared with this. I would really like to know how to fix this. Also, it does it right after boot logo. It goes to boot logo, then right before the little windows circle for windows 10 starts up it cuts off. Then on second try it boots does the boot logo and it allows the windows circle to continue and goes into OS.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Also, sorry it is taking me so long to reply at times. My internet has been going out for periods of time.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:26 pm

Sounds like some safety feature is getting tripped or it could be marginal hardware. Did you check the plastic push pins for the in box Intel heatsink when you changed over the motherboard? Are they pushed down as far as allowed? Did you check the back-side of motherboard, and make sure the push pins went through all the way? If the instant power off related to the CPU overheating it's suppose to throttle unless the motherboard is telling the power supply to cut power. I had a AMD socket AM2 Foxconn motherboard start acting almost similar to what is happening eventually it died, and the next power on nothing no post or boot.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:35 pm

When you say "boot logo" I think your referring to the POST (Power On Self Test.) Something is happening before Windows 10 starts booting so it's unlikely related to your boot drive. That leaves you with checking your hardware (power supply, motherboard, and DDR3.) If your using a dedicated graphics card wouldn't hurt to drop down to the Intel GPU on the CPU.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:59 am

Ok, I have done some testing on it. I took the case off and removed the card. I turned it back on with case off and card off. It started fine. I started it two more times with both off and it started fine. I put the card back in and started it 3 more times and it started fine. I put the case back on and plugged the case fan in and it did it again. I took the case back off and started the computer 3 more times and it has started fine. I believe the culprit is the case fan.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:00 am

This thing is starting to frustrate me. I just turned it on without the case connected and it did it again. I tested it multiple times and it worked, then I just turned it on without the case on and it did it again.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:39 am

Lol. I just switched connecters on the case fans. One in the back, one on the case and it has worked with 4 cold boots. All worked. I do not understand/

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:42 am

Which case are you using? Did you add any fans to case besides what the case came with?

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:50 am

biffzinker wrote:
Which case are you using? Did you add any fans to case besides what the case came with?
I used an older Antec Case that I was using to cut costs on the build. I replaced the other fans because the other ones were a little long in the tooth. They needed to be replaced. Also, I just did 5 cold boots in total now with this last one having the PSU turned off and back on and it still worked. I am just kind of expecting it not to work on the next try when I am not trying now.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:55 am

Same here, I reused my Antec Three Hundred case when I switched over to new CPU/motherboard, and replaced the power supply just in case of capacitor fatigue.
Edit: I forgot I replaced the case fans with these Cougar Vortex PWM fan
Last edited by biffzinker on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:03 am

biffzinker wrote:
Same here, I reused my Antec Three Hundred case when I switched over to new CPU/motherboard, and replaced the power supply just in case of capacitor fatigue.
Yeah, I was just crossing my fingers that the PSU would be good to go. It was working fine with the other setup. It just started doing this after I changed things over. Even though now I have cold booted the thing 5 times with the last one having the PSU turned off and back on and it hasn't done it. Now I am just waiting for when I am not trying and not thinking about it for it to happen again.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:10 am

So is everything plugged back in including the DVD Drive?

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:20 am

It just did it again on the 6th try after having it turned on for a minute. Yeah, everything is plugged back in. I do not understand this and it can't be good me turning it on and off like this.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:54 am

This really sounds like a defective PSU to me.

Could also be that the motherboard has been damaged though.

At this point you really need to try testing it with a different PSU to narrow things down.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:16 am

Would a short be causing all these?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:32 am

Flying Fox wrote:

I suspected a short might be causing trouble. Twas why I asked toki about removing everything from the case, and try testing on a card board box (anything non-conductive.)

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:46 am

biffzinker wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

I suspected a short might be causing trouble. Twas why I asked toki about removing everything from the case, and try testing on a card board box (anything non-conductive.)

Maybe he forgot a standoff or two. Something to check for.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:40 pm

I just don't understand. I took the card out and have been running the computer. It cut on fine the first run, I cut it off again and let it sit for a second and cut it back on again. It cut on fine on the second run. It all just seems really sporadic.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:50 pm

So no extra metal stand-offs behind motherboard other than the required to mount the board all stand-offs lined up with the motherboard holes? You made sure not to cause any additional flexing to the motherboard when putting in the RAM sticks in the slots?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:53 pm

toki wrote:
I just don't understand. I took the card out and have been running the computer. It cut on fine the first run, I cut it off again and let it sit for a second and cut it back on again. It cut on fine on the second run. It all just seems really sporadic.

What "card" have you been talking about? A discrete graphics card? Some SATA controller card?

What do you mean by "cut on" and "cut off"? Do you mean the system power on and power off? Or did power just "cut off"?

Kind of confused.