Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Case Dust Filtration

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:59 am

So, I'm finally getting sick of cleaning the dust out of my desktop every few months, and I'd like to have some dust filtration on the intake fans.  The case (Corsair Carbide 500R) only came with one dust filter and that's on the bottom of the case for the PSU and bottom intake fan.  I already have positive air pressure, but I'm not sure it's doing me much good with this humongous perforated side panel with a 200mm fan on it.  What do you guys use and or recommend for dust filtration? Anyone using DIY solutions?  I'm looking for something cost effective and fairly simple.

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Case Dust Filtration

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:38 am

The cheapest solution I found in the dim and distant past was a pair of tights (I think the word in the US is pantyhose) cut to size and stretched over the fan mounts, the friction between the mount and the case held it in.
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:45 am

Yep, pantyhose work well.

Also, DEMCi if you need custom-fit gear. They're not cheap, but very good.

http://www.demcifilter.com/c29/CARBIDE-500R.aspx
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:27 am

+1 for pantyhose.

You have some choice in the color and density of the mesh. You can also get extra control of the mesh base on how much you stretch.

--SS

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:30 am

Just remember to clean the filter frequently -- a clogged filter will restrict airflow to the entire system!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:25 pm

I was hoping for something other than pantyhose. >.>

Is that really what you guys use, or are you not using anything at all?  I saw the stuff from DEMCi, and it looks like that would solve most if not all of my dust problems, but it's about 50 bucks for the whole 500R kit.  50 bucks would buy me years of compressed air cans to deal with the dust that way.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:57 am

TBH I've skipped the case air filtration on the past couple of builds. Seemed like I could never remember to clean the filters anyway.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:51 am

Front air filter a must has always restricted my choice of case.

Remember a article,can't remember where that recommended getting hepa filter material from vacuum cleaner shops for DIY.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:22 am

If you're going to use HEPA filters, you're going to have to tolerate a lot of fan noise since they're very very restrictive and will almost completely block any low-rpm, low static pressure fans.

The best option by far is a case that has a very easy to reach fan filter and just bang it into the trash can once every couple of months. The CM and Fractal cases are great for that, you can have the filter out, cleaned, and replaced in about 20 seconds, which is about the same time as it took you to read this post and mentally decide whether that's accurate or an exaggeration.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:30 am

Acidicheartburn wrote:
I was hoping for something other than pantyhose. >.>

Is that really what you guys use, or are you not using anything at all?  I saw the stuff from DEMCi, and it looks like that would solve most if not all of my dust problems, but it's about 50 bucks for the whole 500R kit.  50 bucks would buy me years of compressed air cans to deal with the dust that way.

I don't actually use pantyhose any more - I have a Fractal Design R3 which has great filtration. But pantyhose is cost effective and simple!
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:59 am

Something like this?  (just search fan filter on newegg)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:31 pm

DPete27 wrote:

I saw this and others like it, but at 5 bucks a fan, and the big 180mm fan on the side of my case plus surrounding mesh makes getting those a little moot.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:35 pm

What options are available for blocking out finer dust particles besides lint/clothing fibers? If Acidicheartburn doesn't mind me asking in his thread.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

I saw this and others like it, but at 5 bucks a fan, and the big 180mm fan on the side of my case plus surrounding mesh makes getting those a little moot.

Suggest an actual product and I get shot down because it's too expensive.  Can't win with this guy!  Ok, $3.50 EA for the two 120mm filters (+shipping?) and $4 for the 180mm filter (otherwise if you wanted to stick with Silverstone they make a 180mm filter for $6).  I don't know what to tell you other than that, other than Nylons like everyone else has already said.  That mesh side panel is a challenge, I agree.  Probably best to just have a large filter that covers the entire thing.  Maybe measure the size of the mesh and check FrozenCPU for bigger sheets or search your local hardware store for some fine window-type screen.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:53 pm

DPete27 wrote:

Oh that is nice. Been needing something for the side grill for a long time. Extra bonus, you can slide a pantyhose through that and you get a double sided filter! Not that I ever admit to taking anyone's pantyhose to use as a computer filter or coffee filter.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

Frugal
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:33 pm

The secret of the pantyhose is you wear it over your head so that you don't lose any hair or dead skin outside of your bunny suit.  That creates zero fan noise.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Frugal wrote:
The secret of the pantyhose is you wear it over your head so that you don't lose any hair or dead skin outside of your bunny suit.  That creates zero fan noise.

And then you rob a bank.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:39 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Acidicheartburn wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

Suggest an actual product and I get shot down because it's too expensive.  Can't win with this guy!  Ok, $3.50 EA for the two 120mm filters (+shipping?) and $4 for the 180mm filter (otherwise if you wanted to stick with Silverstone they make a 180mm filter for $6).  I don't know what to tell you other than that, other than Nylons like everyone else has already said.  That mesh side panel is a challenge, I agree.  Probably best to just have a large filter that covers the entire thing.  Maybe measure the size of the mesh and check FrozenCPU for bigger sheets or search your local hardware store for some fine window-type screen.

Hey man, don't take me the wrong way! :(  I'm just looking for something DIY and cheap.  It's not a terribly important problem I'm trying to solve; I wanted to see if there were any quick solutions people had that don't cost much.  I'd rather not throw money at a problem that isn't costing me a lot anyway, that is all. I appreciate yours and everyone else's suggestions!

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:58 pm

biffzinker wrote:
What options are available for blocking out finer dust particles besides lint/clothing fibers? If Acidicheartburn doesn't mind me asking in his thread.

I don't mind at all.  I'm looking for any kind of DIY options or ideas people might have.  Call it brainstorming, :P

I may just have to make a trip to the hardware store and look at various materials.  I know some companies make different kinds of mesh or even foam-type products that are meant for computers to keep out dust.  I even found one that's got an adhesive backing, but as I said in my previous post (sorry for double posting) I don't want to throw a lot of money at a problem that isn't really costing me much anyhow, and buying something online leaves little room for trial and error.  If I don't like the results I'm out of luck.

Frugal
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 pm

How hot does your PC run?

If you use reasonable low power components you can seal up a lot of the holes in a case and route all of the air through one fan, use thermal convection to enhance airflow and elevate the case so it's not sucking dirty air from ground level.

I can think of a way to use pantyhose to make a long conical filter that would not impede flow too much but it would be bulky.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:28 pm

If "cheap" is your overriding concern, it's pretty hard to beat the time- and geek-tested pantyhose option...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If "cheap" is your overriding concern, it's pretty hard to beat the time- and geek-tested pantyhose option...

Just wait for the wife/GF/BFF/POSSLQ to ruin a pair and it's free.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:34 am

Heh, nobody I know wears 'em. Definitely not my girlfriend. She's a jeans kinda girl. I am also concerned with how easy it is to clean the dust out of the pantyhose. If I am going to have to cut pieces to fit, I'd like something thats going to clean well and be reusable. For those of you that have used them as dust filters, just how reusable and cleanable are they? A quick vacuum is the kinda maintenance I am looking for.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:42 am

You can cut pantyhose to size and stretch over fans like a sock. Stretch them tight and they won't touch the blades or hub, and you can just hit them with the vacuum brush attachment or compressed air.

You can also remove the 500R side panel mesh, stretch the pantyhose over it to cut and fit, take it off and fabric dye it black (if your partner doesn't wear black ones) so it blends.

I used pantyhose over my external 1080 radiator and fans for months and maintenance was very simple - great for cat hairs, too.

In the end though, it all comes down to how long you're looking at keeping your case. the fifty bucks for the DEMCi kit eliminates dicking around at hardware stores, cutting, re-cutting, re-re-cutting (it tears easily), dying, trying flywire, giving up and spending the fifty bucks anyway, not to mention fuel and effort.

If your cases are long-term and dust ingress is a big concern at your place, they are worth the price of entry. I'm not affiliated in any way, other than I buy them for everything because I do have dust/hair issues at home.
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:31 am

Acidicheartburn wrote:
biffzinker wrote:

I don't mind at all.  I'm looking for any kind of DIY options or ideas people might have.  Call it brainstorming, :P

I may just have to make a trip to the hardware store and look at various materials.  I know some companies make different kinds of mesh or even foam-type products that are meant for computers to keep out dust.  I even found one that's got an adhesive backing, but as I said in my previous post (sorry for double posting) I don't want to throw a lot of money at a problem that isn't really costing me much anyhow, and buying something online leaves little room for trial and error.  If I don't like the results I'm out of luck.

Hardware store is likely to have general purpose material that can be used as a filter.
I recommend trying a dedicated vacuum cleaner store-they should have a range of filter material (specifically designed to filter) from cheap and nasty all the way up to HEPA.
Even supermarkets are likely to have a small range--Aftermarket car parts is another option as well as replacement Air Conditioning filters.
Remember it's all about compromise-The better the filter the more powerful fan you'll need to get air thru.
EDIT-Add-http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/how-to-keep-dust-out-of-your-pc-663270

To answer Biff's question-The best you can probably get is HEPA. But as Chrispy mentioned you'll need a lot of fan pressure.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:51 am

Yeah, I'm definitely not looking for HEPA-tier filtration.  Just something that will moderately cut down on the amount of dust in my case.  It already has a lot of air movement inside and component temperatures has never been a problem.  My case has 3 120mm fans and 1 200mm fan all as intakes.  There's a 120mm fan blowing out the back and a 120mm fan for my H60i radiator on top.  The top of the case has room for a 240mm radiator so there's plenty of room for air to escape.  None of these are high-pressure fans, however, so I don't need to be doing anything that will restrict the airflow a lot.  I guess I'll have to look into the pantyhose option.  My biggest concern is the front fans behind the HDD bays which are all occupied (I can't toss perfectly good old HDDs  :P ) - they aren't the easiest to access for cleaning.  Secondary is the huge mesh sidepanel which will require extensive cutting to fit regardless.

dman888
Gerbil In Training

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:08 am

I've been a lurker here for many years but when I saw this thread I just had to share what I've been doing for the past 4 years:

Cheapest Option: Duck Brand AC Filter
(i'm not allowed to post links but search on amazon)
Its basically very porous foam. Works wonders! Cut to size and pair it with painter's tape. After about 6 months, I throw it away and stick some new on on.

PC-also-an-allergen-filter option: 3M Filtrete AC Filter
(again, search on amazon)
These 3M filters are great. There is a static cling to the material so it just attracts dust like crazy!

PC-also-as-a-air-purifier option: Carbon/Charcoal pad for air conditioner filter  (Amazon)
Stack the carbon/charcoal pad with the 3M Filtrete and the Duck brand filter, you got yourself an dust/allergen/odor filtration system that can also check your email. ;)

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:29 am

dman888 wrote:
Cheapest Option: Duck Brand AC Filter

I had a Cooler Master Centurion 5 that used that type of fan filter material.  Worked well.  In this application, it'd just be a matter of whether there's room for the 1/4" thickness of the material.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:55 am

Buy yourself a very nice pair of Earphones, Seal off all air intakes except for one singular 60mm hole. Then feed all ingoing air with a shopvac. Presto, high pressure filtered air for 2 years  before needing to replace a filter. For overclocking, fill base of shopvac with dry ice.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:15 am

All jokes aside, I wonder how many people have actually tried using a custom air intake feed as apposed to pulling in ambient air from the room. You wouldn't want to necessarily feed air direct from the house's ventilation system, since winter months could mean you are feeding the PC hot air, plus all the dust that is sitting inside your vents; however, I could see (as impracticable as it may be) the possibility for having a private pipe directly fed from the AC unit that feeds via hose into a sealed off case. In the summer it would mean having its own private clean filtered cold air to breath and have all the warm exhaust pulled right back out, while in the winter it could breath cold outside air separate from the heated air coming from the furnace and then pipe its warm exhaust back into the house for a bit of extra heating. As an added bonus, the pushing and pulling of air would all be done in a separate part of the house so your computer could operate virtually silent.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral