Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Rack/Case Mod

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Just wanted to share a little project I did a few months ago.  I had a wall mounted network rack that I picked up on eBay for cheap that was sitting around.  I thought it would be more useful as a mobile workstation instead.  I strengthened it to hold up to the racking forces of moving it around, added a dual monitor arm, added a top surface, added a bottom plate with wheels and support, and of course the completely custom shelves.

I designed and fabricated everything from scratch other than the drawer rails, wheels, the outside rack structure, powder coating, and the arm mount, although most of these things needed modification.  All the aluminum was picked up from the scrap yard, same goes for the wood.

The "Ghost" shelf is used for drive cloning.  One of the types of work I do requires sector by sector copies from one drive to another without the original systems present.  We use various software packages to do this but we've always internally referred to it as ghosting, since we used to only use Symantec Ghost.  Because of this I couldn't resist the decals, especially because I'm a Nintendo fanboy.  The power supplies are inverted and cool the loose drives sitting on the perforated grate when they are being cloned.  The left machine ties to the left monitor, the right to the right monitor so that I can keep an eye on both.  I just use a USB switch to transfer mouse and keyboard.  The second shelf is headless because I remotely manage its functions.

The green shelf is a Hyper-V server used for testing among other things.  You can kind of see the cable management arms as well in both of the pictures.  These are modified HP G8 management arms, I picked them up on eBay as a large lot for under $10 each.  This way it makes pulling the system in and out hassle free.  Each shelf also has very large rubber bumpers on the underside, the same ones found on amps, so I can pull them out and safely set them on delicate surfaces (like my desk).

The very bottom of the rack holds two 1500VA HP UPS units to protect the cloning procedure.

I didn't build it to enter a competition or anything.  Didn't really care about a central theme or color scheme.  Just did it to have fun and use up lots of spare parts I had laying around.  I did buy the USB switch, some miscellaneous screws/bolts, rubber washers for vibration resistance and cabling, and the expensive but cool anti-vandal switches specifically for this project.

So yeah, lots of other details and learned some new things, but just thought someone might enjoy:

Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Rack/Case Mod

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:42 pm

This is awesome, and the build looks great!  I love DIY stuff, and this is no exception.  Looks very professional.

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Gosh darn it. Now I have to research buying the parts to make something like this because it would be totally awesome and I would LOVE having something like this in the house.

videobits
Gerbil

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Nice looking rack!!! :)

Seriously, do you have a make/model number on that little rack? It looks pretty polished with the door and vents at the top front.
And did the wheels come with it or did you mod those?

seankay
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:28 am

It is so nicely done! Looks brilliant to me *bling* *bling*

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks everyone!  I know TR really isn't big on modding but I'm glad a few people enjoyed the results.

The rack appeared to be a Penn Elcom WM-6618BK (18U 600mm deep) when I bought it about 5 years ago.  It looks 100% identical but wasn't branded in any way even on the instructions.  It also cost me $250 shipped, which the branded racks sell for around $400.  My guess is that the seller sourced it from the same factory or something.  Since it has been so long though it looks like the seller is no longer on eBay.

This is the closest one I could find within the same price range with similar features.

The wheels I added myself.  The rack was built to hold its weight while mounted to a wall, so I had to strengthen it to better handle the wheels and new weight distribution.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:13 pm

That's pretty nifty, and now you've got me thinking also.  I've a UPS, a modem, two routers, an 8 port switch, a HomeRunHDR, and a Synology nas tucked away in a closet here.  That could use some kind of rack or enclosure also. Hmm...   :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:10 pm

Very neat setup, love the mod. +1 for the ghost decals    :D