Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

iWolfz
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Problems with power supply?

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:12 am

Hello everyone. I was hoping you could help me with a problem I been having since a couple of days ago.
So I been playing a lot of Overwatch and suddenly the game would just restart my PC during loading screens, it happened so many times that it got me banned from competitive lol.
Anyway, I started testing my hardware and noticed that the temperatures were OK, downloaded some benchmark utilities for my graphics card (EVGA GeForce GTX 980) and everything was running smooth... until I downloaded FurMark.
The first few tries FurMark would just reset the computer just like the game did. after moving my video card to another slot, I was able to run a couple of preset 1080p full HD tests but it would eventually just restart the PC again. I swapped the video card with my old AMD Radeon 7970HD and the same thing happened, so I started looking at my power supply (EVGA Supernova 750w G). I changed the power supply with my old Corsair X600 and it ran the full HD test with no problem. Then I installed the 750 again and it ran the test with no problem!. I changed the cables thinking that might be the problem. Started playing overwatch again AND IT HAPPENED AGAIN. This time I can run a preset 1080 test once but it will reset the second time (sometimes even at the first try).
I will perform more testing with my 600 power supply, but I want to know what you guys think. Is it my power supply? my video cards? or maybe another part I haven't realized yet?

Thank you for your responses!

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Problems with power supply?

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:36 am

It does sound like the 750w PSU has a problem. 

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Problems with power supply?

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:44 am

This doe sounds like it is the PSU causing your problem. You should replace it.