Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: My latest Case project, as of 10-18-2016

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:24 am

That's pretty great progress.

Your sub was ported, but the original sounding box would have been responsible for most of the volume, I'd imagine. If you build a sounding box over the back of the subwoofer you should find a huge increase in volume and sound quality. It doesn't have to be square, it could be triangular in cross section - and just fill it with the wool that the original was filled with.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
That's pretty great progress.

Your sub was ported, but the original sounding box would have been responsible for most of the volume, I'd imagine. If you build a sounding box over the back of the subwoofer you should find a huge increase in volume and sound quality. It doesn't have to be square, it could be triangular in cross section - and just fill it with the wool that the original was filled with.

That's something I considered (I used to build sound systems for a living) as the internal air volume is 100 cubic inches larger than the original box. I've left myself access to the back panel so that I can play with proper baffling and porting. But that will be down the line.

Thanks. It progressing well and I hope to have a completed project in the next couple of weeks!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Alrighty. The Steering wheel attachment is good! I May need to stiffen the support for it, but it works!

I cut down another set of frames and did not drill out the embedded threads. This allowed me to utilize the crank bolts that formerly went with the screen kit and makes for a sturdy connection that I can remove at any time. Further testing did let me know that the wheel is just a touch too high and after having my roommate test it out, as well, I will have to consider revising the mount. This may be something that I will accomplish once I begin to do all of the welding, as I believe I can make a cleaner, better and stronger mount once I have some of the welding completed.

Tada! Steering wheel!
With shifter.

I'm going to work on the my door connections tonight and then, pretty soon, I'll start gathering the materials to skin and insulate the whole thing!

(edited with additions)

Well, I worked on my door connections!

Right Door Connections for the Rear Speaker and the Fan harness.

I color coded the Left side door connections (with my special "color coding" tool) to match the speaker ends.

The left side door connectors for the speakers (front and rear) plus fan harness.

Then, I dismantled the USB 3.0 hub and attached it to the case.

Pretty soon, I will get some better pictures of the whole thing, in better lighting and outside of my garage, as I just don't have enough room to take any good pictures.

In other news, I have to accelerate my project now, as my roommate and I will be losing our house, soon, due to circumstances beyond our control. So, not only do I need to finish this project, but I have to work on cleaning out all of my tools and stuff, pack up, and then figure out where I'm going to put everything! It's gonna be a whole lotta fun here, soon! Yay!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:33 am

Short update for 4-4-2017

Because of some snafus at work and putting in more than 120 hours in at work, for the last two weeks, I have not had much time to work on anything. I'm hoping to focus a bit more of my time toward this in the coming days. So this will just a quick showing of what I will be using to skin the frame.

All panels will be velcroed onto the frame to make for easy removal.

I promise to have some bigger updates very soon. Since I will have to... because the deadline is looming... for both my project AND having to move to another home.

Thanks!

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:02 pm

The lacking stiffness of your steering wheel frame is due to it being a cantilever. Simply adding a 45 degree diagonal strut from the frame right behind the shifter that goes up to the vertical post of the main frame would help things out a lot (looks like angling down is a no go due to leg clearance).

In my experience, ergonomics are the most difficult design aspect. Think of how many adjustable points there are in your car seat and steering wheel. It could be a good thing to allow the steering wheel frame to be adjusted vertically since your seat is fixed. Perhaps simply by adding holes at 1" increments along the vertical posts of the frame. Granted, that would require a fair amount of fiddling for adjustment due to bolts and nuts and such, but at least it's something.
One other idea that I can think of (as I'm typing this on my Varidesk) is to use pins instead of bolts. Pins allow much quicker changing of position. Think of each vertical post having holes pointing toward your center speaker, then gusset plates on the steering wheel frame that use snapper pins. In that orientation, it wouldn't matter to have a tight bolted connection since the gusset plates will keep the frame from moving horizontally. You'd probably want 2 pins on each side of the steering wheel tray, but that would get you the added stiffness of a diagonal strut as described in my first paragraph.

Was going to comment on your sub. But it looks like Chrispy beat me to it. I don't have much experience in building speaker enclosures, but I did have a custom built car sub back in high school that someone in the know built for me. The port didn't come in time for the installation in the car, so I had to drive around for a week with no port. When we did install the port, the difference was incredible.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:54 pm

DPete27 wrote:
The lacking stiffness of your steering wheel frame is due to it being a cantilever. Simply adding a 45 degree diagonal strut from the frame right behind the shifter that goes up to the vertical post of the main frame would help things out a lot (looks like angling down is a no go due to leg clearance).

In my experience, ergonomics are the most difficult design aspect. Think of how many adjustable points there are in your car seat and steering wheel. It could be a good thing to allow the steering wheel frame to be adjusted vertically since your seat is fixed. Perhaps simply by adding holes at 1" increments along the vertical posts of the frame. Granted, that would require a fair amount of fiddling for adjustment due to bolts and nuts and such, but at least it's something.
One other idea that I can think of (as I'm typing this on my Varidesk) is to use pins instead of bolts. Pins allow much quicker changing of position. Think of each vertical post having holes pointing toward your center speaker, then gusset plates on the steering wheel frame that use snapper pins. In that orientation, it wouldn't matter to have a tight bolted connection since the gusset plates will keep the frame from moving horizontally. You'd probably want 2 pins on each side of the steering wheel tray, but that would get you the added stiffness of a diagonal strut as described in my first paragraph.

Was going to comment on your sub. But it looks like Chrispy beat me to it. I don't have much experience in building speaker enclosures, but I did have a custom built car sub back in high school that someone in the know built for me. The port didn't come in time for the installation in the car, so I had to drive around for a week with no port. When we did install the port, the difference was incredible.

Thank you. Yeah, ergonomics is proving to be the biggest pain in this venture. Thanks for the idea on adding an arm to mount at an angle, as oddly enough, I've been thinking about that and how to integrate it. The other issue with that is how to mount the accompanying shifter for the steering wheel, as I don't want it to be on the same plane as the wheel. This whole portion will probably, be closer to the last thing I finish, unfortunately. I want it to be ideal, but to finish this for the case modding competition, I may need to use it as is, meet the deadline, and then reconfigure. I would like to come up with something that bolts on in as little as 30 seconds, while having the ability to bolt to multiple points as an adjustment, ideally.

I actually have a LOT of experience with speaker and subwoofer design. This subwoofer was put together a bit hastily, but there so little information on the subwoofer that Logitech uses, I don't know and can't verify proper air space and porting. I can only base it on the box that I removed it from. However, I have found that the current setup is still, plenty loud for a cheap subwoofer and that once the whole system is properly enclosed that will increase the volume of the subwoofer, too. I did leave myself access to the subwoofer, so I will be able to adjust the air space size and porting when necessary. This is also, something that I will tackle upon completion of the rest of the case, due to time... and well, due to needing to listen to it in its completed form. But, thank you again, nonetheless.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:39 am

Is there room to mount the shifter on the door frame? Just in front of your cup holder possibly. It seems that would be the most "natural" location for it.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:19 am

DPete27 wrote:
Is there room to mount the shifter on the door frame? Just in front of your cup holder possibly. It seems that would be the most "natural" location for it.

There is room, but I think it would be too flimsy. I'd have to put in extra bracing on the door. I still want it to attach to the main frame (at the strong upright), which will give me the most strength and allow me to make it more easily adjustable. To do this, I'm going to try and fabricate a full attachment rig that will allow for the steering wheel and the shifter to be placed ambidextrously onto the main frame, with a couple of height options for mounting (much like you had suggested). It will just be interesting to see how well I can do this while maintaining the ability to easily get in and out of the seat without bruising some knees...

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:23 am

Man, I'd like to think I'm pretty good with \m/ metal \m/, but you're actually good with metal.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am

krazyredboy wrote:
It will just be interesting to see how well I can do this while maintaining the ability to easily get in and out of the seat without bruising some knees...

Indeed, it already looks like the current incarnation is plenty difficult to get in and out of. I think having proper adjust-ability would nearly eliminate this problem. Reminds me of my dad who always raises the steering wheel up to it's highest position before exiting any car he drives.

Also, it might be nice to compile a "things I've learned / would do differently next time" list when this thing is done. Might help the next guy.
Last edited by DPete27 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 am

morphine wrote:
Man, I'd like to think I'm pretty good with \m/ metal \m/, but you're actually good with metal.

Thanks. Maybe... in my next case... I'll work with ROCK!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:45 pm

4-8-2017 Update:

I've managed to sneak in a few hours here and there, outside of my insane work hours as of late. Here is the progress.

I have most of the insulation and outer paneling cut and in place. The insulation will get a thin coat of carpeting, so it's rather reflective at the moment, but will not be so when it is complete.

Other than cutting a few more exterior panels, I just have a bit more cable routing to deal with and then sealing the component tray and getting the fans installed and routed in that area, as well.

Enough talk, here are the pictures!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:08 pm

4-11-2017 Update!

It's getting closer to being finished!

Both doors are completely covered. I just have to work on covering the silver portion of the insulation with thin carpeting.

The back portion of the floor board is finally in. Although, I will still need to make the necessary cuts for Fan Ports.

All but the sides of the front nose paneling have been cut and are in place.

Da Photos:
Cutting the holes for the fans on the doors.

The cutting of the floorboard.

Half of the back paneling and how the current look of the back of the system.

Even with some of the paneling missing, the system does an excellent job of mitigating the sound from bleeding out and getting in. So far, with only 3 fans in operation (I blew out one of the circuits on my fan controller a while ago) the system stays relatively cool on the inside. I spent an hour or two in the system yesterday and played in it around noon, while it was a warm day. There were no apparent issues with overheating.

More to come, very soon!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:24 am

4-12-2017 Update!

Finished up the MOST of the outer paneling. Now, it's just a matter of getting the interior finished up, along with re-working a bit of the wiring and the last of the fans. I still have to put in the final back panel, as well, that will have the last of the exhaust fans.

It's nearly there!

Paneling for the nose section:
I know, that front door panel is a little wavy, but that will get fixed.

The back, so far:

From the side. Yes, I will have to fill in the gap at the top, as well.

And what it's all for! Me, enjoying the system!

I decided to play a little H1Z1 King of the Kill, with a couple of friends. And everything is working great!!!

Thanks for tunin' in!

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 am

I am exited about this project. I followed you for a long time. Good Game man! Cheers!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:14 am

Robotics wrote:
I am exited about this project. I followed you for a long time. Good Game man! Cheers!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Here is the updated picture of the back of the box, as it currently is, plus a couple of "for scale" pictures.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:00 pm

4-23-2017 Update!

Almost done. I've had an insane schedule at work, recently, so progress has been slow. It will be finished my the May 3rd deadline... but, it may not be everything that I wanted it to be.

Of course... I have a ridiculous week ahead of me, this week, having to work out of town for a few days and having a few more, really long days!

Here we go:
The process of the getting the component area enclosed.

Painting the exterior.

Working on the cabling.

Mapping out and cutting the intake portions and floor board.

And how it currently looks. I think, I'm going to go with a two-tone color scheme for this.

And... for a special treat, a good buddy of mine decided to stop by with his son. To say the least... I think he likes it! https://www.facebook.com/no.other.bob/videos/10154576658538526/

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 pm

This is turning out far more cool than I expected...and now I want to build one myself!
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Waco wrote:
This is turning out far more cool than I expected...and now I want to build one myself!

I know, right?

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Holy crap! Over 10k views since October? Thank you, Everybody! Your support has been wonderful!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2017 3:27 pm

5-1-2017 Update!
Down to the wire!

That's right, I only have two more days to complete my project and finalize my submission to the Cooler Master Case Mod World Series.

Here's the latest bevy of photos.

Partially, to hide the ugliness of some of my cuts and partially to help cut out any exterior light sources, I added a flexible door strip to the front of the system.

For the intake fans, beneath the seat.

Finalizing the interior wiring up front.

The Subwoofer is now carpeted.

Building the last bit of floor covering and wire covering.

Painting the remaining panels (except for the back).

What's left?
Well... not much, thankfully.
I don't think I'll have enough time to cover the interior insulation properly, so I may go with how those currently look. Which, given the nature of the lighting of the interior, those shiny doors actually help to increase visibility within the unit.
I will be replacing the casters. I don't like the ones that I have used and I bought some larger, swivel type casters. Hopefully, they will improve the overall mobility of the case.

And now... I'm off to the dentist... so I probably, won't get any more of it completed, tonight.

Thanks!

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm

I think you've done a great job. Personally, I browsed through the CM mod '17 forums and decided to retract my submission for my radio case. Just too many "professional" case modders over there I felt like I didn't stand a chance. No matter what the outcome of the actual competition, it's clear that your project has been a hit at TR, and that's something to be very proud of. I hope you get to enjoy it for many many hours of gameplay.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2017 5:46 pm

DPete27 wrote:
I think you've done a great job. Personally, I browsed through the CM mod '17 forums and decided to retract my submission for my radio case. Just too many "professional" case modders over there I felt like I didn't stand a chance. No matter what the outcome of the actual competition, it's clear that your project has been a hit at TR, and that's something to be very proud of. I hope you get to enjoy it for many many hours of gameplay.

Thank you so much. I've been in awe of quite a few of the other projects, so I can relate. I don't think I really stand a chance against a few of them, but the competition has given me the want and ferver to continue on and complete this project. It's unfortunate you retracted from the competition, as I would have liked to have shared some of the spotlight with a fellow TR member.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2017 10:26 pm

FINISHED!!! !!!

Here is the link to the final video that I my buddy shot for me, this evening, watching me go over the whole system!
https://www.facebook.com/no.other.bob/videos/10154602453368526/

And here are the final pictures!

The computer component intakes:

The bottom of the system, complete with new casters and a bottom view of the intake fans:

The carpeted Subwoofer floor panel:

The Final floor panel, which also hides the wiring:

Aaaaand... The finished product!

I hope you all like it!

I'm finalizing my youtube video tonight, so that I can have it ready for my official, finalized entry into the Cooler Master Case Mod World Championships, of which, will need to be complete by noon, tomorrow. Once that is finished, I will post that link here. It will be 3 hours long, so grab some popcorn if you decide to watch!

Thanks for all of your support, everyone! It's going to be an interesting week, coming up. With the excitement of having this entered into competition and the uh... not so excitement of being homeless, come next Wednesday. I guess we'll all see what happens next, right?

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 02, 2017 10:37 pm

You are my new favorite person on the Internet.

I don't know where I'd put such a thing, but I kind of want one anyway. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 02, 2017 10:47 pm

1968 Mustang in the driveway?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Redocbew wrote:
You are my new favorite person on the Internet.

I don't know where I'd put such a thing, but I kind of want one anyway. :P

Thanks... I'm about to be in the same position!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2017 11:52 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
1968 Mustang in the driveway?

Yes sir, indeed it is!
1968 Mustang, J-code, with a front bench seat. Only 17 ever built. She's my pride and joy, but I may have to sell her soon, given my current housing dilemma.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 1:49 pm

https://youtu.be/btc6_mjtwwo

Here is the final video of my whole work log! I hope you enjoy it... and... I hope you have popcorn or are extremely bored... because it is 3 hours long.

Enjoy!