Personal computing discussed

Moderators: SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Chrispy_
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: My latest Case project, as of 10-18-2016

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:24 am

That's pretty great progress.

Your sub was ported, but the original sounding box would have been responsible for most of the volume, I'd imagine. If you build a sounding box over the back of the subwoofer you should find a huge increase in volume and sound quality. It doesn't have to be square, it could be triangular in cross section - and just fill it with the wool that the original was filled with.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
That's pretty great progress.

Your sub was ported, but the original sounding box would have been responsible for most of the volume, I'd imagine. If you build a sounding box over the back of the subwoofer you should find a huge increase in volume and sound quality. It doesn't have to be square, it could be triangular in cross section - and just fill it with the wool that the original was filled with.

That's something I considered (I used to build sound systems for a living) as the internal air volume is 100 cubic inches larger than the original box. I've left myself access to the back panel so that I can play with proper baffling and porting. But that will be down the line.

Thanks. It progressing well and I hope to have a completed project in the next couple of weeks!

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Alrighty. The Steering wheel attachment is good! I May need to stiffen the support for it, but it works!

I cut down another set of frames and did not drill out the embedded threads. This allowed me to utilize the crank bolts that formerly went with the screen kit and makes for a sturdy connection that I can remove at any time. Further testing did let me know that the wheel is just a touch too high and after having my roommate test it out, as well, I will have to consider revising the mount. This may be something that I will accomplish once I begin to do all of the welding, as I believe I can make a cleaner, better and stronger mount once I have some of the welding completed.

Tada! Steering wheel!
With shifter.

I'm going to work on the my door connections tonight and then, pretty soon, I'll start gathering the materials to skin and insulate the whole thing!

(edited with additions)

Well, I worked on my door connections!

Right Door Connections for the Rear Speaker and the Fan harness.

I color coded the Left side door connections (with my special "color coding" tool) to match the speaker ends.

The left side door connectors for the speakers (front and rear) plus fan harness.

Then, I dismantled the USB 3.0 hub and attached it to the case.

Pretty soon, I will get some better pictures of the whole thing, in better lighting and outside of my garage, as I just don't have enough room to take any good pictures.

In other news, I have to accelerate my project now, as my roommate and I will be losing our house, soon, due to circumstances beyond our control. So, not only do I need to finish this project, but I have to work on cleaning out all of my tools and stuff, pack up, and then figure out where I'm going to put everything! It's gonna be a whole lotta fun here, soon! Yay!