Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

coolflame57
Gerbil
Topic Author

Another Prebuilt pc

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi again,

I decided to look around (again, see this post https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=117951 ), and I think I found something better.

Is the corsair bulldog a good value?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139079&cm_re=sfx_psu-_-11-139-079-_-Product
Last time, people said not to get that PC because it had an outdated CPU socket, but this one comes with a skylake compatible mobo, a sff water cooler, and an sfx PSU in addition to the case.

If you wanted something like this, would you buy it?

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Another Prebuilt pc

Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:38 pm

coolflame57 wrote:
Is the corsair bulldog a good value?

That depends on what scale you're measuring it.

An SFF water cooler to me entirely misses the point. If you want small then buy appropriate hardware, don't try and contort big hardware to fit into a small case or you end up with something like this - which, to me, is over-sized and over-complicated.

We can help advise on the trade-offs between hardware choices and how close a given bit of hardware comes to fulfilling criteria but only you can decide which aspects of hardware are important to you.

What do you want from a computer? Are looks important? Is water cooling attractive for it's own sake? Is size an issue?

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:49 pm

coolflame57 wrote:

If you wanted something like this, would you buy it?

Probably not.

It's a mini-itx case, a sfx power supply, a mini-itx motherboard, and a water cooler.

Taken together the pricing isn't bad.. BUT the water cooler is not only completely unnecessary, it also doesn't perform its most essential quality of lowering noise (..and in fact substantially increases noise vs. that of the stock intel fan that comes with the CPU), nor is cooling going to be that much better than a fan with adequate case ventilation.

Ex. (an note that this includes $105 worth of CPU & Fan):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c3C92R
Last edited by CScottG on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coolflame57
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:07 pm

EndlessWaves wrote:
We can help advise on the trade-offs between hardware choices and how close a given bit of hardware comes to fulfilling criteria but only you can decide which aspects of hardware are important to you.

What do you want from a computer? Are looks important? Is water cooling attractive for it's own sake? Is size an issue?

I made this thread to be about the general public's opinion, not my opinon. I really am not in the market for this thing.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

coolflame57 wrote:
EndlessWaves wrote:

I made this thread to be about the general public's opinion, not my opinon. I really am not in the market for this thing.

Well for MiniITX I rather get the Silverstone ML08 case:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.p ... 07&area=en

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:56 pm

I think the Corsair is rather ugly. If that's the sort of aesthetic you're looking for in a HTPC, I guess you could do worse. Personally I'd probably go with one of Silverstone's offerings instead.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:22 am

coolflame57 wrote:

Ah. Well my opinion on OEM and prebuilt rigs s is pretty low for a different reason. GPUs sold to OEM builders will only have a single year warranty on them typically. 

So I'm a impressed Corsair is offering a 5 year warranty on that thing...