Moderators: SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Darthutos
Gerbil
Topic Author

how to put on/remove standoffs on Corsair 400r

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi all,

I have a Corsair 400r and I'm stuck.

My motherboard is asrock z97 extreme6. It's an ATX board with 10 holes. I'm now starting to put it together and I see 9 standoff positions already preinstalled. That's great! right? not so much. There is another standoff hole with no standoff, and I all I have to do is put another one because the mobo have an additional 10th standoff. There is no standoff helper/ (I had silverstone,fractal,coolermaster cases, and they all had magnetic/metal helpers), and I cannot put the tenth standoff in with hand. With hand the standoff goes in halfway and hand cannot screw in any longer.

what the H*LL Corsair? I already had trouble with putting 140mm fans, and now this?!

TL;DR Who designed 400r?

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: how to put on/remove standoffs on Corsair 400r

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 pm

You can make your own tool easy enough with a tiny washer and a spare screw, but if the standoff won't go in all the way by hand maybe the threads are bad and need to be cleaned out or re-tapped.

If all else fails, just leave it out. With nine other points of contact having one missing isn't a big deal. If it's not in a spot that'll flex too much while mucking around with cables and stuff I wouldn't worry about it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:25 am

I just use pliers. Need to be careful not to strip the threads by cranking it down too tight though.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:47 am

I just use pliers from my crappy repair toolkits if they won't go in or won't come out.

My 100R had some goofy **** with the standoffs as well. One of the positions wasn't even there?

One of them was...I don't even know, I've never even seen one you can't put a screw in before.

Seriously, my first time with Corsair kit but my last time with their cases. It's good enough, but bizarro.
And now I'm no longer primarily a PC gamer. *shrug*

Darthutos
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:41 am

Thank you all for the great answers.

How do you use a spare screw and washers to help make the standoff go in? Is there any instructions or youtube video? I couldn't find it myself via google.

I ended up with the smalllest square bit that fit in the standoff circle (talk about fitting a square into a circle, eh?) and turn. I ended up using the standoff and the screw went in no problem later. I just hope I didn't damage the screw line in the standoff too much or it would be a b.... to take the standoff screw later. (change the mobo for example).

for the pliers, that was a great suggestion, I didn't think of it at the time.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:54 am

Darthutos wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Corsair 400r and I'm stuck.

My motherboard is asrock z97 extreme6. It's an ATX board with 10 holes. I'm now starting to put it together and I see 9 standoff positions already preinstalled. That's great! right? not so much. There is another standoff hole with no standoff, and I all I have to do is put another one because the mobo have an additional 10th standoff. There is no standoff helper/ (I had silverstone,fractal,coolermaster cases, and they all had magnetic/metal helpers), and I cannot put the tenth standoff in with hand. With hand the standoff goes in halfway and hand cannot screw in any longer.

what the H*LL Corsair? I already had trouble with putting 140mm fans, and now this?!

TL;DR Who designed 400r?

All MB standoffs Iv'e used accept a standard 3/16"socket-4.5 or 5mm might work as well....................
you can usually pick up small kits from a red dot store for a few bucks.

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:31 am

5mm hex socket screwdriver such as http://www.gearbest.com/other-tools/pp_ ... tml?wid=21

I will warn you not all computers use 5mm hex nut standoffs (4-6 is the range I've seen) but 5mm seems to have become the default for enthusiast cases.Second caveat is that you can very easily over-torque them and strip out the threads if you've not done it before, so don't overtighten. :wink:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:35 am

Kougar wrote:
5mm hex socket screwdriver such as http://www.gearbest.com/other-tools/pp_ ... tml?wid=21

I will warn you not all computers use 5mm hex nut standoffs (4-6 is the range I've seen) but 5mm seems to have become the default for enthusiast cases.Second caveat is that you can very easily over-torque them and strip out the threads if you've not done it before, so don't overtighten. :wink:

Yeah, I've stripped case screws/standoffs a couple of times. The flip side is, if you don't tighten them enough sometimes when you go to unscrew the motherboard from the standoff, the standoff comes out instead. :-?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.