Personal computing discussed

Moderators: SpotTheCat, Nemesis

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: What cases and PSUs are you guys using?

Fri May 19, 2017 2:31 pm

EndlessWaves wrote:
I have read comments that the ribbon cables are very stiff compared to other SFX PSUs and not ideal for small cases.

I haven't decided on a PSU yet. Ideally I'd want something cheap that has 80%+ efficiency at circa 30W but unfortunately 150-200W PSUs aren't very common so I may just get whatever's been professionally tested and is on offer.

It's true about cable stiffness. I had forgotten about that one.

It's pretty efficient at low load. It looks like the SF450 and SF600 are about the same at that.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Lian-Li PC-A76WX Windowed case

Replaced my venerable Lian-Li PC-70 I got back in the late 90's, was one of the few cases at the time I could fine with a lot of room for hard drives, and more than 1 5.25 drives as I still use my CD drives for games and other stuff.

EVGA P2-1200

Placed my previous 750W PC-power and cooling that was nearly 8 years old, wanted something extremely good that would last for many years to come. Manly went with this one, as johnny guru gave it an awesome rating and I wanted something big that would last just like my old psu.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 19, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm using a 600T and hx650. Some days I wish I'd kept using my K62 for my main PC. It was much sturdier and simpler. I think I paid between around $60 for the PSU and $90 for the 600T.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 19, 2017 4:36 pm

NZXT H440 Black Edition + BeQuiet Straight Power E9 680W (workstation)
Internally-modded Silverstone Grandia GD04 + BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P10 550W (gaming HTPC)

I'd have paid normal retail price for them all, no idea what that was but they were picked for silence/cooling/form-factor reasons rather than cost reasons.
Good PSUs are a must but I'm more fickle about cases since they're a relatively cheap item compared to the cost of things we put in them; The Silverstone Grandia has survived several builds despite its flaws because after my modding there's simply nothing that shape and size with the cooling I need for silent gaming at full load.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Antec Gaming Series One and a Corsair CX400. Very low budget, but I have no complaints.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Three systems:

Fractal Define R5 + EVGA Supernova G2 550W

Corsair 380T + Seasonic S12II 520W

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M + EVGA Supernova G2 650W

These are three of the largest cases you can get in their respective "classes". The Phanteks and the Fractal both push the bounds of a "midtower" and the Corsair is the very antithesis of "mini ITX"
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

Waco
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Cooler Master Cosmos II
Seasonic X-850
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.5 | 16 GB | GTX Titan X | Seasonix Gold 850 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | Cosmos II | Samsung 4K 40" | 480 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSDs

whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2017 6:27 pm

OK I have some rants about cases now. My Corsair 300R has the 3.5" drive cage rotated 90 degrees and uses trays that can also handle 2.5" drives so it is far less awkward to install new a HDD/SSD. This should be a standard feature of cases, so why isn't it?

Glass windows on cases, why would anyone want something that very easy to break on their hardware? It seems that way too many otherwise real nice cases have this "feature"

Water cooling. Not everyone is going to use water cooling to overclock if they even overclock at all. Why don't the manufacturers offer the same model without the vents on top of the case?

Darthutos
Gerbil

Fri May 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Corsair 400R

Corsair AX860 80 plus Platinum

MEATLOAF2
Gerbil

Fri May 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm using a Cooler Master HAF 912 Case, big and bulky just like I want.

EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum PSU. I'm happy with both.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 19, 2017 7:24 pm

whm1974 wrote:
OK I have some rants about cases now. My Corsair 300R has the 3.5" drive cage rotated 90 degrees and uses trays that can also handle 2.5" drives so it is far less awkward to install new a HDD/SSD. This should be a standard feature of cases, so why isn't it?

Glass windows on cases, why would anyone want something that very easy to break on their hardware? It seems that way too many otherwise real nice cases have this "feature"

Water cooling. Not everyone is going to use water cooling to overclock if they even overclock at all. Why don't the manufacturers offer the same model without the vents on top of the case?

Yeah I agree with the whole glass case thing being pretty silly, pay tons of money for a case that not only is fragile, but will show every spec of dust in your system. Plus I am very tired of every case now has deleted 5.25 bays, what do they use then for...not much unless you plan to put 5 radiators inside your case. I just do not get the point, you give up flexability for not getting anything in return. They made cases for years before that with doors to hide the front bays, so no reason they couldn't keep doing that. These new computer fads seem just to be with taking away freedom, and making cases easier to make for the manufacturers.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 19, 2017 7:35 pm

I have a Lian Li PC-V354B and a SeaSonic Prime Titanium PSU. Finding a good mATX X99 board wasn't easy but it amuses me that one of the most powerful consumer PCs in town lives in a nondescript aluminum box.

christos_thski
Gerbil

Fri May 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Primary PC : a Thermaltake GTS-10 (which is the last case I'll buy from them, as I'm unhappy with their customer support) and a Corsair CS750M PSU (which is certainly not the last PSU I'll buy from them ; great tech support when I needed it).

Secondary PC : a small Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 tower and a Corsair CX500 PSU.

christos_thski
Gerbil

Fri May 19, 2017 7:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Three systems:

Fractal Define R5 + EVGA Supernova G2 550W

Corsair 380T + Seasonic S12II 520W

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M + EVGA Supernova G2 650W

These are three of the largest cases you can get in their respective "classes". The Phanteks and the Fractal both push the bounds of a "midtower" and the Corsair is the very antithesis of "mini ITX"

But the handle on the Corsair makes it more luggable than a lot of even smaller ITX cases. I love that design.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 19, 2017 9:05 pm

christos_thski wrote:
But the handle on the Corsair makes it more luggable than a lot of even smaller ITX cases. I love that design.

Yes, it does. That's part of why I bought it.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 19, 2017 11:26 pm

I've got 3 of these, with one that's still under modification and two as-yet unused: (all are silver)

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v353/

-all 3 are gutted, the internal design for the m-board configuration is gone. The one I'm working on has an atx server m-board w/in it (..when the original design was for a micro atx board).

That server is powered by a Seasonic SS-460FL, a "gold" fanless design. It's extremely reliable with no audible coil-whine and no fan noise.

The design I did for my father last year has a fairly new "platinum" power supply from Corsair and uses a wall-hanger Coolermaster Core P3; I chose that case particularly so that it would be up on a wall and easy for me to get to when required (..because crawling under a dusty desk just SUCKS!), and also easy for my father to see if it needed cleaning (..with a can of compressed air at the "ready"). His case configuration doesn't look like most of the P3 builds I've seen, it's far more "understated" with a traditional PCI-E card mount on the m-board with everything in black except the 3 graphite-aluminum Plextor SSD's arrayed in the 3 "vents" (that the case usually has for water cooling) - all with virtually no visible wires and only the fan of the CPU visible. I can portal-into his VM Server to make sure his VM's are up, and have backups. (..I've set it up with a Windows 10 VM for his trading platform and a Linux distro (Elementary OS) VM for his web-surfing/email/documents with simultaneous access on 2 different monitors with Synergy for a single mouse/keyboard between the different systems.)

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 20, 2017 8:17 am

whm1974 wrote:

All valid rants. The case market is pretty lame really - probably the side effect of them being low-profit, bulky, low-tech goods with minimal turnover. People will replace and upgrade the hundreds of dollars of components that go into a case but not think twice about their $50 commodity metal box.

I would like to see more modular cases on the market so that people can custom assemble a case of the size and shape they want with the features they want. Coolermaster have just about done that but their limited modularity feels more like a marketing gimmick than a practical modular system still. Again, the market is probably to small in both unit numbers and profit to be worth investing in, that's why so many case manufacturers also do other things (Fractal, Silverstone, Coolermaster, Antec, etc).
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
All valid rants. The case market is pretty lame really - probably the side effect of them being low-profit, bulky, low-tech goods with minimal turnover. People will replace and upgrade the hundreds of dollars of components that go into a case but not think twice about their $50 commodity metal box.

I've had the P182 for roughly 10 years now and it's housing its second build. I fully expect it to get to the fourth build before I retire it. Just remember that for me, builds are 7-year periods.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 10:19 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

I've had the P182 for roughly 10 years now and it's housing its second build. I fully expect it to get to the fourth build before I retire it. Just remember that for me, builds are 7-year periods.

The very first case I used for my first computer build I've used for 13 years before replacement. It was a large no name cheap-ass tower I brought along with the other parts from TCWO.com back in 2000.

Now I'm of two minds now when selecting cases. One is get a really good case and keep forever and the other is just get decent one and either sell the system or keep and reuse it for something else when building a new computer.

End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 20, 2017 11:46 am

From my 2012 build to my 2017 build I have stopped using 5.25", 3.5", and 2.5" drives. Case size has dropped by a third while fan size has increased to 140mm from 120mm.
Last edited by End User on Mon May 22, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
3770K / P8Z77-V PREMIUM / 16 GB / GTX 1080 / XB271HU / U2713H / M500 960 GB / MX200 500 GB / G900 / G810 / Sennheiser PC 373D
1800X /AX370-Gaming 5 / 32 GB / RX 480 / 38UC99-W / 960 PRO M.2 1TB / MX Master / Surface Keyboard / Sennheiser PC 373D

whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 12:40 pm

End User wrote:
From my 2012 build to my 2107 build I have stopped using 5.25", 3.5", and 2.5" drives. Case size has dropped by a third while fan size has increased to 140mm from 120mm.

So what are you using for storage then? As far as I know M.2 gumsticks didn't come out until 2014.

lurkusmaximus
Gerbil In Training

Sat May 20, 2017 1:00 pm

RickyTick wrote:
Current case is a Corsair 450D which I like much more than the previous 650D. It's super quiet and it was easy to build in.

I agree with you 100%. I found the Corsair cases easy to build in and my 450D still serves me well.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 20, 2017 1:10 pm

End User wrote:
From my 2012 build to my 2107 build I have stopped using 5.25", 3.5", and 2.5" drives. Case size has dropped by a third while fan size has increased to 140mm from 120mm.

This reminds me of around 10 years ago when the trend for cell phones was to make them as small as possible. They got to the point where the mic was around the top end of your cheek and didn't work very well. Fortunately that trend died when people realized that using them sucked along with smartphones coming on to the scene. Now it seems everyone is copying apple with all their proprietary systems, just like how computers were back in the 90's. Along with making them as small as possible and removing almost all expandability options. Just like in the 90's when they made systems as slim as possible using crappy riser cards and proprietary parts not easily replaceable. That's what got me building computers back in the 90's, so I could avoid all this mess and make my computer upgradable and able to do what I wanted it to be able to do.

whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
End User wrote:

This reminds me of around 10 years ago when the trend for cell phones was to make them as small as possible. They got to the point where the mic was around the top end of your cheek and didn't work very well. Fortunately that trend died when people realized that using them sucked along with smartphones coming on to the scene. Now it seems everyone is copying apple with all their proprietary systems, just like how computers were back in the 90's. Along with making them as small as possible and removing almost all expandability options. Just like in the 90's when they made systems as slim as possible using crappy riser cards and proprietary parts not easily replaceable. That's what got me building computers back in the 90's, so I could avoid all this mess and make my computer upgradable and able to do what I wanted it to be able to do.

Yeah I had one of those systems back in '94 until late '95. It was a IBM PS/1 Executive with with both 3.5" and 5.25" FDD and 120 MB HDD and with 4MB of memory. And yes it did use a riser card, but the only card I had in it was a MediaTek "Thunderboard" I brought from Walmart. While it was no speed demon, it was still miles ahead of the 286 it replaced.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

..I've got a P193 that I've been waiting to re-purpose into a Media Server.. but DirecTV (after haggling) seems to drop their pricing enough to where it just isn't worth it (..at only a few bucks more than a Cable Card from the local Cable provider).

-depending on what the system is used for, I also tend to build for many years. Hell, I waited 5 years on a build *after* it was time to upgrade - just because I didn't see the improvements I was looking for.

David
Silver subscriber

Sat May 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Antec Sonata III
Thermaltake Toughpower 750. Semi-Modular.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 pm

whm1974 wrote:

To answer the OP question... NZXT S340 black/red with window (and of course color coordinated motherboard, SSDs, GPU, AIO watercooler, etc) and a Seasonic G Series 550W PSU in my gaming rig. I have a small fleet of Fractal Design Node 304 and Silverstone SG13 mITX systems with Corsair CX430M PSUs that I use for server/lab purposes. To your questions though...

Most cases do, do that if they're built to have drive cages like your 300R. Personally I've got no use for such an arrangement in my gaming rig. That's all SSDs inside and I prefer a case that presents like the S340 and some of the Phanteks (more cases are doing this now too). So I'd rather have say a Fractal Define C with a fully open front vs an R5 with a bunch of drive cages. Better cooling, better look, still plenty of storage options, etc. Given what's "Best Selling" on Newegg I'd say the market feels similar to me.

I've never seen the windows on my cases as a point of worry. Even when I was younger and regularly toting PCs to LAN parties and friends houses it just seems like a thing where a bit of care goes a long way. Maybe if I had a young kid running around I'd be concerned but otherwise nah. And since tempered glass is becoming the go to for case manufacturers there's even less need to worry about scratches. You'd have to do something real stupid to break a pane.

It's probably unrealistic for them to have separate lines for top vents or not. That said I think if a case comes with top fan mounts it should have covers. The Phanteks P400 gets it perfect IMO. You can fully cover the opening, cover only half, and also they include a well design mesh filter. Weirdly Fractal Design gets it right on some cases and wrong on others. The Define R5 can do partial covering whereas the Define C (which was released AFTER the R5) is all or nothing... really silly decision by them.

Dysthymia
Gerbil

Sat May 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Pretty much exclusively Seasonic PSUs but I'd consider others like Super Flower.

Main rig: Fractal Design Define R4, windowed
Wife's rig: Was a Bitfenix Prodigy, now a Corsair Carbide 200R
Server: Fractal Design Node 304

Voldenuit

Sat May 20, 2017 4:26 pm

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Forgot to mention, I've been using Corsair CX series PSUs for a few years now, with satisfactory results. Good bang for the buck. And reliable.

Same here. I use Seasonic for myself, and Corsair CX for everyone else.

My Corsair CX-500 ran like a champ with not a single hitch, but I ended up ditching it in favor of the seasonic X-650 (admittedly, it's in a completely different league in terms of design, build, and price) because the dang thing was just too loud when gaming. The Seasonic meanwhile doesn't even bother to ramp up its fan in most gaming sessions, and when it does, is inaudible over the rest of my components.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat May 20, 2017 5:39 pm

whm1974 wrote:

I suspect it is partly historical. Before larger case fans and tower coolers became common cases tended to be a little narrower, which meant mounting the drives sideways would've been problematic. It also means you need right-angle cables for data and power, which were less common back in the day. You get less airflow across the drives too, since the sides of the drive cage are perpendicular to the airflow. So it's not necessarily a win-win, though I agree it makes swapping drives easier.

whm1974 wrote:

Aren't most of them actually plexiglass (so less breakable, but easier to scratch)? I'm not a fan either. It only makes sense if you want the innards of your PC to be visible, and I'm generally not neat enough with routing cables and tying everything off to want to look at the insides of the PC. I suppose it's useful from a standpoint of making it more obvious when it is time to vacuum the dust bunnies out. :lol:

I also wonder if systems built in many of these windowed cases would pass FCC EMI shielding tests?

IIRC WD actually had a windowed hard drive for a while, about a decade ago.

whm1974 wrote:

Locations for additional exhaust fans are potentially useful even if you don't watercool. Just don't set your drink up there where it can potentially get dumped into the vents. Perhaps they could provide some panels you can install if you don't intend to install top fans? This would potentially improve airflow a bit when there aren't fans there.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.