Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Server Racks

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 pm

I just bought a few servers off of eBay to start the next phase of my training lab at home. I'm looking for around an 18U rack preferably with locking wheels and I was just curious what a good place might be to get one on the inexpensive side?
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Server Racks

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:56 pm

I'd check eBay.

Or if you know anyone who works in IT see if they have one they're getting rid of.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:13 pm

Craigslist too. It's better if you are in or near a larger area. I live in a small town and even I was able to come across some good four post enclosed racks for ~$100 when I was in the market. Took a few months though...

Ebay has some cheap ones but many of the roll-arounds aren't deep enough.

I'd actually build it myself if I couldn't find one, especially given it's a test setup. It won't be enclosed but a super cheap open 4 post rack and some wheels from harbor freight will look fine with a little attention to detail.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:31 am

Ebay had a good selection last I looked, but shipping can be a killer. Craigslist is where I've gotten my last couple, but then I live in a major metro area with a fair amount of tech. One key point, if you get a proper rolling rack mount cabinet, the thing is going to be heavy. Like two people can barely lift with all the skins on heavy. Just something to be aware of if you go pick up, or have it shipped.

--SS

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 am

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:28 am

+1 for LACK rack, that takes me back a couple of decades, lol.

When I move location I generally leave the old racks behind and fit new racks, but that's probably because the limiting factor is the height of service elevators in the buildings I move into/out of. With an 18U that's probably not an issue.

Racks are dirt cheap compared to server hardware, so I'd contact office renovation and leasing companies in your city and ask if they have anything they've cleared up from old tenants. Otherwise, just buy one new - you're going to be paying probably $250-500 including shipping and you get what you want, rather than taking what's available.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 am

Wow, I'm liking that Lack Rack. That would be perfect for my use case.
I found this, too. https://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/05/ras ... mount.html

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:15 am

Just remember that the ikea LACK rack is screwing into particleboard only. It'll take short-depth, reasonably lightweight items like switches, but for longer switches and definitely for servers you're going to require both tables so that you have four points of contact. Anything heavy that's front-mount only will just shred the front legs.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 am

Check to see if there are any local resellers. For example this place (http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/) is on my street and they always have racks for sale.