Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: PSU longevity question

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:49 am

Flying Fox wrote:
I hope you did not get that TT at the current Amazon price of 54.99. Today Newegg Shellshocker has the Seasonic 650W (even more amps!) at 59.99 and a 20 dollar rebate.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12iii- ... 6817151228

That's an awesome deal and I would have pulled the trigger but unfortunately, I'm in the UAE and shipping alone is gonna hit me with $41. I'm gonna try my luck with my Huntkey PSU for the time being. If it blows up, I'll get the dirt cheap TT. If that also goes, well then, Hellooooooo Seasonic! :D Though, I will get the Seasonic and bypass the blowing up stuff if out of the blue, I come into possession of immense wealth and riches.

bthylafh wrote:
I'm kind of gobsmacked that people are willing to try to convince Igor of anything after his excursions into pseudoscientific woo and insistence on staying there.

Yes, the people here are too nice. That's why I love these forums.

By the way, no word so far from anyone on how long they have been using a Seasonic PSU without issue.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:20 am

An individual user's anecdotes should be far less convincing than a quality review like the ones at JonnyGURU. However, here you go.

This SeaSonic power supply has been getting daily use since April 2005. This one has been going strong since June 2007, as have five newer SeaSonic PSUs. This PC Power & Cooling model worked from 2008 until I disassembled that system in 2016. Presumably, if I pulled it out of the parts bin, it would still work. This PCP&C unit has been going since 2009. This SFX Silverstone PSU and this one have been running only 4 and 2 years, respectively.

This Antec failed in two to five years, as did this one and this one, though this one lasted for 8 years. This ThermalTake PSU and this one lasted two to three years. This Corsair PSU was delivered DOA.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:19 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
An individual user's anecdotes should be far less convincing than a quality review like the ones at JonnyGURU. However, here you go.

This SeaSonic power supply has been getting daily use since April 2005.
This ThermalTake PSU[/url] and this one lasted two to three years.

14 years. That is pretty impressive.

Found this pretty nice PSU guide: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/po ... 913-3.html

Also some visual warning signs here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/po ... 913-2.html

This guy thinks Seasonic is just 8 out of 10: https://gadgets-reviews.com/review/900- ... plies.html
Though I guess that is to be expected when he's comparing a cheap Seasonic to expensive Corsair and TT units.

Well, ok I'm convinced trouble-free operation is worth the extra cost. I'll try to save up for a Seasonic even though it might cost thrice as much. But if it outlives the TT three times as long then It's a win. For the time being though, I will try stressing the Huntkey and report how that turns out soon.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:45 pm

Some may disagree with me, but a mid-range Corsair CX-550 on promotion (or CX-M depending on which is on promo) is good enough for me. The OEM has changed, but 45A+ on the 12V rail (540W) and 5 year warranty are good enough for me.

Not as extended as JAE, but I have a CX500 bought in 2014 and put into use in the following year for about 3.5 years until system rebuilds relegated it to the bench. I bought another CX550 last year and it has been in use since. No issues to report on both.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:51 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Some may disagree with me, but a mid-range Corsair CX-550 on promotion (or CX-M depending on which is on promo) is good enough for me. The OEM has changed, but 45A+ on the 12V rail (540W) and 5 year warranty are good enough for me.

No disagreement here. Corsair CX series has been my "go to" for a while now. So far, they've managed to not piss me off.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

adamlongwalker
Gerbil

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:00 am

Personally I am not going to pay the standard branding tax tier 1 company if I know I can get comparable results from a non tier 1 company. BUT do your research... ALWAYS...

Yes Seasonics are great PSU's and so are the rest of the Top Tier 1 products of that caliber.

I'm a moderator on a private hardcore gaming/tech sight. Every 2 years I build a computer at the $900.00 range. This is done to pretty much laugh at people who spend that much money (or more) on digital assets on a certain pew pew game that gets heavily critiqued on that site.

What was chosen (after serious research) for that rig was a 850Watt Rosewill Captstone 80+ gold PSU. Japanese Capacitors used on a PSU manufactured in China. Cost was $80.00. Reason why the price low is was it was semi modular in design and I got it on sale during the holidays. It's $130.00 now.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=rosewill+capstone+850+watt

It got good reviews at all of the usual places and I'm satisfied with the purchase. A PSU has got to last me at least 3 or so years as well as carry the proper enough current on power line. If it does then I'm golden.

Any Tier 1 PSU should last you at least 5+ years and it is not uncommon to see 10 year limited warranties for their product.

If you want more of a name brand of a PSU I've had no issues with EVGA's when I have to work on a client's rig. Corsair is fine too. Yea Even though I retired almost 15 years ago (stinking dirty rich as the old phrase goes) at a real young age, I have a loyal customer base (that are now friends) that trusts me on their computers for what they need and not be up selled on things they don't need (can we say Geek Squad or the Genius Bar from Apple?).

Because I give them the best bang for the buck when creating/working on their rigs. The same way I use to report news for this site so many years ago.

On the positive side I'm probably going to die with a smile on my face with all of that home country cooking when I do make those repair calls. They feed me goood.