Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

quieten an noisy case for cheap

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:07 am

Maybe this is old hat but I thought I'd share the way I quietened down my desktop's noisy case. It's mostly a quiet machine but under certain conditions something would resonate and produce a really annoying buzz.

This is nothing earth shattering or clever, I just stuck some insulating tape all around the contact area between the side panels and the case so that the first time I put the panels back on I had to force the little retention hooks/catches on the top/bottom edge of the panel through the tape. The difference it has made is really quite surprising considering it only cost me about 4' of tape so if your case buzzes I'd give it a try.
Last edited by cheesyking on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: quieten an noisy case for cheap

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks.

I think my cheapo case is beyond redemption, with periodic humming as the HDD vibrations converge, but worth a shot.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:06 am

I've also had good results in the past using car sound insulation (amazon stocks it) on the inside of a case. You only need a small patch stuck to each panel for it to work, no need to cover the whole thing. I suspect a thin patch of plywood or MDF would do just as good a job if you had some laying around.
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:36 am

meerkt wrote:
Thanks.

I think my cheapo case is beyond redemption, with periodic humming as the HDD vibrations converge, but worth a shot.

Maybe a strip of tape between the drive and the drive cage would help.

cheesyking wrote:
I've also had good results in the past using car sound insulation (amazon stocks it) on the inside of a case. You only need a small patch stuck to each panel for it to work, no need to cover the whole thing. I suspect a thin patch of plywood or MDF would do just as good a job if you had some laying around.

Ahh, interesting concept. Change the resonance characteristics of the panel. I like it!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:07 am

Flocking tape (felt tape) is your friend.