Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

PC Shuts Off Randomly Then Turns on after a few seconds

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:38 pm

Does this seem like a PSU issue?

I have a SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W that I've had to send in for a warranty repair (Seasonic was great about it) a year ago or so. After the repair, the system has been absolutely stable.

Until a few months ago.

In May, I added a GPU finally. It's a SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600 XT. The recommend PSU is 500w, minimum 450w.

Further, the random restarts mostly happen when the machine is idling at the desktop.

I did observe the restart once or twice. It isn't like pressing the reset button. The system shuts off, stays off for a few seconds, then turns back on. It will then stay on for another random amount of time. My latest uptime is 18h. I've gotten as long as a few days.

I don't have spare parts, and everything is out of warranty.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: PC Shuts Off Randomly Then Turns on after a few seconds

Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 pm

PSU would be my guess.

But could also be a motherboard issue, I suppose?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:17 am

just brew it! wrote:
PSU would be my guess.

I would agree with that.

The best way to know is to get a slightly larger 650w P/S and see if the machine returns to being stable.

Of course making sure your drivers are up to date, reseating the cards and ram, etc. etc. wouldn't hurt either.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:34 am

Aranarth wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
PSU would be my guess.

I would agree with that.

The best way to know is to get a slightly larger 650w P/S and see if the machine returns to being stable...

Of course making sure your drivers are up to date, reseating the cards and ram, etc. etc. wouldn't hurt either.

Dang it! I just submitted my order for another 550w, and now I see this. Fortunately, I was able to cancel that order, and get the 650w instead. It was only $5 more.

For drivers: Running Gentoo Linux, everything open source, I'm always using the latest drivers. The instability did NOT coincide with an updated. I know this for sure.

I failed to mention the system was stable for a while after the card was installed. Played games at 4k and everything. I think I just have a PSU that does just fine until I ask it to start working hard. Or, I may slowly end up with a new computer.

Although....I wonder if my using DisplayPort instead of HDMI might have something to do with it....

I worked from home for a bit, and was given a work laptop. The laptop only had HDMI so I had to get a new DisplayPort cable to connect my PC, and switch the HDMI to the laptop. It might be coincidence here. But, I think that's when it started happening.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:44 am

I try to keep the power supply about 1/2 to 1/3 larger than what should be the peak load of the machine.

You can use PC part picker to give you a general ide what the power use of the machine will be and then add a third to a 1/2 to whatever it comes up with.
So if it says your approx power is 500 watts then you want a 750watt ps.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:23 am

Aranarth wrote:
I try to keep the power supply about 1/2 to 1/3 larger than what should be the peak load of the machine.

You can use PC part picker to give you a general ide what the power use of the machine will be and then add a third to a 1/2 to whatever it comes up with.
So if it says your approx power is 500 watts then you want a 750watt ps.

Well, PC Part Picker was giving me about 270w. Also, that's while under load, which is rare for me. The 550w I had would have been plenty, and now the 650w is probably a touch too much. Oh well.

Things actually started to get worse after I ordered the PSU. Wouldn't even stay on for 5 minutes if I logged into the desktop.

I've got the new PSU in. So far so good, and 24 hours of uptime doing all the things.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:00 pm

congrats on fixing it.

I was expecting a fire breather machine which is why I suggested a bigger P/S.