Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

AristotleX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Gonna need a 2nd 120mm case fan for Sonata...

Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:48 pm

Any recommendations on which fan to go with and configuration of the fans? There are so many out there including Thermaltake, Enermax, Vantec, and Antec (a brand I have a personal affinity to). I want a good fan...not too loud and able to push plenty of air (I know, it's a tradeoff). Here is the system I am building it for:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
ASUS K8V Deluxe
Corsair 1x512 MB Value Select
MSI 9800 Pro 128MB
Western Digital 80GB 8MB buffer
1-2 optical drives
Wireless PCI LAN card
onboard audio (I know, it sucks. But so do my speakers and I can upgrade this in a month or so...btw, any suggestions on a sound card upgrade?)

I play DiabloII more than anything else (no laughing) but I also enjoy shooters (just picked up FarCry).
Here are two that I like so far:
Antec Pro 120mm Double Ball Bearing Case Fan Retail Model 370006
Vantec SF12025L Double Ball Bearing Stealth Case Fan Retail Model 370817

Also, I'm gonna throw a little DynaMat in the case to remove some resonance as well (yes, i know this will result in slightly higher case temps but it appears to be minimal). Any suggestions on how/where to apply it?

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:22 am

the medium speed panaflo fan is what I would argue the best fan on the market, and many people here would agree

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:45 am

One blowing in and one blowing out would be optimal.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:07 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
the medium speed panaflo fan is what I would argue the best fan on the market, and many people here would agree

I agree, nothing better or quieter than panaflos. Much better than the other ones you were looking at.

tomjleeds
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:25 am

Nothing comes close to the SilenX 120mm 14dBA fan. Admittedly, the Panaflo pushes 86.5CFM compared to the SilenX's 58CFM, but it only produces 14dBA of noise, which totally slaughters the Panaflo's 35dBA. As you have a Sonata, chances are you like a quiet PC. If that's the case, go for the SilenX.
AXP 2500+ (Aero 7 Lite) | 512MB DDR400 | 128MB 9800 Pro (VGA Silencer) | 80GB Barracuda | 160GB Samsung | DFI Infinity NFII Ultra | Antec Sonata

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:33 am

tomjleeds wrote:
Nothing comes close to the SilenX 120mm 14dBA fan. Admittedly, the Panaflo pushes 86.5CFM compared to the SilenX's 58CFM, but it only produces 14dBA of noise, which totally slaughters the Panaflo's 35dBA. As you have a Sonata, chances are you like a quiet PC. If that's the case, go for the SilenX.

I have never heard of this brand before, and I really doubt that they can make a fan run that quietly. I would really like to see some proof that these fans really run that quiet.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:40 am

8) IMHO optimal airflow is to have an intake at the bottom front that brings cool air into the case and an exhaust at the top rear (near CPU area) which pushes the air out of the case. It's important that these fans have good ventilation around them to maximise airflow and minimise noise. If mounting the frontal intake uses up all your frontal ventilation holes then do consider you could be harming airflow through negative pressure, you may need to add a little more ventilation, benchmark with and without. Generally if you use an intake you either need a good balance (rem PSU also acts as an exhaust) or else enough frontal ventilation for fresh air to be introduced naturally. Adding fans in other locations can often simply mix up this optimal airflow and end up spinning the existing warm air around or creating hot spots etc. Always best to check temps and see how different configurations work out in practice.

:( I'd never compare dBA nor airflow specs between manus, there's no real std and you can't often fairly compare fans from the same manu. AFAIK the Vantec Stealths are quiet but push very little air, although you may wish to use that as the exhaust and mount the existing higher rpm fan as the intake (in an effort to achieve a balance). I use 120mm Enermax adjustable fans, the adjustability is good for finding a balance. Regarding these Enermax's, they are a little noisier than I'd like and there isn't enough adjustment range, maybe I'm just picky though.

tomjleeds
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:44 am

Starfalcon wrote:
tomjleeds wrote:

I have never heard of this brand before, and I really doubt that they can make a fan run that quietly. I would really like to see some proof that these fans really run that quiet.

Unfortunately, getting another 120mm fan is quite a way down my list of upgrades, but I've heard very good things about the company - I used to frequent a modding and quietening board, and heard only good things about the SilenX fans. Other good brands to look at are Sharkoon and NoiseBlocker for a great Noise:CFM ratio.
AXP 2500+ (Aero 7 Lite) | 512MB DDR400 | 128MB 9800 Pro (VGA Silencer) | 80GB Barracuda | 160GB Samsung | DFI Infinity NFII Ultra | Antec Sonata

atryus28
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:36 am

I use this fan in an HTPC and it works great and makes very little to no noise. Actually now I have to replace another 80mm fan in there because it's now become "noisy".

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:39 am

Ive recently tried the Sanyo Denki fans...specs are really close to the Panaflos for a fraction of the cost...just as quiet IMOHO..
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

AristotleX
Gerbil
Topic Author

OK...Panaflo looks good...anybody know where to find one?

Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:46 pm

I'm a regular shopper of newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com, and wouldn't mind buying from allstarshop.com but none of them seem to carry it. I'm also buying the video card at the same time (MSI 9800 PRO). The link you showed for the panaflo wanted over $8 for ground shipping.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:48 pm

then find a better place to shop from, duh!

I'm going to hop on the panaflo fan bus as soon as I switch socekts and need a 92mm fan for my heatsink :)

oh, and 16dba is impossible, ambient noise is generally around 20, they're not telling the truth

AristotleX
Gerbil
Topic Author

There is no need to be rude...

Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:56 pm

i'm asking for recommendations....do you have anything helpful to say?

Can you recommend sites that you know that i could purchase the Panaflo or Sanyo Denki (haven't found any yet)?
Last edited by AristotleX on Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:07 pm

If it's a fan you want to throttle with a baybus, I can recommend the ball-bearing enermax fans above all else, These come with a tiny rheostat pre-attached and make sure you get that version. Unlike other fans, they run exremely well at ALL speeds where some otherwise quiet fans emit unwanted motor noise especially with sleeve or rifle-bearing type fans. In addition, the rheostat goes down lower than many baybus' will allow

If you just want a good quiet fan at stock r.p.m. I agree with the suggestions of Panaflo and Sanyo-denki. Go for whichever is cheaper, they are both from top quality manufacturers.

Finally, remember that with quiet fans, the noise of the airflow hitting a grille or mesh makes more noise than the fan blades themselves. Consider using a manifold between the fan and the case and replacing the mesh with a thin grille, or removing the mesh altogether. I know the Sonata has one of the better grille patterns out there, but it will still be the prime culprit when it comes to 120mm fans.

edit: does anyone know why the forum posting stats are not linked with the frontpage comments stats? I feel robbed :P
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:07 pm

I looked around recently and the adjustable thermaltakes looked like a good bet for silence (17dba if I remember correctly).

Why couldn’t a fan be under 20db? Wouldn't they just test them in a sound room leaving out background noise?

Anywho, silent 120's seem to be in short supply which is very disappointing. I just opted for some 92mm zalman fans (around 21db if I’m not mistaken, 38cfm). Someone out there needs to start making better fans.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:12 pm

there are two types of decibel ratings, called different things, but there's an absoloute scale and either a normal, attenuated, adjusted etc scale.

Decibel ratings are all dependent on the scale and measuring distance, so the numbers are as easy to manipulate for manufacturers as the PMPO rating on speakers.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:30 pm

sigh... just what I needed to hear. Man I love buying lies, money well spent.

There needs to be a standard, and maybe a few hangings. I spent over 50$ for new fans and they didn’t impress me that much, they were quieter than the 30db ones I had but they could have been a little more, especially for the price.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:50 pm

you and your fans are victims of diminishing returns - you get great value for the money up to a certain point, and at that point, you can get better and better stuff, but the price often goes up faster than what added benefit you get...like high-end RAM vs Corsair Value Select...sad, but true.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:09 pm

Here ya go...nice bunch to deal with...

http://coolerguys.com/92.html
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:53 pm

Hey look, I know I've only got three forum posts or something like that, but I've been overclocking since my P133, and selling machines as an on-the-side business for over 5 years. Manipulation of figures are the way things get sold to the masses and you can only even really comprehend a review if it is comparative to something else that you have first-hand experience with.

The ultra-quiet hardware is an easy way for companies to jump on the quiet-PC bandwagon, but I've been doing noiseless PC's since the screaming delta fan on my first celeron really started getting to me.

With sound reduction, the ONLY way to do it is to ascertain what in your PC makes noise. Trying not to derail the thread, a 120mm fan is likely to create noise from air movement over a grille. Removing the restriction will be more effective than replacing the fan with a "quiet" version than costs 5x more than a regular one.

Assuming there is space, a simple but highly effective tip is to hack up an old fan, so get hold of a cheap/knackered 120mm fan, cut the three arms away which support the motor and fan blades and you are left with a 120mm frame. Screw the frame to the case using the normal mouting holes, then screw the desired 120mm fan into the first fan's casing. It looks professional, and works great for reducing fan noise. If you want me to explain why this works, I'll need to get all geeky, and I've gone far enough for one day :P Lets just say that a budget of $25 spent in this way can make most PC's quiet enough that an idle HDD is by far the loudest component.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:24 pm

the fan that came with my 3700BQE (basicly a sonata without the paintjob or ANTEC hole pattern) is very weak, I replaced it for cooling performance.

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: OK...Panaflo looks good...anybody know where to find one

Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:34 pm

AristotleX wrote:
I'm a regular shopper of newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com, and wouldn't mind buying from allstarshop.com but none of them seem to carry it. I'm also buying the video card at the same time (MSI 9800 PRO). The link you showed for the panaflo wanted over $8 for ground shipping.

yeah UPS ground at frozencpu was 8 dollars for me too, but did you look at all of the options?

USPS first class is $2.50
Science is forbidden. Laboratories manufacture danger!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:24 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
the fan that came with my 3700BQE (basicly a sonata without the paintjob or ANTEC hole pattern) is very weak, I replaced it for cooling performance.

Any chance you can give me the make and model number of the one that comes in the BQE? I could do with one with a low RPM at stock 12V.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:13 pm

I would go here then http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/80120mmfans.html they have much more reasonable shipping and carry a wide array of fans.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:30 pm

I actually like the store LS posted, much cheaper with cheap shipping options too. I'm thinking about ordering the medium speed panaflo and a nexus fan controller.

thirstydg
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:51 pm

http://www.bgmicro.com/lmad.asp

BG Micro has 120mm Panaflos for a little over $3.00 tailed with a 3 pin connector,I just bought 10 of them + the chrome finger guards for $54.00 delivered.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:57 pm

How about the 120mm ThermalTake LED Smartfan? Variable speed lets you pick the balance of noise vs. cooling.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:49 pm

My advice is a Mechatronics 120mm fan. 25dBA, 55CFM. I have one in my Antec case acting as an intake fan. It seems very close to a true 25dBA based upon other fans I used as a comparison.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556034032.html

And from my experience at CoolerGuys, Mechatronics fans don't die.
x--x--x--x