Personal computing discussed

Moderators: SpotTheCat, Nemesis

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:22 am

Thanks for the welcome Compusa2k3.
As far as temps goes, my motherboard runs 76,cpuu1 runs 126,cpu2 runs 112,all farenheit.The noise is acceptable,it's the quietest of my 3 computers.
I have Thermatake Volcanoes on the procs and they make the most noise in this particular case.I must admit noise isn't all that much of an issue to me,so someone else may think it's to much.I have all 3 of my comps running 24/7. My newest is in a Chieftec Matrix case with 4 Antec 80 mm fans with a Zlaman 7000 CuAlu proc fan.
AMD 3500+
2 512 mb Corsair Value Ram
XFX 6600 GT
WD 120gb Pata Hardrive
Plextor Premium 52X Recorder
Pioneer DVD recorder
PC Power and Cooling 400 watt PSU

Rev_Night
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Ok....i need a new case....

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 am

decade plus later, my antec 180 case is still going strong. The um computer parts have been changed a little haha

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:40 pm

Holy necro, Batman!

My memories with the P180 were of lots of foul language whilst I tried to route power to four drives WITH A 120mm FAN IN THE WAY :evil:

Aslo the cheaply-moulded plastic front door pins snapped off first time I moved it to my car and I could never work out what the point of the mesh "spoiler" on the top fan was for...

Still, it *was* quiet :wink:
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am

I'm still in a P180 from ten years ago as well. Cable routing can be a pain in the ass during rebuilds (and I've built new systems into more modern cases so I know there have been improvements in that respect) but I haven't yet found a good reason to replace it.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:48 am

My P182 is still going strong, though the front door has been busted off for several years now.
Death is a side effect of birth.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:35 am

Three of my near-antique (in computer terms) Chieftec full towers are still in service. One as my wife's desktop, and two as file servers (an old soon-to-be-retired one, and its replacement).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Yeah those Cheiftecs.....
(I'm thinking of the wildly popular Chieftec Dragon with the curved slats on the front intake)

Shipping weight 31lbs, empty.
I have a full-suspension enduro bike with 160mm of front and rear wheel travel and god only knows how much reinforced gusset plates that weighs less.

It looks like Chieftec are still doing their thing. 1.0mm SECC and enough structural strength to survive being dropped out of a moving truck ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
(I'm thinking of the wildly popular Chieftec Dragon with the curved slats on the front intake)

A/K/A the Antec 660 AMG or, the case before the P182.
Death is a side effect of birth.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Wish you could see the innards on the Chieftec website. I'm curious if it's been improved since the days where I had one of them.

edit: the 3.5" drive bays got turned sideways, but otherwise, nope.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

alloyD
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Still rocking an Antec Sonata III from back in the day. That thing has to be pushing 10 years by now. Still works great, though!
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Yeah those Cheiftecs.....

Yup, all of my old Chieftecs were variants of that design. Different front bezels (varying geometry for the vent holes/slats and early ones lack the little door with the front USB ports), but the interiors were identical. It meant I didn't need to keep track of which drive cages and rails went with which case, since they were all interchangeable.

Sturdy enough to sit on. And yes, they weigh a ton.

The PC I put together for my son to take to college went into the Antec variant. At some point he decided he was into LAN parties; he got a real workout hauling that thing around (he didn't have a car).

derFunkenstein wrote:
Wish you could see the innards on the Chieftec website. I'm curious if it's been improved since the days where I had one of them.

edit: the 3.5" drive bays got turned sideways, but otherwise, nope.

That's the mid-tower variant.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Oh, whoops. I just followed Chrispy_'s link, which went to that model. :lol:

Not much different in the full tower models. The newer BA-02 isn't available in the US from what I can find, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Those old Chieftec/Chenming cases had noisy 80 mm fans and no dust filters. Modern cases are much better.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, 960Pro SSD, 5TB HDD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Hard to believe this is an 11 year old thread, where did the time go?

P.S. I had one of those Chieftec cases, it was an ugly shade of yellow with a side window.Picking it up was an invitation for throwing out a back.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:18 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Those old Chieftec/Chenming cases had noisy 80 mm fans and no dust filters. Modern cases are much better.

Hence the reason two of the ones still in service have been relegated to server duty. Servers go in the crawlspace, where the fans are inaudible from the rest of the house. I used to have a room air filter sitting next to them to help keep the dust down, but that died a couple of years back; I should replace it.

Rev_Night
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:26 pm

hahah that plastic door was so useless it was off in the first year.

and what is this wire managment you speak of? i just put them in the extra missing bays!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Rev_Night wrote:
and what is this wire managment you speak of? i just put them in the extra missing bays!

Heh, someone else who does this! As long as they're not seriously obstructing airflow or in danger of getting caught in any fans I generally just call it a day. I don't buy cases with side windows, so I don't have to see the cabling when I'm not working inside the system! :lol:

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:14 am

With the total lack of 5.25" devices in my builds lately, I've also been just zip-tying the remaining cables into a ball and tossing them into the empty 5.25 areas.

I used to love those big Chieftec cases, but like JAE says, the lack of 120+mm fans in them makes for poor non-stashed-away computers, especially when trying to cool modern power hogs like GPUs. I still have 3 of them stashed away in case I need a server or large drive-count machine, but none in service any more.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 10 x64

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:42 am

I had one of those Chieftec cases (as the Antec rebrand) for a while. Everything anyone has said about the weight and durability, was true. Unfortunately that same weight, and the lack of any need for the extra drive bays, is why I finally got rid of it in favor of a Sonata(II? Proto?) around 2008. The Sonata has the look and feel of a grand piano -- not quite stylish but always classy. There's probably still a thread around here where I got that recommendation.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration