Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Power Up Issues

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:25 am

Ok... Here is the situation. I have ran into this a total of 2 times and still unable to pin point the exact reason for this problem. It is believed to be the PSU causing the problem.

The symptoms were the same in both of these past cases. When the whole rig would be unplugged from a power source for a prolonged period of time (1-2 days or more) they refuse to allow the whole system power. You could plug the power cord into the PSU and see the green LED light up ackowledging power being on. When you attempt to start the system by pressing the power button the fans inside (Case and CPU) all get a small jolt of power, enough to make them spin for a fraction of a second. The little green LED on the power supply then turns off. The only way to get that small jolt again is to unplugged the cord from the PSU and wait til you hear the high pitched sound of the PSU discharging the last bit of electricty. Then you can plug in the cord again and repeat the small jolt.

One system I was able to un-plug and replug the cord back into the PSU and keep trying to turn it on until eventually it gave in and started. This last time it didnt want to do even want to do that either. The only way to fix this last rig was to allow it to sit there plugged into power with the green LED on for about 1 hour... then it powered up, and runs fine.

This is one of the problems that I would like to figure out so that if I run across it in the future I at least know whats causing it in paticular and can possibly fix it provided its fixable.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:06 pm

Yes your PSU is not putting up enough power to get the system up and running. The reason it takes several tries to get it running is because over a few days the capacitors on the board discharge and you need to restart it several times to get them charged up enough to get the board started up. I would look into getting a better wattage PSU to put this problem to rest. Also do not go with a cheap high wattage unit as that can cause similar problems as they are just as bad as a low wattage one.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:49 pm

I figured as much :)... Id rather go with a high quality 350w over a cheap 420 anyday.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:06 pm

I don't know if starfalcan's explaination is exactly right, but I agree it is probably your PSU.

unplug all un-needed fans, HDDs and ODDs and see if it boots up first try.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:42 am

Did that wayyyy ahead of this post. I tried just about everything both times that Ive ran into this problem. Im not worried about fixing the problem now, but rather to try and discover what causes this the few times that I do see it so that I know how to correct it in the future without telling people to keep their system glued to the damn socket :P