Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

anand
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Anyone using a ThermalTake Big Water cooling system?

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:33 pm

If so, what case are you guys using? I have an Antec Sonata and there isn't room to mount the radiator inside the case. I tried doing it outside the case but couldn't route the hoses from the back to inside the case without kinking them (unless I made them really long but then that required too much clearance in the back for my needs.

If any does have a Sonata and this cooling system and can take some pics of their setup, that'd be much appreciated. Otherwise I wanted to see what cases others are using.

(sorry if this is the wrong area, figured this is more of a case question than a cooling question)

supraman
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:12 pm

At least you have 120mm fan holes. I didn't.

Solution

Look in the case gallery for pics of it with the case.

anand
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:25 pm

Thanks. I'm thinking of going completely external as well as I don't think I want to spend the money for a new case. Probably won't go quite as far as you did though :)

supraman
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:51 pm

I will admit, that was a lot of work.

I am not too familiar with the insides of a Sonata, but I believe there is a hole for a 120mm intake fan. Would it fit there, maybe with a little modification? Alternatively, you could cut a blowhole in the top of the case and mount it there.

anand
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:22 pm

You're right, there is a place for a 120mm fan there. However, there isn't enough clearance around the hole for the radiator (the recessed portion for the expansion slots interferes).

A completely external solution like yours should decreases temps in the case a little bit too, so that's always a bonus :) Maybe I can do both the pump and the radiator outside the case. I'll find shoebox or something and turn that into my ghetto external cooling system :lol: