Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Do you think this case is good?

Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:44 pm

What do you all think of this case? I need a small ATX case for the following system:

MSI KT3 Ultra2
XP 1800
ti4200 agp
1 DVD-ROM
1 HDD
1 floppy

http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=80637

Any suggestions on other cases would be great, i need to save as much money as i can. I need 350watt and front USB, also.

Thanks.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:01 pm

That looks pretty good.

I just stayed up late last night looking for and finally, and rather unhappily, deciding to buy this case: http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=91082. I'm not happy because I know it's probably more than I need, and I may well have to buy a new PSU for it when I upgrade, and I have to buy more fans for it.

I bought it because my HD seems to be indicating to me it's too hot (being next to another). Anyway, the place I bought it from charged like $136 all told with shipping. I'm just not happy about spending so much money for seemingly so little value to me. But I want to get it in a hurry and not fool around, so I decided to take the plunge.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:16 pm

I just got the same case about a week ago, and I like it very much. Big and roomy insde with plenty of room for drives and such. It should have more than enough room for your stuff.

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:53 pm

ragnar dan

well if i remember correctly a 430w true power ps come's with that case and i believe that is the one i currently have...and i was wondering what sort of hardware you plan on running to over power that, also if that isn't enought what do you expect a 550w or something, damn that's a lot of power if so..i thought 430w was a lot

as for pez-king

one of the top two might do ya

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 14&order=1

$48 or $56 if ya must have black
they only have 300w ps but they are antec so they should be as good as or better than a generic ps (probably better) and it should have the space to meet your needs and are fairly small...though i've never used that model but antec is pretty good in general...

goodluck

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:25 am

I love Antec cases. I think that Antec case is a great choice.

In general, Antec cases are darn heavy, but they are tough as nails.
Twitter: @xmunos

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:46 am

getbornagain wrote:
ragnar dan

well if i remember correctly a 430w true power ps come's with that case and i believe that is the one i currently have...and i was wondering what sort of hardware you plan on running to over power that, also if that isn't enought what do you expect a 550w or something, damn that's a lot of power if so..i thought 430w was a lot

It's fine for now, but I'm using it on a P3 and think myself wasteful doing so. And I am thinking that instead of having bought that one, I should probably have got one with a higher-power PSU, and then I could use it with the next system I buy and move just one HD and the other things from the P3 back into the old box the P3 is in right now, and be OK temp. and power -wise. But I am concerned that when I try to put a dually in that thing, it won't handle it with a couple of drives (I'm always buying new drives, and they keep getting faster and hotter). Then again, I don't know, and should probably not worry about it until after I have problems.

I'm also somewhat irked that I can rarely find everything I want at one place. So instead of saving a goodly amount of money, a great deal is wasted on shipping from different places.

Then again, having only slept 3.5 hours last night, that could affect my attitude as well. :wink:

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:51 am

pez-king: Friend of mine has that exact model, it's very solid - however the smokey gray is really light - lighter then that picture depicts. I'd go for it.

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:24 am

I have the Antec Plus 1080AMG case and it's really sweet. What I love about these newer Antec cases are the front hard drive cages w/fan mount and the air filter. The side panel fan is also nice as it blows cool air over the video card. This case also weighs a ton! I can't say much for the power supply that it came with. Mine died after two months of use. The other thing I noticed were the low 3.3v/12v rail readings the PSU was putting out. They were within spec, though. More than likely the readings using MBM were not accurate.

Edit: I'd ditch the cheap case fans it come with for good fans like Panaflo's.

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:45 am

thanks everyone. all the feedback seems good, so i'm gonna go ahead and order it.

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:05 pm

ragnar dan

well i hope more sleep has gotten you to feel a bit better about you case...least i think it's a pretty darn good one...then again with what i got i could be using one of'em little shuttles and not know the difference...oh well

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:12 am

getbornagain:

Thanks. I'm in somewhat better spirits. I'm an extremely "thrifty" type, so spending money on something I think should be 40% the price it costs (outside shipping, of course, which eats up lots of money) bugs me.

Oh well. Will have to figure out a way to use the new case to its fullest potential. 8)