Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

laimis911
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Can i replace psu fan with higher amps but same voltage?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:34 am

recently my PC psu fan started to make noise when rotates ,I have older psu and I want to take from it fan which is 12v 12amps but in my new psu fan is 12v but has higher amps,can i do that ? is it safe ?i don't want to melt my old fan because it works fine in other PC now

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Can i replace psu fan with higher amps but same voltage?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:28 am

I think you are mis-reading the specs of the fans. No PC PSU has a fan that draws 12 amps. Are you sure it isn't 0.12 amps?

That said, as long as they're both 12V fans you should be OK as long as you wire the replacement with the correct polarity.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 am

Also, please note that the line side capacitors can store a potentially lethal charge even after the PSU is switched off and unplugged. If you aren't familiar with proper procedures for working on equipment with hazardous voltages, you may want to pass on this mod.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 am

just brew it! wrote:
Also, please note that the line side capacitors can store a potentially lethal charge even after the PSU is switched off and unplugged. If you aren't familiar with proper procedures for working on equipment with hazardous voltages, you may want to pass on this mod.

Yeah...if the PSU is old, it might just be easier to buy a replacement. Even if you can safely replace a fan, other componenets are bound to have degraded, and it won't do you much good fixing a fan just to have the PSU fried in the next thunderstorm.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

laimis911
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for advices