Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Re: Mining with Seasonic Power Supplies!

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Wow, old thread bump.

That said, those that state they are not Seasonic fans, I'm interested in what you guys bias towards. I used bias towards FSP, but in the past decade or so, I've been using Seasonic (or Corsair) essentially exclusively for builds.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 pm

P35 box with 4 HD and an OC'd C2D 6600 still plugging away for 7 years 24/7 on a Corsair HX520 of the same vintage.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 pm

LASR wrote:
Because there is more than 150w being carried through the PSU end. On the GPU end you would have the 6pin connector and the 8pin connector sharing the load. So neither of the two connectors carries more that 150w

So you have 6 pins per polarity on the GPU side, compared to only 3 pins per polarity on the PSU side.

Doesn't really matter, does it? Even rated at "150 watts" we're talking about less than 20 amps total on the connector, and barely over 6 on each +/ground. This is a defect, plain and simple. There's no mistake here on the part of the OP.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

jackoboy9
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 am

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone had any issues with the Seasonic/Corsair PSUs recently?

My Corsair AX860 from Dec 2012 had the melted PCIe connector issue a couple of weeks ago. Just received my replacement, but was wondering if the issue had been rectified? I will use two separate cable runs for the 8 and 6 pin connectors that my R9 390 requires rather than using the single cable which splits into two 8 pins.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:05 pm

jackoboy9 wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but has anyone had any issues with the Seasonic/Corsair PSUs recently?

My Corsair AX860 from Dec 2012 had the melted PCIe connector issue a couple of weeks ago. Just received my replacement, but was wondering if the issue had been rectified?

From what I was told it isn't an issue that can ever be "fixed". Specifically poor contact will lead to increased resistance which leads to higher current draw and sets up a feedback cycle.

Way back on an 980X I had an EPS12V connector blacken in a similar fashion during a casual round of gaming, but the smell was pretty distinctive so I found it quickly. System still worked oddly enough and shut down cleanly, but obviously wasn't safe to use after that. It wasn't even a heavy overclock at the time which I found to be rather odd, but supports the explanation I was given.

jackoboy9
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Kougar wrote:
Way back on an 980X I had an EPS12V connector blacken in a similar fashion during a casual round of gaming, but the smell was pretty distinctive so I found it quickly. System still worked oddly enough and shut down cleanly, but obviously wasn't safe to use after that. It wasn't even a heavy overclock at the time which I found to be rather odd, but supports the explanation I was given.

How long ago was this?

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:21 pm

jackoboy9, I remember reading an article some time ago that induced me to shy away from modular power supplies, but unfortunately I don't have any links for you. I do tend to connect via pushing the wires, not the connector though. The top-right of the plug in Kougar's bottom pic seems to show some recession vs the other pins.

While a representative sample from Corsiar/Seasonic may not be considered the absolute best these days, it's a quality PSU that should serve your purpose.

[And wow, old thread bump. Sorry, it's just rare that I get to say that on the same page of the same thread, years apart]

Redocbew

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:56 pm

Come to think of it I tend to push on the wires also instead of the connector, but that's always just because I found it easier to do so. It never even occurred to me there may actually be a good reason for doing so. Having to use your sense of smell when troubleshooting almost never turns out well.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

jackoboy9
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:40 am

DrCR wrote:
I do tend to connect via pushing the wires, not the connector though. The top-right of the plug in Kougar's bottom pic seems to show some recession vs the other pins.

Redocbew wrote:
Come to think of it I tend to push on the wires also instead of the connector, but that's always just because I found it easier to do so. It never even occurred to me there may actually be a good reason for doing so. Having to use your sense of smell when troubleshooting almost never turns out well.

I've already plugged everything in, but I'll do this just to make super sure :) I'm also using two separate 8 pin runs to my GPU instead of one that splits into two 8 pins.

DrCR wrote:
[And wow, old thread bump. Sorry, it's just rare that I get to say that on the same page of the same thread, years apart]

:D

Kougar

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:30 pm

jackoboy9 wrote:
How long ago was this?

2010, was a PC Power & Cooling PSU so it was not modular. The only real issue with modular PSUs is that you run the risk of poor contact at both ends of the cables, so it doesn't surprise me it would happen. The JonnyGuru guys can get you all sorts of specifics about it if you want more info.
Last edited by Kougar on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:49 pm

I've generally avoided modular PSUs for that reason. You're paying more for a product with an additional failure mode, and there's generally somewhere you can zip tie any extra PSU leads to keep them out of the way (e.g. an unused drive bay).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.