Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

virenanchan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thoughts on what processor to buy?

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:02 am

I've been looking to buy a new processor for my new build im creating but im debating which model I should purchase, As of right now ive been looking into:

i7 - 8700

i7 - 9700k

i9 - 9900k

Now I realize those models have HUGE price gaps, and it's hard to determine which processor is fit for me unless I give context to what I am going to use my pc for so

I plan on using this new pc for:

VR; Gaming; Photoshop; Video editing; Streaming; School work; and have multi-Monitor support

The games I will be playing would consist of:

CS:GO (not an issue even with my current build), GTA V, Starcitizen, PUBG, ARMA 3, Rainbow six siege, Space Engineers, Final Fantasy XV.

I have all the parts to my build already bought the only things I don't have bought is the MOBO, CPU, and CPU cooler.

I have 2.1TB of SSD storage on two different drives, one consisting of 120GB for my boot drive and another 2TB for my main drive.

I have 16GB of RAM and a 600W PSU I bought in combo with the 1060 6GB, I am also debating on buying the 1660 TI or the 2060

As you can tell my budget is fairly flexible and I intend on having this pc for a pretty long while...

P.S. I have also looked into AMD CPU's as an option considering the Ryzen 3rd gen coming out soon or buying the Ryzen 7 1700x Or Ryzen 5 2600x

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Re: Thoughts on what processor to buy?

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 am

Considering the video card you'll be using is the 1060, I'd recommend considering the Ryzen 3600X. If you were doing a lot of video work to justify extra cpu grunt, vs the other points of interest you mentioned, then you could perhaps consider, say, a 3950x or even threadripper build. I can't speak to the streaming aspect, but if leaning towards the other points of interest e.g. VR and gaming, the 1060 would seem to be the weak point rather than a value cpu. Your consideration of going from your 1060 to 1660 or 2060 may be more of a side-grade than an upgrade to be worth it.

With a flexible budget, in hindsight, it may have made more sense to allocate a bit more on the video card front. That said, it's certainly not like you're in a bad spot. A 3600X should do you proud for some time (perhaps paired with a video card upgrade in the not too long-while future should you so wish, since I'd suspect down the road you'd be held back by the 1060 well before the 3600X).

So in a nutshell, my recommendation would be not to unnecessarily cpu splurge given your planned usage and simply get the 3600X since that sounds like it should serve your needs nicely and would provide great bang for buck. Perhaps the 3800X should you feel inclined to splurge a bit. The money you might have otherwise spent on a high-end cpu could be slated for the next build -- the AM5 platform, DDR5, et al. is not all that distant away.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:17 am

Yeah right now Ryzen is the way to go cpu-wise. What are you using right now? 4th gen Ryzen is launching this year. If you can hold on for around 6 months, you could get a really powerful Ryzen 5 4600X and thus get far more value for your money. Ditto for video card. Keep the 1060 for the time being. It's certainly not bad for 1080P gaming and should keep you plenty satisfied for the time being. Nvidia's Geforce RTX 3060 or AMD's comparable raytracing ready GPU should be out by summer time hopefully. AMD's Lisa Su has confirmed raytracing for 2020 and also I don't think AMD would leave PC users in the lurch while both nextgen consoles this year launch with their raytracing capable GPUs.

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-conf ... er-gpu-too

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:25 am

The 9900K seems like an overkill. For graphics or video work, consider also AMD (Ryzen 3000 have been out for a while now?). Comparisons here.

1060 to 2060 or 1660 Ti isn't a big upgrade (plus, if 1660, much better price/performance ratio in the Super, versus than the Ti). Also consider AMD's new GPUs.

120GB SSDs perform poorly. Not ideal for a boot drive.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 am

virenanchan wrote:
I plan on using this new pc for:

VR; Gaming; Photoshop; Video editing; Streaming; School work; and have multi-Monitor support

If your Photoshop or video editing is going to be heavy duty, consider getting a dedicated Samsung 860 Pro or an Optane drive. Most value SSDs these days are TLC based and that kind of write-heavy workload will just decrease their lifespan prematurely. it would be out of the ordinary if you unknowingly picked up a 2TB MLC SSD.