Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

tekmachine
Gerbil
Topic Author

Dell goes proprietary

Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:44 pm

Did anyone catch this?
http://www.theinquirer.net/15040206.htm

Might save someone from some heartache and an expensive repair and/or medical bill when upgrading a Dell machine.

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:18 pm

Maybe they should rename their company to "Packard Dell."

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:08 am

Insane. They just gotta' make money from everything. Hate that crap.

:-?
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

crose
Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:13 am

Uh, my Dell XPS R400 from '98 has a proprietary ATX PSU. It's not news. I have built my own computers ever since. Dell can try robing someone else.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:34 pm

Sheesh. The only thing proprietary is the part that interfaces with the front panel switches and indicators. Big deal. It's not like they take non-standard memory or any other parts.

If you're going to replace an old Dell mobo with a new Pentium 4, you're going to have to replace the power supply anyway. So exactly what is the big deal?

BTW, the last time I checked, Dell is a business and not a charity. This is hardly a new concept! The object of business is to make money. Isn't it disingenuous to feign surprise about it?
You are false data.

tekmachine
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:53 pm

Speed wrote:
Sheesh. The only thing proprietary is the part that interfaces with the front panel switches and indicators. Big deal. It's not like they take non-standard memory or any other parts.

If you're going to replace an old Dell mobo with a new Pentium 4, you're going to have to replace the power supply anyway. So exactly what is the big deal?

BTW, the last time I checked, Dell is a business and not a charity. This is hardly a new concept! The object of business is to make money. Isn't it disingenuous to feign surprise about it?

Who is feigning surprise? I was always under the impression that Dell used industry-standard ATX power supplies. They don't. Apparently lots of others weren't aware either.

If you want to upgrade the p3 or p4 mainboard in your newish Dell with a newer p4 or athlon mainboard, you normally wouldn't need to replace the power supply. But it turns out you do with a Dell.

I always used to hear people bragging about how Dell used industry-standard parts, so I always assumed their ATX power supplies would be standard. It came as a genuine surprise to me that they weren't.

They posted a follow-up to the original article here:
http://www.theinquirer.net/16040213.htm

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:58 pm

In my eyes, buissness is to provide a service and charge for it, not just make loads of money in every possible way.
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:06 pm

tekmachine wrote:
Who is feigning surprise?

The two posts right before mine were pretty indignant.

I was always under the impression that Dell used industry-standard ATX power supplies. They don't. Apparently lots of others weren't aware either.

That doesn't explain the animosity towards Dell. Has Dell advertised that they use only generic, off the shelf parts? If they haven't, then your misunderstanding isn't their fault, is it?

If you want to upgrade the p3 or p4 mainboard in your newish Dell with a newer p4 or athlon mainboard, you normally wouldn't need to replace the power supply. But it turns out you do with a Dell.

That's not entirely true. P4 motherboards require extra connections and a good deal more power, as do most of the Athlon boards that I've seen. And if you're planning on replacing the entire motherboard every few months (like going from P4 to P4), why are you buying OEM in the first place? Did you whine when they changed from AT to ATX?

I always used to hear people bragging about how Dell used industry-standard parts, so I always assumed their ATX power supplies would be standard. It came as a genuine surprise to me that they weren't.

But you weren't surprised that Dell is a business, right? So you assumed wrong. You could learn something from this, like not to believe everything that you hear on the street. Cursing Dell for your mistake accomplishes nothing.

FubbHead, exactly how is buying custom parts "mak(ing) loads of money in every possible way"? Businesses provide a product or service in exchange for money. Dell sells products. How hard is this to understand?
Last edited by Speed on Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are false data.

tekmachine
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:37 pm

The saga continues:
http://www.theinquirer.net/17040205.htm

Speed, yes I know they are a business. Just posting this to let people know. FYI, I wasn't cursing Dell. FYI, I wasn't blaming Dell on my "misunderstanding" of assuming they use standard parts. When talking power supplies, Dell has been supplying 300W power supplies for a long time now, making an upgrade very feasible. I'm not starting an argument about the merits and non-merits of making money, buying OEM, buying retail, etc.

My opinion of the matter? It's *highly irresponsible* to have a standard atx connector (at least shaped just like industry-standard connectors) wired differently to blow a mainboard and/or power supply when you attempt an upgrade. Other businesses are making money without resorting to tricks like this. And given the latest Inquirer article, it's highly irresponsible for someone from Dell to state they are standard if they aren't. I watch with interest, anyway.

I have some very negative opinions of companies that pull these tricks, and your opinions on the matter won't change them.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:31 pm

So what's your beef, tekmachine? Dell confirms that they are indeed using standard ATX parts, and you're still railing against them. Why?

You say that you "have some very negative opinions of companies that pull these tricks". The only trick that I have seen in this case is the false rumor that is being perpetuated against Dell. Since you continue to participate, do you have negative opinions about yourself? Wouldn't it be easier to admit that you were wrong?
You are false data.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:26 pm

If you don't like dells, don't buy them. It's as simple as that. Never expect much when you're buying an OEM box.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:56 pm

Speed, Tekmachine has a very valid point. The ATX Connector specification is a industry standard accepted power connector. If Dell is using a nonstandard power supply with a ATX connector, they are misleading people. If it uses a nonstandard connecter, then it's not a problem.

I myself haven't heard that Dell states they *are* using a standard ATX connector, nor proof that they aren't. So right now, until I get my hands on a Dell power supply, and a multi-meter, I'm staying out of it. Just wanted to clarify what I think TekMachine was getting at, and I feel his points are valid.

After reading that KB, and reviewing what the Dell rep said, I still think it's inconclusive. Remeber when the Compaq Rep stated that the new Athlon had 512K cache? The way to really find out, is to test the power supplies in a variety of Dells, and determine what really is going on, if they're compliant or not.

On a common sense factor I doubt they are, that would unnecesarily raise the costs of producing the machines, and I doubt Dells upgrade center is a large generater of revenue. But, I rarely take anything at face value anymore.