Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Re: How long before Intel trounces AMD again?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:26 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
No doubt you'll be able to create "125W" CPUs by overclocking. And who outside of AMD yet knows what XFR does to the TDP if there's sufficient cooling, so maybe I'm jumping the gun.

Problem is most leaks thus far show Zen to (at best) overclock as well as Broadwell, which itself is a terrible overclocker compared to Haswell and Skylake. Unless they do some sort of respin, like Skylake to Kaby Lake, maintained 4.5GHz clocks are not going to realistic for most users.
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 am

ultima_trev wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
No doubt you'll be able to create "125W" CPUs by overclocking. And who outside of AMD yet knows what XFR does to the TDP if there's sufficient cooling, so maybe I'm jumping the gun.

Problem is most leaks thus far show Zen to (at best) overclock as well as Broadwell, which itself is a terrible overclocker compared to Haswell and Skylake. Unless they do some sort of respin, like Skylake to Kaby Lake, maintained 4.5GHz clocks are not going to realistic for most users.

I got 4.0 GHz on all 4 cores stable at stock voltage on my i7-5775c. I could push it further if I wanted to, but I don't really see a reason to do so. It smashes all the benchmarks. What more do you need?
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Uh... that chart is comparing a Intel CPU with an iGPU to a AMD CPU without one, right? In that case, Zen does not have the size advantage.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:28 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Not necessarily related to this particular thread, but I thought it warranted a comment. It's clear that the powers that be are listening to the feedback in some of the recent threads about concern for TR, and I thought they should be commended for that.

That unboxing was depressing as all hell. Including a water cooler? Really, AMD? Come on.

Well, I guess the good news is that we know RyZen doesn't OC for crap!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:06 pm

At least TR got a review sample, before release, AND we got extra content because of it. Hard to be too upset. Even if RyZeN does OC for crap. :)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 pm

DancinJack wrote:
At least TR got a review sample, before release, AND we got extra content because of it. Hard to be too upset. Even if RyZeN does OC for crap. :)

Well, we can see that AMD must be massively confident that it OC's well on air! /s

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Uh... that chart is comparing a Intel CPU with an iGPU to a AMD CPU without one, right? In that case, Zen does not have the size advantage.

It's just the cores that are smaller, nothing else on die is smaller. Density is not higher either, they just took out some resources that are barely used. Cache sizes are bigger where Intel doesn't need them to be so large. There really is no advantage here for us.

It might be an advantage for APUs in things like Project Scorpio where it doesn't need to be optimized for so many different uses and they can dedicate more die real estate to whatever they want. AMD has been working to make CPUs more modular. Intel has been racing to the bottom to turn everything into an SoC.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:41 am

Vhalidictes wrote:

That might be true, but Jeff said most sites got Noctua air coolers. That tells me there's not much correlation between TR getting that sweet, sweet EK Predator and Ryzen's OC headroom.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

That might be true, but Jeff said most sites got Noctua air coolers. That tells me there's not much correlation between TR getting that sweet, sweet EK Predator and Ryzen's OC headroom.

Yep. Clearly obvious by the Noctua brackets still on the motherboard itself, no less. :lol:

_ppi
Gerbil

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:29 pm

DeadOfKnight wrote:
It's just the cores that are smaller, nothing else on die is smaller. Density is not higher either, they just took out some resources that are barely used. Cache sizes are bigger where Intel doesn't need them to be so large. There really is no advantage here for us.

That is it - half of Intel's quad-core parts is a GPU that is effectively deadweight for us gaming enthusiasts. AMD just used it for CPU cores. Intel can of course do the same in their next generation. Will they?
Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4GHz, cooled by Noctua NH-U14S | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz CL14 | MSI GTX 970 GAMING | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, all connected to ASUS Z170-A, powered by EVGA SuperNova 750 G2, and put inside Fractal Design Define R5

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 pm

_ppi wrote:
DeadOfKnight wrote:

That is it - half of Intel's quad-core parts is a GPU that is effectively deadweight for us gaming enthusiasts. AMD just used it for CPU cores. Intel can of course do the same in their next generation. Will they?

They have a line of CPUs without a GPU every generation... Maybe you missed them?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:42 pm

-yes, but it's the enthusiast consumer level that's being compared. It's also *more* than half of the core reserved for GPU on those CPU's (..kaby lake and skylake).

Again though, I'm not sure it makes much difference beyond power efficiency at **lighter** loads (..which is a big deal for huge server installations, but really not one at all for enthusiast use). My guess is that both the Intel consumer enthusiast processors (K) and AMD's will top-out very similarly in freq.. BUT it's likely that the AMD architecture requires more advanced cooling solutions to get there.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:20 pm

_ppi wrote:
DeadOfKnight wrote:

I'll say that the GPU is not 'deadweight', primarily because it can be used to power secondary displays that are not used for gaming. However, they don't need to be so 'powerful' for the desktop SKUs- enough to run outputs with the proper decoding blocks for media would be great, and replace those extra almost completely useless GPU units with x86 cores!

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:47 pm

..for most enthusiasts the integrated GPU is probably worse than "dead weight". Not only will it *not* be used (by most enthusiasts), but added voltage (beyond that of cores/memory/etc.) is being required even if there is no load on that portion of the CPU. :oops:

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:56 am

CScottG wrote:
..for most enthusiasts the integrated GPU is probably worse than "dead weight". Not only will it *not* be used (by most enthusiasts), but added voltage (beyond that of cores/memory/etc.) is being required even if there is no load on that portion of the CPU. :oops:

Well, it didn't bother my 2500k to power two monitors at 4.5GHz for years on end with +10% core voltage. I'm just now working on this 6700k after narrowing down a bit of instability to this Corsair RAM not wanting to run at its XMP settings, so we'll see if it makes a difference after that.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:36 am

CScottG wrote:
-yes, but it's the enthusiast consumer level that's being compared. It's also *more* than half of the core reserved for GPU on those CPU's (..kaby lake and skylake).

Again though, I'm not sure it makes much difference beyond power efficiency at **lighter** loads (..which is a big deal for huge server installations, but really not one at all for enthusiast use). My guess is that both the Intel consumer enthusiast processors (K) and AMD's will top-out very similarly in freq.. BUT it's likely that the AMD architecture requires more advanced cooling solutions to get there.

There's so much AMD hype that people are forgetting Intel has been fighting with one hand tied to their backs by "wasting" transistors/die space on the relatively huge iGPU on SKL/KBL, and BW-E is still ~1 billion transistors less than Zen despite having 2 more cores, 2x the memory channels, 8MB more L3 cache and more PCIe lanes.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:06 am

strangerguy wrote:
There's so much AMD hype that people are forgetting Intel has been fighting with one hand tied to their backs by "wasting" transistors/die space on the relatively huge iGPU on SKL/KBL, and BW-E is still ~1 billion transistors less than Zen despite having 2 more cores, 2x the memory channels, 8MB more L3 cache and more PCIe lanes.

There's more than one way to count transistors. Remember when AMD changed how they counted Bulldozer, and the number dropped by 40%? http://www.anandtech.com/show/5176/amd- ... 12b-not-2b

Regarding the IGP- to be honest, that's just because Intel is selling laptop chips into the desktop market, while AMD are selling server chips into the desktop market.

srg86
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:36 am

CScottG wrote:

I should point out though that not all us enthusiasts play games. I don't, so I don't care about GPU performance. I like having the Intel iGPU because it's perfectly adequate for the job, and has good Linux support. I want high CPU performance though, which is why I have the 4790K, and I'm using the iGPU. I could also use the PEG ports for something else.
Intel Core i7 4790K, Z97, 16GB RAM, 128GB m4 SSD, 480GB M500 SSD, 500GB WD Vel, Intel HD4600, Corsair HX650, Fedora x64.
Thinkpad T460p, Intel Core i5 6440HQ, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel HD 530 IGP, Fedora x64, Win 10 x64.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:28 am

To answer the OP's question after looking at some reviews...

In gaming? It doesn't look like Intel ever lost the lead.

In highly threaded productivity workloads? It may take Intel some time to beat them in Price\Performance here. Ryzen is very solid in this regard.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 am

So AMD made a CPU that performs great in synthetics.

Gaming performance is pretty inconsistent though. Guru3D had the biggest game suite thus far. Games like The Division or Rise of the Tomb Raider make this CPU look pretty bad although the other games it performed pretty close to the 5960X.

So AMD re-released the 5960X, three years later. Still better than Bulldozer, which was essentially Netburst re-released a decade later.
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:18 am

Gaming looks functional enough- if you're looking for grunt in other areas without giving up too much in gaming (depending on what you're coming from), RyZen looks like a solid release. And once overclocked, if you're into that, there's very little difference between the three parts released- the X models have a small boost function, usually <100MHz, that adds very little, so putting the screws to an R7 1700 would do just fine for most.

And it looks like there may be scheduling issues with AMD's interpretation of hyperthreading (or Microsoft's interpretation of AMD's interpretation) as there are reports that turning off AMD HT boosts game benchmarks measurably, so we may see a boost in the not too distant future.

But as it stands today, for gaming, the 7700k is where it's at.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 am

ultima_trev wrote:
So AMD re-released the 5960X, three years later.

...at 1/3 the current street price of a 5960X. That counts for something.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:35 am

just brew it! wrote:
ultima_trev wrote:

For now, it sure does. I have to wonder, though- could AMD have a quad-channel 'workstation' variant coming, maybe with more PCIe lanes? Could they have a version coming that has ECC support? Do they have a stepping in the works that clocks higher?

Also, the break with ECC support from the past is a bit perplexing here; AMD had to know that people were going to want to use the CPUs for 'workstation' builds, especially home workstations, and could have easily thundered into the market just by including ECC (or say charging another US$50-100 for an equivalent SKU that also supports ECC).

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:50 am

Airmantharp wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
ultima_trev wrote:

For now, it sure does. I have to wonder, though- could AMD have a quad-channel 'workstation' variant coming, maybe with more PCIe lanes?

I suspect that those features will be reserved for the Naples variant, on a different socket. Quad-channel in particular requires a LOT of additional pins.

Airmantharp wrote:
Could they have a version coming that has ECC support?

I hope so.

Airmantharp wrote:
Do they have a stepping in the works that clocks higher?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Edit: I'd be surprised if they don't though. Since these CPUs seem to have pretty reasonable TDPs out of the gate, they ought to be able to eke out at least a few hundred MHz without requiring exotic cooling solutions.

Airmantharp wrote:
Also, the break with ECC support from the past is a bit perplexing here; AMD had to know that people were going to want to use the CPUs for 'workstation' builds, especially home workstations, and could have easily thundered into the market just by including ECC (or say charging another US$50-100 for an equivalent SKU that also supports ECC).

They may yet release something like this, assuming the AM4 socket has the extra pins for the parity bits. I've been looking for information on the AM4 pinout but haven't been able to find anything; presumably it is only available under NDA. I miss the days when AMD used to publicly release the engineering data sheets for their CPUs.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am

CScottG wrote:

The good news is that modern CPUs will shutdown sections of the package that aren't-in-use, so hopefully the power draw shouldn't be an issue (unless the OS turns the iGPU on for some reason).

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I'll say that the GPU is not 'deadweight', primarily because it can be used to power secondary displays that are not used for gaming. However, they don't need to be so 'powerful' for the desktop SKUs- enough to run outputs with the proper decoding blocks for media would be great, and replace those extra almost completely useless GPU units with x86 cores!

Thanks, Airmantharp! I'll set this up tonight - various weird issues with brand-new AMD drivers and multiple monitors will all go away if I just connect my other monitors to the iGPU. I'm amazed that I didn't think of this already.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Firestarter wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
If I was a bettin' man I'd probably short AMD (or buy put options)

it's always "buy the rumor, sell the news" isn't it?

...and AMD is down over 4% based on the initial RyZen reviews. Called that one right. :lol:

Wall Street bought into the hype, and was convinced AMD had an "Intel killer" on its hands.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Firestarter wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
If I was a bettin' man I'd probably short AMD (or buy put options)

...and AMD is down over 4% based on the initial RyZen reviews. Called that one right. :lol:

Wall Street bought into the hype, and was convinced AMD had an "Intel killer" on its hands.

Buy on the rumor.
Sell on the news.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:17 pm

chuckula wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Firestarter wrote:

Buy on the rumor.
Sell on the news.

Firestarter beat you to it by several days. :wink:

ColeLT1
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Sold my AMD stock before closing yesterday! :D
Main: [email protected] 1.25v/16GB DDR4-3600 15-15-15-35/RTX2080/500gb 970evox2/Custom Waterloop/Corsair 570x/AX1200i
Server: [email protected] 1.35v/16GB DDR4-3600 16-16-16-36/GTX1050ti/500gb 960evo/WD RED 6TBx2/Hyper212LED/Corsair 800d/RM850