Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

NoOne ButMe
Gerbil Elite

Re: When will Intel retire the Core i architecture

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
And yeah, before that was the Intel "Bulldozer" AKA Pentium 4 Willamette/Northwood etc. Good job AMD watched this long-pipeline monster tank horribly and didn't make one of their own. Oh. Nevermind, Ryzen is here, everything's okay again a mere 15 years later....

As I understand it, Intel aimed for a Ghz machine, while AMD aimed for a throughput machine.

They both got to the same (terrible) place, but AMD didn't just go "hey, pentium 4 was good, let's do that, but with way less of a budget."

As for Intel retiring the Core architecture (technically per Intel, Nehalem is technically the first Core microarchitecture part) I don't think it will happen. Not the way we think about it regularly.

We may see something where Core will be skewed either towards purely consumer, with a die reused for server/HPC products which demand lower core counts at maximum single-threaded performance.

And servers goes to a design that ignores trying to hit 3.5ghz+ to increase pref/watt and IPC in the 2.5-3.5Ghz range.
currently running: Clevo W230SD, i7-4710MQ, 1TB SSD, 960m, win10 Pro + 1 HP Pavilion 22XI monitor and sometimes a 1080p 32" Vizio TV.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:29 am

In terms of naming the microarchitectures, I'd just call them with the chip they started with.

P6 uarch = Pentium Pro - Nehalem/Westmere
Sandy Bridge uarch = Sandy Bridge - Kaby Lake (ongoing)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:47 am

I.S.T. wrote:
They count both Nehalem gens as one due to them being identical. The Core/Core 2 thing is dumb, though.

And yet they make a distinction between Skylake (6th Gen) and Kaby Lake (7th Gen) despite them being identical too; That's marketing logic (or complete lack of it) for you!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:15 am

jihadjoe wrote:
In terms of naming the microarchitectures, I'd just call them with the chip they started with.

P6 uarch = Pentium Pro - Nehalem/Westmere
Sandy Bridge uarch = Sandy Bridge - Kaby Lake (ongoing)

P6 architecture lineage actually ended with Bainas/Dothan a.k.a Pentium M. Conroe (Core 2) and Yohan (Core "1") had a number of elements that made them significantly different (longer pipe-lines, Netburst's Pre-fetcher and Quad-Pump FSB etc).
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:
They count both Nehalem gens as one due to them being identical. The Core/Core 2 thing is dumb, though.

And yet they make a distinction between Skylake (6th Gen) and Kaby Lake (7th Gen) despite them being identical too; That's marketing logic (or complete lack of it) for you!

The distinction was made several years ago, probably by other people. There is the underlying cause for the dumbness.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 am

NoOne ButMe wrote:
As for Intel retiring the Core architecture (technically per Intel, Nehalem is technically the first Core microarchitecture part) I don't think it will happen. Not the way we think about it regularly.

Conroe was the official "Core" architecture from the engineering standpoint. When Nehalem was introduced it was turned into a marketing term. http://www.anandtech.com/show/1998

It's less about retiring the architecture and more about Intel finally getting around to implementing another big change. They can't integrate the IMCs again like they did with Nehalem, but surely there are some other random tricks they can begin introducing. A few percentage points gain in IPC per generation is one thing, but two generations in a row with zero IPC gain is another altogether.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:33 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

Kaby Lake has SGX (hardware-level decryption for protected content) and updated integrated graphics chip on it.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:37 am

Krogoth wrote:
Kaby Lake has SGX (hardware-level decryption for protected content) and updated integrated graphics chip on it.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... ls_sg.html

And, SGX can be used to stealthily attack itself.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:44 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... ls_sg.html

And, SGX can be used to stealthily attack itself.

Yep, it is one massive low-level backdoor waiting to be exploited.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 am

I wasn't aware that Kaby's IGP was anything other than the addition of a fixed-function decode block.

In other words, a kludge to work around the lack of general shader power of the IGP, and was otherwise just Skylake's IGP, exactly - especially in terms of 3D capabilities and performance.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 am

Anovoca wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
The only reason the Pentium brand got demoted to mean "budget" is because Intel ruined the name with Prescott and later Netburst chips. I would expect Core to stick around as a name as long as it's associated with good performance.

Pentium has made a comeback. Once all the people that jumped ship to the i3 for web browsing pcs realized that the Pentium processors were running circles around them in single threaded applications. So i guess if anything maybe expect intel to drop the i3 and load up a new chip with the i9 moniker with even MORE CORZZZZ.

/smug strut
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun May 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Wow, Intel increased a marketing number by two. Way to go out on a limb there. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Wow, Intel increased a marketing number by two. Way to go out on a limb there. :lol:

Gotta justify that $1700 price tag somehow j/k

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 15, 2017 2:41 am

Agree with the other comments posted here. "Core i" is more of a brand or marketing term now, and encompasses multiple architectures. If we were speaking of "Core i" architecture then it's already been retired/superseded multiple times, but the "Core i" name will likely continue until Intel makes a brand-ruining bungle like it did with Pentium 4.