Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Core i3 or Core i5 for family?

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm

_ppi wrote:
I do realize I am late to the party, but I have to ask: Why not laptop? It would suffice to your parents' use case, and add portability to the table.

The parents may not appreciate the smallish laptop screens, nor the smallish keyboards. Some of them may have grown up on the typewriter and will not like the shallow key travels of laptop keyboards.

And Photoshop/Lightroom on a laptop? I would not do that unless I am doing this for a living and really need the mobility. Squinting for those palette tools and/or working with the UI under a handicapped resolution (to have bigger letters you may need to dip into those horrible 1366x768 screens?) is not going to be fun.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

_ppi
Gerbil

Re: Core i3 or Core i5 for family?

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
_ppi wrote:
I do realize I am late to the party, but I have to ask: Why not laptop? It would suffice to your parents' use case, and add portability to the table.

The parents may not appreciate the smallish laptop screens, nor the smallish keyboards. Some of them may have grown up on the typewriter and will not like the shallow key travels of laptop keyboards.

And Photoshop/Lightroom on a laptop? I would not do that unless I am doing this for a living and really need the mobility. Squinting for those palette tools and/or working with the UI under a handicapped resolution (to have bigger letters you may need to dip into those horrible 1366x768 screens?) is not going to be fun.

You can still plug laptop to normal monitor and keyboard. But browsing web/facebook on your sofa has its benefits. Win10 screen scaling works okay in my experience, most of the time.
Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4GHz, cooled by Noctua NH-U14S | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz CL14 | MSI GTX 970 GAMING | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, all connected to ASUS Z170-A, powered by EVGA SuperNova 750 G2, and put inside Fractal Design Define R5