Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Coffee Lake 6 core, this August with z370 chipsets?

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Arbiter Odie wrote:
End User wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:
If you don't play games, it's more than enough for windows / youtube.

You don't need a PC for YouTube/browsing/chat/music/Office/etc.

I would venture the opinion that an iPad counts as a PC :P

Touché.

End User

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Arbiter Odie wrote:
I don't know. I have less than 10 bookmarks, so I am the wrong person to ask, sorry!

Good grief!

Arbiter Odie
Gerbil

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:05 pm

End User wrote:
Arbiter Odie wrote:
I don't know. I have less than 10 bookmarks, so I am the wrong person to ask, sorry!

Good grief!

So many, I know right? I should really find the time to sit down and weed a few of those out ;)
Intel E3 1246 (essentially a 4770k) - Asrock C226ws - 32GB ECC ram - Saphire RX580 (undervolted) - Vertex 4, 120GB - 2x Toshiba, 4TB - Hitachi, 4TB

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 pm

And my bookmark question solved. Lots of bookmarks in the folder dont effect browser performance 8). Only addons effect performance.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Arbiter Odie wrote:
There is nothing silly about having 150 tabs open. In my own, personal, experience, bookmarks are rather clunky and I almost never re-open stuff once I've dropped into the bookmarks folder. But if I leave them open in tabs, it's all right there, and I almost always end up coming back to it. I use this for big long articles that look important, as well as forum threads.

Also, I have 32 GB of ram, and it doesn't help at all-- it's clearly the browser(s) not knowing being optimized for so many tabs. I suspect a Kaby clocked to 5GHz would be the best bet for helping the poor web browsers handle the unusual workflow.

Edit:

An example of an article that would receive this treatment.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/maga ... ening.html

You must never close your browser then. I myself usually don't have more then a few tabs open at a time as I don't see the point of doing so.

Arbiter Odie
Gerbil

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:14 pm

@ Robotics Good to know :)

@whm- I use a session manager. It works pretty well, actually.

So, Coffeelake. This is on 14nm, which is the same process that Kaby Lake is on. It would be awesome if it clocked as well as Kaby, given the reports of kaby's delidded performance. Can you imagine an Intel 6 core chip over 5GHz as a daily driver? That's positively drool inducing.
Intel E3 1246 (essentially a 4770k) - Asrock C226ws - 32GB ECC ram - Saphire RX580 (undervolted) - Vertex 4, 120GB - 2x Toshiba, 4TB - Hitachi, 4TB

AbRASiON

Mon May 01, 2017 3:32 am

xDoritox wrote:
Ryzen's IPC is within 2-5% of Kaby Lake CPUs at the same or even slightly higher clocks.

Untrue and it clocks quite poorly.

xDoritox wrote:
I don't think Intel's upcoming 6-core Skylake/Kaby Lake x CPUs will go beyond 4.2-4.5GHz, it's a nice boost yes, but there's no way Intel will sell them for anything under $500 USD. For that money, you can get the Ryzen 7 1800x overclock it to 4.1-4.2GHz and steamroll the competition.

I expect them to ship at most 4ghz turbo mode, stock, then overclock comfortably to 4.5
So you're likely looking at 500mhz higher than a Ryzen, you're looking at 2 cores and 2 more threads extra over a 7700k and you're looking at that kaby lake IPC to boot, PLUS you get a 'free' GPU?
Oh and the intel option works better with faster ram. People seem to be really, really struggling to hit 3000mhz, let alone 3200 and beyond.
Furthermore, the 7700k beats the Ryzen in quite a few benchmarks, and comes /damn close/ in some of the multithreaded. 50% more cores is going to substantially help.
Sorry, Ryzen doesn't appeal to my needs, I'm glad you like it - go for it, knock yourself out.
Last edited by AbRASiON on Mon May 01, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

AbRASiON

Mon May 01, 2017 3:34 am

whm1974 wrote:
jihadjoe wrote:
I feel that what you actually need isn't necessarily a faster CPU, but a ton of RAM. Most of the background tabs would be halted (as of Chrome 57 background tabs are restricted to 1% CPU), so whatever slowdown you get is coming from swapping the contents back into memory when you tab back. If you give each tab 256MB or so, at 150 tabs you'll need 38GB of RAM just so Chrome can keep the tab contents in memory.

Sounds like a NVMe SSD might help here as well, but I think having 150 tabs open is a bit silly. I do believe that if the OP changes his work flow and habits to something reasonable he will find his current system is good enough.

This thread is speculation, discussion and news on the new upcoming CPUs in only 3-4 months, not my workflow (which consists of vastly more than just browsing, but people decided to focus on one thing)

xDoritox
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 01, 2017 7:35 am

AbRASiON wrote:
xDoritox wrote:
Ryzen's IPC is within 2-5% of Kaby Lake CPUs at the same or even slightly higher clocks.

xDoritox wrote:
I don't think Intel's upcoming 6-core Skylake/Kaby Lake x CPUs will go beyond 4.2-4.5GHz, it's a nice boost yes, but there's no way Intel will sell them for anything under $500 USD. For that money, you can get the Ryzen 7 1800x overclock it to 4.1-4.2GHz and steamroll the competition.

I expect them to ship at most 4ghz turbo mode, stock, then overclock comfortably to 4.5
So you're likely looking at 500mhz higher than a Ryzen, you're looking at 2 cores and 2 more threads extra over a 7700k and you're looking at that kaby lake IPC to boot, PLUS you get a 'free' GPU?
Oh and the intel option works better with faster ram. People seem to be really, really struggling to hit 3000mhz, let alone 3200 and beyond.
Furthermore, the 7700k beats the Ryzen in quite a few benchmarks, and comes /damn close/ in some of the multithreaded. 50% more cores is going to substantially help.
Sorry, Ryzen doesn't appeal to my needs, I'm glad you like it - go for it, knock yourself out.

Intel is asking too much for their processors that aren't really any faster than AMD's Ryzen.
For IPC, you can go check Anandtech's review of the 1600x and 1500x. They're using the latest BIOS, and the 1500x at 3.7GHz is on par or faster than 7600K at 4.2 in most "single-threaded" benchmarks there. In multi-threading it's like 50% to 2x sometimes for Ryzen, it's not even a competition.
In civilization after the recent patch, Ryzen is actually outperforming 7600/7600K.
The only difference between the 7600K and 7700K is the HT and the 300MHz higher clock speed, which adds extra 15-20% extra performance.
You don't really benefit from that measly iGPU on the desktop, you can get GTX1050Ti or RX470 for like $100 and smoke it.
With the latest BIOS, All Ryzen R5 and R7s work perfectly fine with 3200MHz RAM sticks.
Personally, in my honest opinion, I think the Ryzen 5 1600 non-x is the best CPU that can be bought right now for the money. 6-cores 12 threads for $230, overclocks to 3.9-4GHz no problems and is a beast.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 am

xDoritox wrote:
Intel is asking too much for their processors that aren't really any faster than AMD's Ryzen.
For IPC, you can go check Anandtech's review of the 1600x and 1500x. They're using the latest BIOS, and the 1500x at 3.7GHz is on par or faster than 7600K at 4.2 in most "single-threaded" benchmarks there. In multi-threading it's like 50% to 2x sometimes for Ryzen, it's not even a competition.
In civilization after the recent patch, Ryzen is actually outperforming 7600/7600K.
The only difference between the 7600K and 7700K is the HT and the 300MHz higher clock speed, which adds extra 15-20% extra performance.
You don't really benefit from that measly iGPU on the desktop, you can get GTX1050Ti or RX470 for like $100 and smoke it.
With the latest BIOS, All Ryzen R5 and R7s work perfectly fine with 3200MHz RAM sticks.
Personally, in my honest opinion, I think the Ryzen 5 1600 non-x is the best CPU that can be bought right now for the money. 6-cores 12 threads for $230, overclocks to 3.9-4GHz no problems and is a beast.

Not to derail this thread, but from reading the reviews of the Ryzen 5 1600 non-x, I would have to agree with you about this. The 1600 with 6 cores and 12 threads is a good alternative to Intel's i5 CPUs with only 4 core and 4 threads.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 01, 2017 9:25 am

Interesting strategy, this is. Looks like they are bringing more cores to the mainstream and lower cores to the enthusiast platforms. I'm guessing that Coffee Lake will be a drop in clock speed and advertised as the value option for professionals and kaby lake-x will be clocked higher and advertised as the fastest chip for gamers and upgradable to the highest end extreme processors.

It kind of makes sense, since they will likely be able to sell a significant number of chips this way, but the implications for the future and how this will affect consumers is not as clear. It seems more like this is a strategy to win the battle for marketing against AMD than anything. Sure, this may have been coming down the pipe for a long time, but there's no way Intel had no idea what to expect from AMD since pretty much all the rumors this time around turned out to be quite accurate.

Coffee Lake will crush benches against AMD's 6-core chips and KBL-X will crush AMD's 8-core processors in games at presumably similar price points. The question still remains about how soon we will see quad cores at the low end. I don't know about you guys, but I'm still eagerly awaiting the demise of dual core chips since the low end is always the determining factor for developers who try to target the largest range of compatibility with the hardware that's available.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Aiming for higher clocks isn't a bad thing as IPC gains, even on the Intel side, have been increasingly marginal. Sticking a Kaby Lake die into the higher end socket while losing half of the platform features seems like a stupid move though. Simply do what Intel has always done before: utilize a binned Sky Lake-E die with few cores active and crank up the clocks. Bonus IPC gains can be had too if all the cache on the die is enabled with say only 4 of 12 cores enabled.

Then again, Intel probably won't do that entirely for a simple reason: there is a niche in the server market that craves clock speed to shave off a few microseconds in transactions. The old Xeon X5698 was one such chip with only 2 of 6 cores enabled but all the L3 cache. The result for the time was the fastest single threaded performance you could get without overlocking. It also remains the highest stock clock of an Intel x86 chip to date. These chips sold were also the highest priced Westmere-EP chips which is counter intuitive considering cheaper models had more aggregate performance (6 slower cores vs. 2 fast ones). More than likely Intel will continue to cripple the amount of cache alongside core count even though it doesn't have to.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

AbRASiON

Tue May 02, 2017 5:40 pm

DeadOfKnight wrote:
Interesting strategy, this is. Looks like they are bringing more cores to the mainstream and lower cores to the enthusiast platforms. I'm guessing that Coffee Lake will be a drop in clock speed and advertised as the value option for professionals and kaby lake-x will be clocked higher and advertised as the fastest chip for gamers and upgradable to the highest end extreme processors.

It kind of makes sense, since they will likely be able to sell a significant number of chips this way, but the implications for the future and how this will affect consumers is not as clear. It seems more like this is a strategy to win the battle for marketing against AMD than anything. Sure, this may have been coming down the pipe for a long time, but there's no way Intel had no idea what to expect from AMD since pretty much all the rumors this time around turned out to be quite accurate.

Coffee Lake will crush benches against AMD's 6-core chips and KBL-X will crush AMD's 8-core processors in games at presumably similar price points. The question still remains about how soon we will see quad cores at the low end. I don't know about you guys, but I'm still eagerly awaiting the demise of dual core chips since the low end is always the determining factor for developers who try to target the largest range of compatibility with the hardware that's available.

I'm on mobile right now, but I googled some die shots of the 7700k and found that if you look at the size of each core, relative to the overall physical size of the entire die, that adding two extra cores will be surprisingly not that much more real estate, I'd guess more like 20%.

I'm unsure how this would impact overclocking, but I imagine it would have to reduce the current 5ghz upper tier stuff lower, something at a wild guess of being around 2 or 300mhz slower.

I do suspect the off the shelf stock speed to be lower almost for certain. Probably due to a tdp increase.
(It would be nice if someone could measure the tdp of a 7700k with some cores disabled while running prime95)

AbRASiON

Tue May 02, 2017 5:45 pm

xDoritox wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:
xDoritox wrote:

xDoritox wrote:

the 1500x at 3.7GHz is on par or faster than 7600K at 4.2 in most "single-threaded" benchmarks there. .

Please don't bring fantasy into the thread, this is actual discussion about the new chip in August.
If AMD can get to 4.7 and bring the ipc and being a GPU, then I might consider giving them airspace.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 02, 2017 7:34 pm

AbRASiON wrote:
Please don't bring fantasy into the thread, this is actual discussion about the new chip in August.
If AMD can get to 4.7 and bring the ipc and being a GPU, then I might consider giving them airspace.

RyZen IPC == Haswell IPC clock-for-clock. With less power and more cores.

If Haswell-level performance isn't satisfactory for you I'd like some of what you're smoking. In the case of a Gaming PC, sure, Kaby-Lake all the way (Pentium G4560 2C/4T).

But that's one use-case out of many.

AbRASiON

Tue May 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:

RyZen IPC == Haswell IPC clock-for-clock. With less power and more cores.

If Haswell-level performance isn't satisfactory for you I'd like some of what you're smoking. In the case of a Gaming PC, sure, Kaby-Lake all the way (Pentium G4560 2C/4T).

But that's one use-case out of many.

The 7700k has been clearly shown to have a superior IPC to Ryzen AND higher clocks (at stock and better overclocks)
The Coffee lake CPU is _EXTREMELY_LIKELY_ to have the same or bette IPC to the 7700k and presumably similar or only slightly lower clocks than the 7700k.
The Coffee lake CPU will come with a 'free' GPU to boot.

For my particular workload, especially having given up gaming and wanting ITX PC's, PLUS for the sake of the topic this thread, bringing up Ryzen and fiction about the performance of it, is pointless. It IS a slower CPU at the same frequency, same core count. End, fin, done.
Last edited by AbRASiON on Tue May 02, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redocbew

Tue May 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Dude, you're not helping here. Put the pitchfork away. The point is Ryzen doesn't suck. Obviously you've got your mind set on building an uber-PC. If component X doesn't measure up, because reasons, then don't buy it, but it still doesn't suck.

For my part, since I also like miniITX machines, both Ryzen and z370 are a bit too far out for me to wait on. I'm not very good at waiting when it comes to hardware anyway. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

AbRASiON

Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Dude, you're not helping here. Put the pitchfork away. The point is Ryzen doesn't suck. Obviously you've got your mind set on building an uber-PC. If component X doesn't measure up, because reasons, then don't buy it, but it still doesn't suck.

For my part, since I also like miniITX machines, both Ryzen and z370 are a bit too far out for me to wait on. I'm not very good at waiting when it comes to hardware anyway. :P

I'm glad some of you like the Ryzen chip, more power to you, it really has several aspects which simply don't and can't appeal to me, I can't be talked out of it - we should stay on topic and that's Intel releasing what might be a real excellent jack of all trades very soon.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed May 03, 2017 12:02 am

AbBRASiON wrote:
Opening explorer, changing applications, changing tabs, closing applications, switching things from monitor to monitor, copying files, scanning files, printing, opening RDP connections, booting VMs , copying and pasting extremely extremely large graphics images, saving files, maximising windows, making flash video full screen. Opening local video files, etc
General.use. I want this particular element as quick as possible.

Apart from printing, which is slow because printers are slow, and booting VMs my system does all of that at a speed that is WAY above the speed at which I can actually interact with it.
Windows are open before my brain is even ready to process the information etc and I merely use a modest 3570K OC'd to 4.6..
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Kougar

Wed May 03, 2017 1:33 am

the wrote:
Kaby Lake-X is just stupid. The benefits of the high end desktop platform won't be utilized as half the memory channels and half the PCIe lanes won't be used. Sure, there is more overclocking head room as the integrated graphics will be fused off and there is more TDP to use, officially at least. (Chip is expected to be rated at 112W but the socket reportedly is specced up to 165W and I'm sure some motherboard makers will go well beyond that.) So for the overclocking crowd this chip will be great but with so much else removed form the platform, I can't see recommending it to anyone else. The upgrade of Kaby Lake-X to Coffee Lake-X would be weird. There is already going to be 6 core Sky Lake-X chips when Kaby Lake-X arrives, so adding another one chip with fewer features but maybe higher clocks.

Random question. Are we sure KBX isn't actually one and the same with KLS?? Many sites were confusing Polaris and Vega launches/refreshes over the last year, and this Coffee Lake business is on an entirely new level of confusing.

Half the memory banks wouldn't work (users installing RAM into the wrong slots would become an issue again, ie no boot). M.2 slots won't work either unless the manufacturer routed them through the chipset, which would negatively impact sales for actual HEDT buyers. The PCie slots not working issue is probably the least of the problems...

Besides the high cost of returns, I don't see how KBX would even be priced. Intel already sells a 6-core at $425, and the upcoming 7740K will probably maintain the $330 price point. So where is this supposed KBX going to be priced at?

the wrote:
Coffee Lake-S does make sense though as it will fit into existing LGA 1151 sockets and provide a 6 core upgrade path. Here, this makes sense. There is the possibility that motherboard manufacturers may permit this chip to be enabled on earlier Z170 boards. This mirrors Kaby Lake chips getting support on Z170 boards.

That's the only thing that does make sense. And until it actually launches KBX is starting to sound like rumors/FUD that just got out of control.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 03, 2017 11:21 am

Redocbew wrote:

If I ever end up building a Mini-ITX machine (I hope to at some point), I'll definitely use RyZen as running Intel's 4-channel CPUs with only 2 DIMMs doesn't make any sense.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

If I ever end up building a Mini-ITX machine (I hope to at some point), I'll definitely use RyZen as running Intel's 4-channel CPUs with only 2 DIMMs doesn't make any sense.

Well that and we wouldn't want to put a 140w CPU in a mITX case anyway, so RyZen it is.

Redocbew

Wed May 03, 2017 11:44 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

You'd have to use X99 to get quad channel memory, but yeah that'd be a little goofy. There's only one X99 ITX board that I know of offhand, and the whole X99 platform in general is a questionable choice now with Ryzen around at much lower price points. I guess if you really need the extra memory bandwidth there's a use for it, but not on ITX.

whm1974 wrote:
Well that and we wouldn't want to put a 140w CPU in a mITX case anyway, so RyZen it is.

That's what closed loop coolers are for. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

AbRASiON

Wed May 03, 2017 5:40 pm

Interesting, yet another one of the reasons I won't consider Ryzen is how impractical it is for me as an ITX person, the lack of a gpu means more heat, noise and cost in a small case.
Intel onboard is perfect for my needs and it's extremely possible Intel will be the first to make a 6 core CPU with video in August. Perfect for my two itx machines.

credible
Gerbil XP

Wed May 03, 2017 6:23 pm

AbRASiON wrote:
Interesting, yet another one of the reasons I won't consider Ryzen is how impractical it is for me as an ITX person, the lack of a gpu means more heat, noise and cost in a small case.
Intel onboard is perfect for my needs and it's extremely possible Intel will be the first to make a 6 core CPU with video in August. Perfect for my two itx machines.

I would put this in for the price with a $230 6/12 RyZen and be done with it as its 3 to 4 times faster than the Iris Intel HD 630.

http://techreport.com/news/31825/visiontek-adds-a-radeon-rx-550-to-its-lineup

AbRASiON

Thu May 04, 2017 12:51 am

credible wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:

I would put this in for the price with a $230 6/12 RyZen and be done with it as its 3 to 4 times faster than the Iris Intel HD 630.

http://techreport.com/news/31825/visiontek-adds-a-radeon-rx-550-to-its-lineup

Again, I don't need any performance higher than onboard Intel.
It requires no PCI slot, it requires no half or full height card.
It makes no extra noise (a good quiet, quality intel cooler will cool my CPU and of course my GPU as it's part of it)
It costs no extra (Admittedly the Intel CPU is higher than the AMD in price)
It's frustrating to need to purchase a mid to high range 'cheap' card just to drive my 2x30" monitors, when an Intel onboard GPU can do this. (So I can't use a $30 GPU, I actually need a $60+ one)

Coffee Lake is basically exactly what I need and I really think, we're going to see some really interesting benchmarks, especially for the gamers (admittedly not me) - you've got that Intel IPC, those Intel Overclocks but the 2 cores, 4 total threads extra that the 7700k lacked. Several of the well threaded video games are really going to shine on this thing.

Redocbew

Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 am

Isn't the claimed 15% performance increase for Coffee Lake the same thing Intel said about Kaby Lake? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what changes there are(if any) to the architecture.

The wiki page on coffee lake lists two stories at WCCFTech as sources, so..... yeah, I'm not going to read much into things until we have more to go on. :lol:

AbRASiON

Thu May 04, 2017 2:08 am

Redocbew wrote:
Isn't the claimed 15% performance increase for Coffee Lake the same thing Intel said about Kaby Lake? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what changes there are(if any) to the architecture.

The wiki page on coffee lake lists two stories at WCCFTech as sources, so..... yeah, I'm not going to read much into things until we have more to go on. :lol:

I don't trust Intel claiming 15% in the slightest, I'd be surprised if it was more than 1%
but a 7700k + 50% more cores and only losing say 10% max overclock (4.5ghz) - sounds excellent to me.