Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Skylake X: Bye Bye Rings, Hello Mesh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:00 am

This isn't exactly a surprise but Intel has released some additional tidbits on the on-die mesh interconnect that is replacing the venerable ring bus for core to core communication in Skylake X.

Intel has a blog post about it and PC perspective has an interesting article too.

In brief, instead of sending a data packet through a ring with a potential hop between rings if needed on the largest Haswell/Broadwell chips, the mesh sends data first "vertically" in one direction along rows of cores until the packet hits the right row and then "horizontally" across columns until the packet reaches the correct destination. That destination could be another core but it could also be a memory controller, I/O, or even an IGP in future products with on die graphics.

The most interesting part is that this isn't Intel's first mesh. That distinction goes to Knights Landing where up to 72 cores are connected together with a mesh. So if KNL hits 72 cores, it looks like there is room to scale this interconnect.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Re: Skylake X: Bye Bye Rings, Hello Mesh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 am

chuckula wrote:
The most interesting part is that this isn't Intel's first mesh. That distinction goes to Knights Landing where up to 72 cores are connected together with a mesh. So if KNL hits 72 cores, it looks like there is room to scale this interconnect.

KNL has cores organised in "tiles" of 2 cores, meaning it only has 36 nodes on the mesh.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:50 am

The more we advance, the more nuanced process layout and memory access have to be.

That said, it probably won't make much difference for consumers. Intel could easily "tile" 4+ cores into a node without much engineering if they've already done 2. They generally aren't so shortsighted to design a new structure without thinking about the next few iterations.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

chuckula
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:54 am

Waco wrote:
The more we advance, the more nuanced process layout and memory access have to be.

That said, it probably won't make much difference for consumers. Intel could easily "tile" 4+ cores into a node without much engineering if they've already done 2. They generally aren't so shortsighted to design a new structure without thinking about the next few iterations.

Yeah, even for 16 cores near the very high end of the "consumer" space it wouldn't make a huge difference, especially when most consumer workloads aren't that obsessed with inter-core communication. Of course, Skylake X is just a rebranded Xeon, and there are workloads where those chips need to care about inter-core communication and be able to scale to higher core counts without choking.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:57 am

Any smart gerbils have an idea on how this compares to AMD's Infinity Fabric?

chuckula
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:07 am

Losergamer04 wrote:

AMD hasn't released a huge amount of information about Infinity Fabric but there are some pretty fundamental differences based on what we already know about RyZen.

First, Infinity Fabric, at least as it exists today, is fundamentally tied to the memory controller in each RyZen chip while this mesh interconnect can (theoretically) operate completely independently of the memory controller although it connects to the memory controllers in any practical chip. Second, Infinity Fabric is designed from the outset to communicate off-chip with other pieces of silicon. There is nothing inherent with the mesh design that allows for off-chip communication although using a silicon based solution like EMIB it might be possible to extend a mesh network between two chips with relatively low latency.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:19 am

Working with HBM coupling to CPU and GPU has probably given AMD a boost in experience with respect to infinity fabric and memory controllers. My guess is that looming :D on the horizon; both Intel and AMD are converging on the same weave based paradigm.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:37 am

Waco wrote:
Intel could easily "tile" 4+ cores into a node without much engineering if they've already done 2.

Mr Bill wrote:
Working with HBM coupling to CPU and GPU has probably given AMD a boost in experience with respect to infinity fabric and memory controllers. My guess is that looming :D on the horizon; both Intel and AMD are converging on the same weave based paradigm.

If Intel puts four CPUs on a ring, and then weaves the rings together in a mesh... would the result be chainmail? ;)

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:56 am

UberGerbil wrote:
If Intel puts four CPUs on a ring, and then weaves the rings together in a mesh... would the result be chainmail? ;)

Only if you're using the International pattern (European 1-into-4 if you want to get technical).

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:05 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Waco wrote:
Intel could easily "tile" 4+ cores into a node without much engineering if they've already done 2.

Mr Bill wrote:

I think it's basically scale mail, with the cores being the scales.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:

Only if you're using the International pattern (European 1-into-4 if you want to get technical).
I had to look that up! Its pretty interesting.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

the
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 pm

One thing is that is being overlooked is that Intel can now to big.LITTLE in the sense that both their larger cores and their smaller cores now have a common on-die fabric. As mentioned in this thread, the Knight's Landing Xeon Phi uses this mesh topology the core's used in Knight's Landing are based upon the Silvermont core design. Of course, this is no indication that they will release something like this (though it would surprise me if they didn't experiment with this internally).

Over looked with this topology change is that this has the potential to reduce power consumption. To move data long the previous ring bus could hit half of the core before reaching its destination, burning power at every step. While some routing logic is necessary for these new chips, the reducing on the number of hops between nodes will ultimately save power.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 pm

I wonder if the interposer used in HBM can be used to provide mesh or infinity link between modules in a package.

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I wonder if the interposer used in HBM can be used to provide mesh or infinity link between modules in a package.

Yes. Raja of AMD has dropped hints that that is the direction he's going for GPUs. Same principles for scaling the number of CPUs cores in a design.

Intel also has their EMIB technology to link multiple dies together. The Stratix 10 part is currently shipping using it.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 pm

the wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Yes. Raja of AMD has dropped hints that that is the direction he's going for GPUs. Same principles for scaling the number of CPUs cores in a design.

Intel also has their EMIB technology to link multiple dies together. The Stratix 10 part is currently shipping using it.

Not producing GPUs in a socket AM4 package was a missed opportunity. I imagine that producing reliable/cheap multi-socket motherboards is the roadblock there.

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Raven Ridge will offer a CPU+GPU combo in AM4 packaging. It is due later this year.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 am

the wrote:
Raven Ridge will offer a CPU+GPU combo in AM4 packaging. It is due later this year.

I know that APUs are and will continue to be a thing, it's just that having the GPU in its own socket would help with power delivery and heat dissipation, and possibly PCIe lane tracing as well.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:51 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
I know that APUs are and will continue to be a thing, it's just that having the GPU in its own socket would help with power delivery and heat dissipation, and possibly PCIe lane tracing as well.

For weaker APU-style GPU, the separate packaging will create issues with PCIe lane tracing and additional wires on the motherboard. For discrete type stronger/bigger GPUs, not sure about power delivery and heat dissipation; how do you channel 200W+ power over the motherboard traces without frying the board itself? Not to mention you need another tower-style heatsink to carry the heat from the socket, unless you are doing watercooling.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:26 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

For weaker APU-style GPU, the separate packaging will create issues with PCIe lane tracing and additional wires on the motherboard. For discrete type stronger/bigger GPUs, not sure about power delivery and heat dissipation; how do you channel 200W+ power over the motherboard traces without frying the board itself? Not to mention you need another tower-style heatsink to carry the heat from the socket, unless you are doing watercooling.

Those are excellent points, but CPU sockets have already solved those problems as there are most definitely CPUs that sustain that level of heat and power. The Bulldozer-based FX processors come to mind.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:01 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Those are excellent points, but CPU sockets have already solved those problems as there are most definitely CPUs that sustain that level of heat and power. The Bulldozer-based FX processors come to mind.

I don't think having 2 (or even more in "SLI/CF" situation?) such power suckers on the board is going to make for a very stable system?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:56 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

How do laptops do it? There are laptops with 7700HQ cpus and 1080 gpu's. Some even have two power bricks!

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:25 pm

There have been murmurs of socketed GPUs for awhile. nVidia's P100 and V100 cards using nvLink mezzanine are probably the closest to a socketed GPU today. The connector used is similar to what several other high end chips like Itanium or IBM main frame books used in the past.

Until recently, it really hasn't made much sense to do a socketed GPU: bandwidth wasn't there. Epyc's socket has 512 bit wide interface with DDR4-3200 has enough raw bandwidth to satisfy a midrange GPU now. This also doesn't factor in the usage of HBM which would fit into the socket itself. When AMD decides to shatter their CPU and GPU dies for full interposer interchangeable blocks, swapping CPU cores for GPU blocks would be trivial while the IO remains consistent.

Kougar

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am

NTMBK wrote:
chuckula wrote:

KNL has cores organised in "tiles" of 2 cores, meaning it only has 36 nodes on the mesh.

Oh, wow. I didn't know that. A few things make a lot more sense all of a sudden.

DragonDaddyBear wrote:

AMD's Infinity Fabric is based on PCI Express. So that tells us it's a point-to-point design, and isn't really comparable nor remotely as scalable as a mesh or even Intel's old ring topologies. Infinity Fabric is intended more for communication across sockets rather than across cores.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:44 pm

the wrote:
There have been murmurs of socketed GPUs for awhile. nVidia's P100 and V100 cards using nvLink mezzanine are probably the closest to a socketed GPU today. The connector used is similar to what several other high end chips like Itanium or IBM main frame books used in the past.

Until recently, it really hasn't made much sense to do a socketed GPU: bandwidth wasn't there. Epyc's socket has 512 bit wide interface with DDR4-3200 has enough raw bandwidth to satisfy a midrange GPU now. This also doesn't factor in the usage of HBM which would fit into the socket itself. When AMD decides to shatter their CPU and GPU dies for full interposer interchangeable blocks, swapping CPU cores for GPU blocks would be trivial while the IO remains consistent.

Yes, I was thinking that a modern APU-socketed GPU would simply use HBM, although a flexible socket would have access to DIMM slots as well.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:06 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
the wrote:

Yes, I was thinking that a modern APU-socketed GPU would simply use HBM, although a flexible socket would have access to DIMM slots as well.

I'm starting to wonder the same. AMD keeps referring to the GPU memory on Vega as "high bandwidth cache", implying that it's more like the HMC stacks on a (socketed) Xeon Phi chip, backed up by DDR4 for capacity:

the
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 pm

AMD's reference to HBM as a cache in their literature is due to the GPU fitting comfortably into a coherent memory schema. If Vega can utilize an Infinity Fabric link to an Epyc CPU socket as some rumors are to be believed, then they would be coherent with each other. The GPU have full access to system memory as if it were another socket on the motherboard. This by itself doesn't directly improve performance but is simplifies the programming model and removes the DMA barrier for greater efficiency. This was laid down as part of AMD's HSA strategy, the pieces are just now falling into place.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Pretty good server article over at Anandtech intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade

Kougar

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Pretty good server article over at Anandtech intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade

Promising results for EPYC too. AMD's is offering more cores at lower prices and still winning a lot of the benches. :)

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Kougar wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Promising results for EPYC too. AMD's is offering more cores at lower prices and still winning a lot of the benches. :)

Yeah, unfortunately for AMD though, the server space isn't quite as forgiving as the desktop space. (I couldn't think of a better word than forgiving) I doubt AMD will see a ton of market share this year for Epyc (I still hate the name), but over the next few years we should see a good uptick for them. Intel still obviously has a big advantage of being the incumbent in a lot of cases, but AMD has done a really good job with those chips. I hope they can get the platform to a place as stable as Intel (for the most part) quickly.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Kougar wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately for AMD though, the server space isn't quite as forgiving as the desktop space. (I couldn't think of a better word than forgiving) I doubt AMD will see a ton of market share this year for Epyc (I still hate the name), but over the next few years we should see a good uptick for them. Intel still obviously has a big advantage of being the incumbent in a lot of cases, but AMD has done a really good job with those chips. I hope they can get the platform to a place as stable as Intel (for the most part) quickly.

This isn't the K6-K7 days. AMD have already proven themselves to a reliable and robust enterprise/HPC market back during Opteron K8 days. Intel is in serious trouble at their current price points. Epyc is a compelling offer for the next big server upgrade/overhaul. There's so much I/O potential in the platform. There's a reason why most of the major server OEM vendors have already committed themselves to the Epyc line-up.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B