Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fake Ryzen chips

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:04 am

NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Fake Ryzen chips

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 am

I'd be on the lookout for any reseller with the last name of Krzanich.

I'm just sayin...
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:14 am

chuckula wrote:

I'm just sayin...

I wouldn't be buying from a reseller period.

chuckula

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 am

whm1974 wrote:
chuckula wrote:

I'm just sayin...

I wouldn't be buying from a reseller period.

In that case you won't have to worry about fake chips. These aren't coming from Amazon's official warehouses, it's from shady third-parties with Amazon store fronts.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

The Egg

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:58 am

Quite honestly, I think better than 95% of Amazon shoppers don't notice/realize/understand when they're buying an item sold by a 3rd party.

On multiple occasions I've had friends/co-workers who are prolific Amazon shoppers give me a deer-in-headlights look when I point out that an item is 3rd party and not sold by Amazon themselves.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm pretty selective about the third-party sellers I'm willing to order from. If they have few customer reviews, or there are a lot of negative to lukewarm reviews, I stay away. (I'm willing to make exceptions for items which are cheap enough that I'm not going to be upset if it turns out to be a dud.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:15 pm

The Egg wrote:
Quite honestly, I think better than 95% of Amazon shoppers don't notice/realize/understand when they're buying an item sold by a 3rd party.

On multiple occasions I've had friends/co-workers who are prolific Amazon shoppers give me a deer-in-headlights look when I point out that an item is 3rd party and not sold by Amazon themselves.

I did that by mistake once on Amazon due to not paying attention. Now I do when I order from Amazon or Newegg.

Kougar

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm

The Egg wrote:

When practically everything seems to be fulfilled and shipped by Amazon despite being from a third party seller, people really don't see a huge difference anymore. This article makes it sound like someone duped Amazon into shipping out fake stock, though I'm not entirely sure.

And yes, I made that mistake myself when Newegg first began using third party sellers. Got scammed for it too, the $8 cheap knockoff was sent inside the clamshell packaging for the $30 item I'd ordered. The labeling was very similar for both but having read up on both products I recognized it.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Actually I think Intel is behind this. Not sure if they are overstating the performance of their Celeron line or taking a jab at Ryzen's performance. Either way the message is clear: You've been Celeroned.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

chuckula

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Convert wrote:
Actually I think Intel is behind this. Not sure if they are overstating the performance of their Celeron line or taking a jab at Ryzen's performance. Either way the message is clear: You've been Celeroned.

You've been: Thunderstruck!

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Or perhaps Intel decided to clone AMD chips and made them work with their own socket.

Payback time!
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Kougar

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:26 pm

ronch wrote:
Or perhaps Intel decided to clone AMD chips and made them work with their own socket.

Payback time!

They already tried that with x64. Which was how AMD won free x86 licensing. :lol:

But who knows. As the server parts grow ever fatter in core counts and the topologies to make all the cores work together efficiently grow more complex, maybe one of them will see another idea to poach.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Nah, I'm talking about Intel cloning the entire Ryzen chip except the bus interface (DMI).

"Take that, AMD! Don't be cloning our 386 and 486 chips again!!"

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 pm

The Egg wrote:

The first thing i do is check the prime only shipping filter, that weeds out most of the junk. Then i just make sure it's at least "fulfilled by amazon". I figured that perhaps if they're shipping it themselves they maybe vet it a little. Of course i always go for sold by amazon first even if there's a pretty big price difference.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
The first thing i do is check the prime only shipping filter, that weeds out most of the junk. Then i just make sure it's at least "fulfilled by amazon". I figured that perhaps if they're shipping it themselves they maybe vet it a little. Of course i always go for sold by amazon first even if there's a pretty big price difference.

Most of the non-fulfulled-by-Amazon 3rd party stuff I order is out-of-print and/or used music CDs, so generally under $20. Other than the occasional cracked jewel case, I haven't had a problem. And I've had cracked cases happen even with new CDs sold directly by Amazon... the quality of the cases seems to have gone massively downhill as digital downloads has taken over, and they seem to crack if you so much as look at 'em wrong.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Most of the non-fulfulled-by-Amazon 3rd party stuff I order is out-of-print and/or used music CDs, so generally under $20. Other than the occasional cracked jewel case, I haven't had a problem. And I've had cracked cases happen even with new CDs sold directly by Amazon... the quality of the cases seems to have gone massively downhill as digital downloads has taken over, and they seem to crack if you so much as look at 'em wrong.

People still buy CDs? I thought that folks quit buying those once portable audio devices that can playback MP3 and newer codecs become affordable.

yeti
Gerbil

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 am

Oh yes, but purely for reference and research purposes you know.......(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!) :wink:

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:52 am

whm1974 wrote:
People still buy CDs? I thought that folks quit buying those once portable audio devices that can playback MP3 and newer codecs become affordable.

1. Most music is still not available as a lossless download at reasonable prices.

2. Physical CDs often come with extras (e.g. booklet with lyrics & other info).

3. Strange as it may seem (it certainly seems a bit odd to me), having a physical CD shipped to my house is often cheaper than the digital download.

I would guesstimate that my music purchases are around 70/30 physical media to digital downloads these days. If digital downloads were lossless, included the same info/artwork as the physical package (e.g. in PDF form), and cost the same or less than the physical media, that ratio would probably be approximately reversed.

Kougar

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:53 am

just brew it! wrote:
1. Most music is still not available as a lossless download at reasonable prices.

If the artists are still producing give them an email or hit their twitter. Seems silly I know but just sending a quick note or tweet to two groups I like got them to give lossless a try with their most recent albums. One of them had even tweeted back they didn't see a reason to, but a week later apparently changed their minds and tweeted back a link to 7digital :lol:

just brew it! wrote:
3. Strange as it may seem (it certainly seems a bit odd to me), having a physical CD shipped to my house is often cheaper than the digital download.

Oh, that triggers me so much with books. Cost of manufacturing and printing a paperback is large chunk of a book's price, while a CD is a buck or two tops. Yet the price savings for buying an ebook is still just a couple dollars off at most even if it's against the hardback edition. What a racket.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:16 am

Kougar wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

If the artists are still producing give them an email or hit their twitter. Seems silly I know but just sending a quick note or tweet to two groups I like got them to give lossless a try with their most recent albums. One of them had even tweeted back they didn't see a reason to, but a week later apparently changed their minds and tweeted back a link to 7digital :lol:

A lot of indie labels and self-distributed artists are already on Bandcamp, which offers FLAC downloads at reasonable prices. I doubt we'll see lossless downloads of major-label titles at reasonable prices any time soon though.

HDtracks offers lossless downloads of many major label albums, but they're typically priced around $20. They're HD (96/24)... so they figure they can charge a premium over what a CD costs.

What I'd really like to see is CD quality downloads, for the price of a CD (or slightly less).

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
the quality of the cases seems to have gone massively downhill as digital downloads has taken over, and they seem to crack if you so much as look at 'em wrong.

Not to mention them cutting corners to save on shipping (granted I did not pay any so I am contributing to the problem), they now just use padded envelopes and in the harsh environments known as the USPS delivery pipeline (UPS are also known for throwing boxes around too) which cracked my latest physical CD purchase too. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Convert wrote:

Would have been so much better if you'd spelled it "Celerowned..."
I have nothing more to say about that.

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Heh. It's PolyStation 3 and Robert Cop 2 all over again

EDIT: Well, looks like the board hates Imgur. I'll have to post them elsewhere. :-?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Doctor Venture wrote:
EDIT: Well, looks like the board hates Imgur. I'll have to post them elsewhere. :-?

Nah. What it hates is that weird URL that Imgur creates. Once you upload an image, wait a few seconds for the server backend to finish processing it, then right-click on the image and select "Open in a new tab/window...". If you get the bare image with an Imgur URL that ends in a filetype extension (.jpg, png, whatever format you uploaded), you can then embed it here using the IMG tags.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration