Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Dumb idea/thought experiment

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:16 am

Redocbew wrote:
Doctor Venture wrote:
If I knew latin, I'd make the family motto something along the lines of "If it wasn't for all the bad luck, we wouldn't have any at all".

Si non omnes Sorte omnino nolumus

That's according to Google, so don't go get this tattooed on your arm or something. :P

Comes back from Google as "If you do not at all we do not want all the bad luck" :lol:

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:36 am

Redocbew wrote:

Si non omnes Sorte omnino nolumus

That's according to Google, so don't go get this tattooed on your arm or something. :P

I learned my lesson to not get tattoos, when I was 19. My then girlfriend wanted one, so I went to the shop with her, and found what I thought was a really neat tattoo of the Kanji for "Ryu" that incorporated the dragon in the design. Problem is, I worked around mostly Hong Kongers, and some Mainland Chinese immigrants. Turns out that in either Cantonese or Mandarin, "Ryu" reads as turtle. And not the cool Black Turtle god of the North, just your average slow-ass turtle. I deservedly got mocked for that, until I saved up the money to have it removed.

EDIT: I wish I could remember how to say the Cantonese equivalent of "It can't rain every day". That was kinda my little mantra for a while, when times would get tough. it's been so long, all I can remember are some items from the menu, and a couple of swear words/phrases that would start a brawl.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:14 am

I had a girlfriend who had a Kanji on the back of her neck for "pain". I should have paid more attention to that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 am

One of my son's GFs had a tattoo of a battery door. Yes, his GFs have all been nerds.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Well, at the risk of zombifying this thread, it turns out I wasn't completely off the mark. While HBM2 and HMC are still really expensive, I was doing a little research for someone who wanted to know why certain models of Cisco routers couldn't be emulated (long story short, even though the 1921/1941 line *do* have x86 CPUs on their ISM boards, it's all the ancillary chips, and WICs (like V-SAT, LTE, VPN accelerators, and Digital Voice DSPs) that can't be supported without a massive reverse-engineering project), I discovered a few things that actually use HMC. Bittware uses it in their boards sparingly, but the use that caught me off guard, was that Juniper uses 6GB of HMC for every Q5 ASIC in their QFX-10K switches. 4GB for packet buffers, and the other 2GB for various tables, like FIB, ARP caches, ACLs, ACEs, etc...

I thought that was kinda neat, but considering the sheer amount of Q5 ASICs being used by certain models of that switch line, that can't be cheap at all. O_o

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 am

Doctor (Thaddeus) Venture, if you knew how much Netscreen/Juniper stuff costs, even compared to Cisco, you'd know you were right.

Juniper has a long heritage of using (highly) custom ASICS to do a variety of nominally software-based network tasks. Other than cost, it's a good solution to get superior speeds. The problems come in when you try to patch bugs, and realize that it's in the hardware.

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Doctor (Thaddeus) Venture, if you knew how much Netscreen/Juniper stuff costs, even compared to Cisco, you'd know you were right.

Juniper has a long heritage of using (highly) custom ASICS to do a variety of nominally software-based network tasks. Other than cost, it's a good solution to get superior speeds. The problems come in when you try to patch bugs, and realize that it's in the hardware.

It's been about 8 years since I touched their Netscreen equipment (I had to help a coworker set up VPNs for every site we had. He was in charge, I was just the dog's body), but about 14 months ago, I was price checking am MX5 router on ebay, and that thing was like $15,000 used, and the bids kept going higher and higher. I just price checked a QFX10008, and it's going for about $90,000, and even that seems a little low.

That's one reason I'm glad they made public trials of vMX and vQFX available, so we can at least play with it, and learn a few things. I just wish those buttheads would release updated versions more often. The version of vQFX (15.1X53) is really old, and the KVM file for the vRE is still busted. We have to export the file out of the Vagrant version. *harumph*

EDIT: And speaking of buttheads, why can't Alcatel/Nokia release a trial version of their SR-OS VM (or whatever they're running on their latest service router)? I have the old 13.0R.6 TiMOS VM, and it rebooting every 60 min isn't a problem (nor is only having 5 network interfaces). I've called their sales and educational departments repeatedly, to see what courses I would have to take, just to be given a recent version of that VM, and you'd think I just dropkicked their baby. There's zero chance of me running their virtualized SR-OS and compete with their new F4 or F5 ASIC, so why not help the folks who want to learn how to use their equipment? All they did, was grant me access to ancient 7750 manuals....:(