Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

(Updated) AMD (does?) want TR to report on TR

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 pm

*** UPDATE AUG. 4: AMD capitulated to our unrelenting campaign of trolls, sarcasm, and outright terroristic threats. TR WILL BE ABLE TO REVIEW TR!! ***

Jeff said it all here.

No TR review sample of TR for TR to review and tell us about TR.

I'm blaming it on The Techreport ripping off AMD's abbreviation for ThreadRipper when Wasson launched the site in 1999.

Incidentally, for all the insults that have been hurled at the Skylake X platform Intel sure didn't seem to have a problem sending TR a review sample with enough time for them to have the review ready on the day that Skylake X went available for pre-order (not the on-sale day, pre-order day).

Something tells me that if the ThreadRipper really was the miracle + bag of chips that we've been promised, AMD would have somehow have found a way to get a review sample to TR.
Just saying.
Last edited by chuckula on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: AMD Doesn't want TR to report on TR

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Maybe they've already sent out all the working ones?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

chuckula
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:

That's not right, I still haven't gotten mine and Lisa promised!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Well, that's one way to disappoint a certain (and well-funded) segment of the market.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:41 am

chuckula wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That's not right, I still haven't gotten mine and Lisa promised!

Sorry, yours got diverted to AMDisDEC. Flattery gets you everywhere apparently.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 am

This sure is a funny thread to see this ad at the bottom of...

chuckula
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:51 am

drfish wrote:
This sure is a funny thread to see this ad at the bottom of...

This is what it sounds like.. when the buffaloes cry.

[Apologies to Prince's ghost]

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 am

Well that bytes. I bet Anandtech will get one because of their more server oriented setup. I hope we are not going to see a bunch of lame youtube reviewers getting the scoop.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:04 am

Mr Bill wrote:
I hope we are not going to see a bunch of lame youtube reviewers getting the scoop.

Don't worry, JayzTwoCents and LinusTechTips will be getting them.

...oh. OH!
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

chuckula
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 am

Looks like Anand did get samples: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11689/amd ... r-unboxing

Holy crap is that too much packaging and I'm not even talking about the over-the-top foam boxes for the chips, I'm talking about the giant suitcase that houses the boxes that house the chips.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 am

chuckula wrote:
Looks like Anand did get samples: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11689/amd ... r-unboxing

Holy crap is that too much packaging and I'm not even talking about the over-the-top foam boxes for the chips, I'm talking about the giant suitcase that houses the boxes that house the chips.
That was rather impressive and good marketing. Since the NDA allows an unboxing; I suppose we will soon know at least a few of who one of the 250.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:
I hope we are not going to see a bunch of lame youtube reviewers getting the scoop.

Don't worry, JayzTwoCents and LinusTechTips will be getting them.

...oh. OH!
Oy Vey! LinuxTechTips already really has one and JayzTwoCents is getting one? Arrrg.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 am

Oh, I have no idea. I'm just guessing so.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Oh, I have no idea. I'm just guessing so.

They do.

JayzTwoCents

Linus Tech Tips

I guess TR is too laid back and not enough cult of personality to suit AMD at this particular moment.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:45 am

I think they know the younger crowd is moving to all video for their info. I personally can read faster than YouTubers talk, plus I don't want to listen to some guy mispronounce something, so I prefer text. They can get more hype out of YouTubers than they can a site that will dissect everything in-depth like TR.

Not to say some YouTubers don't dissect stuff, but it gets lost among all the jump cuts and slow camera sweeps over their snazzy RGB PC cases.

AMD has been doing this for a long time. Go back to the Fury launch when Roy Taylor told the world Scott's written review process wasn't "fair" and there would be plenty of "fair reviews". Implied the same thing about [H] and Kyle had a **** fit. Linus got a Fury to show to the world. And then 6 months later, Scott was an AMD employee. Suck it, Roy.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 am

I didn't see anything in the JayzTwoCents vid indicating that he has one. (Didn't watch it end-to-end, but skimmed it.)

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:15 pm

JayzTwoCents has two of them, AMD sent him one 1920 and one 1950.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3s7rEY-22w

As for AMDs choice in this matter, I'm not surprised. This community isn't interested in HEDT products. I think there are less than ten regulars in this forum that have X99 or X79. We are one of the most austere, pedantic, and thrifty social groups in the entire tech community. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, but it certainly is going to color how an outside company is going to view the marketing value of this site.

I expect of the ten or so X99/X79 users we have in this community, three will upgrade to ThreadRipper, two to Skylake-X, and the remaining five will say their existing CPU is good enough for another twenty years. #SandyBridge4Ever /s
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
I expect of the ten or so X99/X79 users we have in this community, three will upgrade to ThreadRipper, two to Skylake-X, and the remaining five will say their existing CPU is good enough for another twenty years. #SandyBridge4Ever /s

:lol: :D

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
JayzTwoCents has two of them, AMD sent him one 1920 and one 1950.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3s7rEY-22w

Ahh, OK.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
As for AMDs choice in this matter, I'm not surprised. This community isn't interested in HEDT products. I think there are less than ten regulars in this forum that have X99 or X79. We are one of the most austere, pedantic, and thrifty social groups in the entire tech community. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, but it certainly is going to color how an outside company is going to view the marketing value of this site.

Even so, TR is fairly respected well beyond the borders of the active forum community, and would be counted upon to give the platform a thorough performance analysis. Classic AMD marketing prowess that they would spend all that money on Pelican cases and monogrammed, numbered review samples sent to VJ sites for glamorous unboxing ceremonies, when they ought to be at least somewhat concerned with having plenty of hard numbers showing the platform chewing up Intel's finest.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
As for AMDs choice in this matter, I'm not surprised. This community isn't interested in HEDT products.

Perhaps not the forum dwellers, but there are many in the tech community that regard TR as one of the best review sites for thorough and deep analysis of new products.

Count me in for one of those looking to upgrade - once ECC support and operability is confirmed, my NAS is likely moving to a TR platform provided performance is as expected from the early sneak peeks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:27 pm

TR seems like a rather massive overkill for a NAS.

(But then, my NAS is currently a 1090T, and I think that's overkill, so what do I know... :lol:)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:54 pm

just brew it! wrote:

(But then, my NAS is currently a 1090T, and I think that's overkill, so what do I know... :lol:)

4K transcoding on the fly is tough on cores. :) It'd be cheaper to pre-transcode everything, but I'd rather just throw CPU power at it versus wasting storage and admin time.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Plus all those spindles and heads to keep track of...
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 pm

If I was in charge of sending out samples, I'd probably say why send an early review sample when there's a really good chance the review won't hit on NDA lift. First impressions of a product are pretty important. If a glut of sites all have a review out, and a couple with thorough ones, most of the impression is already set. A late review doesn't have much else to say, even if the words are embiggened by Jeff.

Whether or not the regulars are interested in HEDT is decently irrelevant. Neither my suggestion of a untimely review, even if extra polished, nor the interest level of a few regulars has ever really kept a company from providing a review sample as far as anyone is aware.

No, I think there's more here than that. Perhaps these other sites have a better relationship with the CPU division? Perhaps many of them are green enough to allow that excitement and gratitude of receiving a unit to tilt the review in AMD's favor. Some of them I've never even heard of before, which probably reflects more on me... Maybe it's all of the above.

It's easy to discard the snub with a "Well we didn't really want one anyway" attitude, but I'm going to go with a no on this one, personally.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Kougar

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Doesn't really make sense, smaller sites appear to be getting samples.

In that case, Jeff should buck the trend and post that shiny 7920x review on Threadripper's NDA lift date. :P

chuckula
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Kougar wrote:
Doesn't really make sense, smaller sites appear to be getting samples.

In that case, Jeff should buck the trend and post that shiny 7920x review on Threadripper's NDA lift date. :P

What I want is for Intel to ship out the review sample in the most boring cardboard box possible and then have Kampman put on the most hilariously done over-the-top unboxing spoof video you can think of.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Shoot, my VM server only has 2 cores (4 threads - 6100) and runs multiple machines at once (usually 6).. (..with one machine doing NAS duty). Qemu seems to handle the load-balancing rather well (..though most tasks on each VM are overall non-intensive).

..it does however require quite of bit of system memory overall though. :oops: (..and memory wasn't exactly cheap when I purchased it a year ago, and it's a lot worse now.)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Do many people not use their NAS for a media server? Perhaps that's the main distinction, I consistently serve up 3-5 transcoding sessions at a time on busy nights. I share the access with family and friends, so it's pretty much consistently busy. A single 4K BluRay transcode will choke the server, even locally, with one stream. 4 cores / 8 threads of reasonably clocked Haswell Xeon just isn't enough.

Still, I was hoping AMD would buck their Fiji trend and send TR a TR. :cry:

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Yup, that's probably the difference :oops: . I've got video/movies on another system..

It would probably also make for a good article for TR - more cores for a heavy Media Server.
Last edited by CScottG on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.