:lol:

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: AMD Doesn't want TR to report on TR

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Glorious wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:
Proves my point and I love TR's reviews

You might want to make that point differently then, because you said things like "dislike" "disparaging" which is *not* in line with my point, which is that TR offers in-depth reviews that examine a product from all angles, save perhaps the "coolness" of the packaging it comes in. My claim was that AMD didn't want to focus on that, it wanted to focus on "coolness", hence TR didn't get a sample.

What I am saying is that you shouldn't say it is a dislike, or a disparagement, to faithfully provide reviews that offer a full measure of a product's performance, efficiency and value.

Mr Bill wrote:
It would be nice if AMD realized we have folks like Waco and maybe others who make IT decisions who are honestly looking for reasons to pick up a Threadripper.

My entire point is that AMD *did* realize that, and hence TR didn't get one.
Sorry, I know our reviewers are really fair. Its some of the comments that give the negative vibe and I failed to make clear that the these were separate.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: (Updated) AMD (does?) want TR to report on TR

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Waco wrote:
Topinio wrote:
Transcoding, media service, and file service: not the same boxes. (NAS is a Celery with ECC RAM.)

I refuse to run multiple servers. :)

Also, in regards to the update, WOOOOOOOOOO! :)
Woooooooo! indeed! :D :D
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 pm

CScottG wrote:
Waco wrote:

I mean, why would I? Storage is ZFS, it'll happily eat up threads. Plex serves media, again thread happy if transcoding. Samba for Windows shares...it runs like crap anyway so it won't be a step back.

I can't find a reason to separate the three, and I can find many to keep them together. Am I forgetting something obvious?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

lem18
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Great news that TR will be getting TR! #251/250? :P

Which makes me wonder.. who got #1? Brian Krzanich? (lol)

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Waco wrote:
I mean, why would I?

The only reason I have the NAS is that I ran out of mainboard SATA ports on main server (which I originally envisioned much like yours, and it still has lots of storage on it natively) and I got totally fed up with my add-in SATA controller.

I could spend ~$100+ getting a 4-port one that maybe didn't suck as much as the one I gave up on, or I could buy an entirely separate machine (HP ML10v2) for $200 with 6 ones that I could be confident of....

...of course I eventually spent even more money on memory for the NAS and a little additional money on point-to-point 10Gbe between the two, but, hey, it's an enthusiast forum so I'm among friends lol.

Either way, yeah, I'm philosophically on the same boat as you. One machine if possible, I mean, why not?

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Waco wrote:
CScottG wrote:
Waco wrote:

I mean, why would I? Storage is ZFS, it'll happily eat up threads. Plex serves media, again thread happy if transcoding. Samba for Windows shares...it runs like crap anyway so it won't be a step back.

I can't find a reason to separate the three, and I can find many to keep them together. Am I forgetting something obvious?

No, if you've got the system to handle it - it makes sense. There's probably a few reasons to do resource-splitting to different hardware, but probably not compelling to do so if you've already got a system capable of handling all your hardware server needs.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:27 pm

CScottG wrote:
No, if you've got the system to handle it - it makes sense. There's probably a few reasons to do resource-splitting to different hardware, but probably not compelling to do so if you've already got a system capable of handling all your hardware server needs.

I purpose-built my NAS, so I'm probably already out into the weeds in terms of "regular stuff". :lol:

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:09 pm

meh

outa my budget just like skylake-x anyway
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Glorious wrote:
I got totally fed up with my add-in SATA controller.

Yeah, no kidding. Unfortunately there seems to have been a race to the bottom on SATA cards. Unless you move up to enterprise grade stuff they're a crapshoot.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Waco wrote:
..so I'm probably already out into the weeds in terms of "regular stuff". :lol:

That was the reason for my: :lol:

..I instantly envisioned a "Tim the Toolman Taylor" system that went *far* beyond what most NAS devices are capable of (..well, the consumer stuff). :wink: Though that's pretty much what a Threadripper setup would be, so this is definitely in the right thread. ..and besides, I like overkill systems! :D

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I think there might be a general impression that TR readers dislike the AMD processor and video platforms.
If you noted that every 5th message on the front page comments was an attack on AMD, you too might believe that TR as a whole was anti-AMD. If you noticed that 90% of the anti-AMD comments were posted by the same handful of Intel and NVidia jihadists, then you might believe that TR was anti-AMD for failing to rein in the trolls.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Glorious wrote:

Yeah, no kidding. Unfortunately there seems to have been a race to the bottom on SATA cards. Unless you move up to enterprise grade stuff they're a crapshoot.

$70 Dell Perc cards, IBM rebrands, etc are all easily had on Ebay. They all flash with the standard LSI/Broadcom/Avago firmware with a bit of effort.

You can get 8e and 8i models, so 8 direct-connect SATA drives with the right cables. The newer PCIe 3 versions are even available these days for similar prices.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:14 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:
I think there might be a general impression that TR readers dislike the AMD processor and video platforms.
If you noted that every 5th message on the front page comments was an attack on AMD, you too might believe that TR as a whole was anti-AMD. If you noticed that 90% of the anti-AMD comments were posted by the same handful of Intel and NVidia jihadists, then you might believe that TR was anti-AMD for failing to rein in the trolls.
Both fair points. When I built this A10 7850 system I got all sorts of criticism in a front page wrangle for building an AMD system instead of a more efficient Intel system, for putting in a beefier power supply than I needed, for wanting a display port.

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Waco wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Glorious wrote:

$70 Dell Perc cards, IBM rebrands, etc are all easily had on Ebay. They all flash with the standard LSI/Broadcom/Avago firmware with a bit of effort.

You can get 8e and 8i models, so 8 direct-connect SATA drives with the right cables. The newer PCIe 3 versions are even available these days for similar prices.

That's all correct and something I've looked into. But I think JBI's point goes roughly like this and matches mine: "why can't we just buy an add-in card that works?"

I guess the obvious answer is "because almost nobody wants one," but I doubt that the market is that small.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:17 pm

My current server has a mix of consumer SATA cards in it, and I'm not happy about it. Ports seem to randomly downshift to 3 Gbit, and they're hopelessly flaky for eSATA. In spite of this, all of the RAID arrays have remained intact and healthy for over a year, so I guess there's that.

I have an 8-port LSI card I plan to swap in when I can find the time.

Demetri
Gerbil

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 pm

lem18 wrote:
Great news that TR will be getting TR! #251/250? :P

Which makes me wonder.. who got #1? Brian Krzanich? (lol)

AMDisDEC's bae got #1:

https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/894291230011641857

lem18
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Demetri wrote:

Nice! It'll be good to watch the Reddit post get updated, then some day see the full list of who got what numbers. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6 ... amd_ryzen/

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 pm

I got #i.

:D

chew*
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:19 am

Guys should relax a bit take a deep breath take a sip of a drink and then realize you never know who is lurking in the shadows. ;)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm

chew* wrote:
Guys should relax a bit take a deep breath take a sip of a drink and then realize you never know who is lurking in the shadows. ;)

Any hints to help us figure out what you did in particular to help? AMD insider? :P

chew*
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Waco wrote:
chew* wrote:

Any hints to help us figure out what you did in particular to help? AMD insider? :P

Just requires an email from the right people to the right people.

Sometimes there is so much going on all at once that there are oversights. Vega and TR so close together amidst some other noise in the background would be an educated guess.

I could not say for sure because my talent and work is way way out of spec and way out in left field and "off the record" quite often.

Btw I honestly am immune and used to poo slinging on forums. It is the nature of the internet and i have a good sense of humor. Others however may take offense. In the future for the sake of site maybe pointing out pros/cons without the less constructive poo would benefit site more.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:06 pm

chew* wrote:
Btw I honestly am immune and used to poo slinging on forums. It is the nature of the internet and i have a good sense of humor. Others however may take offense. In the future for the sake of site maybe pointing out pros/cons without the less constructive poo would benefit site more.
So true

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Waco wrote:
Glorious wrote:

I really hope that is not the case.

Early reviews seem to indicate that TR is .... mispriced, I guess. Not terrible or anything, but not an awesome value either, even considering that it's HEDT.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Waco wrote:
Glorious wrote:

I really hope that is not the case.

Early reviews seem to indicate that TR is .... mispriced, I guess. Not terrible or anything, but not an awesome value either, even considering that it's HEDT.

That's actually a tough call. Would the increased sales volume which would result from dropping the price by (say) 20% make up for the lost per-unit profit? There's really no way to know for sure.

And as I've already noted elsewhere, the launch MSRP isn't the number we should care about. What will these be selling for 1-2 months from now?

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:03 pm

chew* wrote:

1) I'm assuming Chew* was responsible for getting ThreadRipper for TR by his/her comments. = Thank you.
2) @PooSlinging - it's the internet, where people magically become whiny little pre-teens. By comparison, TechReport is fairly tame as far as these things go. Although not without faults.
3) How do you expect people to react to their favorite review site getting excluded from review samples? However, none of the comments I saw on the front page article were at all concerned as to the back-story of why TR didn't get a TR sample. If I were to guess, there's a certain amount of "free-will-offerings" of review samples AS WELL AS review samples that a website has to promote themselves into getting. I can't speak for TechReport since I have no idea about their internal processes, but I'd hope they're not just sitting on their laurels waiting for companies to send them review samples.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Waco wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:
Proves my point and I love TR's reviews. It would be nice if AMD realized we have folks like Waco and maybe others who make IT decisions who are honestly looking for reasons to pick up a Threadripper.

I know there are many people in places of purchasing power (at various companies and national laboratories) that rely on TR to check out a new architecture before it ends up in the datacenter. AMD's marketing has never really done them any favors, though. They seem to consistently play the short game.

If I was still working at the University, I would have GLADLY chucked the servers I was building out the new VOIP system on for 2S 32c/64t Epycs!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.