Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:56 am

As I type this the reviews haven't gone live, but as they come in feel free to post links.

Edit: Incidentally both the 1950X and 1920X are on-sale at Newegg even though reviews aren't live yet

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

Funny (or maybe ominous) how Newegg has them listed at full retail price but then says "Sale ends in 7 days!"
Last edited by chuckula on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:59 am

What a tease.
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.5Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970 - Samsung SM841 128GB
Laptop - Asus Q500A - Core i5 3210M - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 840 EVO 256GB - AUO 1080P
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 64GB Crucial C300 - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5116
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:02 am

That's not a tease...

Image
TR BBQ XIV is over.
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 am

The Buffalo rides again!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5116
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:15 am

Is that what you think is happening in that picture? ;)

The question is whom the buffalo represents...
TR BBQ XIV is over.
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 am

drfish wrote:
Is that what you think is happening in that picture? ;)

The question is whom the buffalo represents...


You after eating too many ribs and drinking too much beer at the BBQ?
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5116
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 am

Heh, I had a different gerbil in mind when I took the picture... ...but no further hints about what it may mean today. 8)
TR BBQ XIV is over.
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 am

drfish wrote:
Heh, I had a different gerbil in mind when I took the picture... ...but no further hints about what it may mean today. 8)


Oh you mean poor Kampman who probably hasn't slept since Tuesday? I feel for him too!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
turtlepwr281
Gerbil
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 am

What time does the NDA lift?
i5-2500 | Noctua NH-U9S | Asus H77-M LE | Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB | EVGA 960 4 GB | Samsung 840 Pro | Mayflower O2/ODAC | Sennheiser HD598
 
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:47 am

9am EST
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23635
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:50 am

OMG TEN MINUTES
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23635
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:00 am

PCPer: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processor ... 20X-Review

TR "sneak peek" (because Jeff got handicapped by AMD's marketing team): http://techreport.com/news/32377/here-a ... er-results

PC World (warning: auto-playing video): http://www.pcworld.com/article/3214635/ ... r-cpu.html
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:05 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
PCPer: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processor ... 20X-Review

TR "sneak peek" (because Jeff got handicapped by AMD's marketing team): http://techreport.com/news/32377/here-a ... er-results

PC World (warning: auto-playing video): http://www.pcworld.com/article/3214635/ ... r-cpu.html



One interesting thing from the PC Perpsective review is that TR pulls plenty of power when "overclocked" to 4 GHz so the high power consumption issue is clearly not limited to Skylake X.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23635
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:08 am

Well of course not, and it's stupid to think otherwise. Take whatever your typical Ryzen 7 system draws when OC'd on all cores and double it. My particular setup draws around 175W from the wall when OC'd to 3.9GHz running Prime 95, compared to 49W at idle. If my CPU is drawing 125W overclocked, Threadripper should likely draw 250. My PSU is an EVGA G2 650W, which is an 80-Plus Gold model. It's not drawing 125 extra watts, but it's probably drawing 115-120 all on its own.

edit: whoa, X399 boards are expensive. I expected that, but I wasn't quite prepared for exact price parity with Intel-based boards. $340 for the cheapest one in this PCWorld post. Worse yet, it's an ASRock board, and ASRock was pretty shaky out of the gate on AM4 - the X370 boards couldn't overclock at launch, for example. Hope their firmware is better here.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:15 am

I see TomsHardware is trying to use 99th percentile and scatter plots. Cute. Keep working on it.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:17 am

DPete27 wrote:
I see TomsHardware is trying to use 99th percentile and scatter plots. Cute. Keep working on it.


YOU CAN DO IT!!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Well of course not, and it's stupid to think otherwise. Take whatever your typical Ryzen 7 system draws when OC'd on all cores and double it. My particular setup draws around 175W from the wall when OC'd to 3.9GHz running Prime 95, compared to 49W at idle. If my CPU is drawing 125W overclocked, Threadripper should likely draw 250. My PSU is an EVGA G2 650W, which is an 80-Plus Gold model. It's not drawing 125 extra watts, but it's probably drawing 115-120 all on its own.

edit: whoa, X399 boards are expensive. I expected that, but I wasn't quite prepared for exact price parity with Intel-based boards. $340 for the cheapest one in this PCWorld post. Worse yet, it's an ASRock board, and ASRock was pretty shaky out of the gate on AM4 - the X370 boards couldn't overclock at launch, for example. Hope their firmware is better here.


One thing you have to remember is that x299 boards aren't merely expensive because OMG INTEL EVIL OVERPRICING. They're really expensive because they are by definition large complex motherboards that also have limited volumes [meaning negative economies of scale] since HEDT is not a huge market.

Now look at ThreadRipper motherboards:
1. Even Larger socket (like twice as large).
2. More PCIe lanes to wire up.
3. For all the enthusiasm about ThreadRipper, it's going to be some fraction of the already smaller HEDT market in the first place.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5116
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 am

chuckula wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
I see TomsHardware is trying to use 99th percentile and scatter plots. Cute. Keep working on it.


YOU CAN DO IT!!


Reminds me of when I made this gif...
TR BBQ XIV is over.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23635
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 am

chuckula wrote:
One thing you have to remember is that x299 boards aren't merely expensive because OMG INTEL EVIL OVERPRICING. They're really expensive because they are by definition large complex motherboards that also have limited volumes [meaning negative economies of scale] since HEDT is not a huge market.

Now look at ThreadRipper motherboards:
1. Even Larger socket (like twice as large).
2. More PCIe lanes to wire up.
3. For all the enthusiasm about ThreadRipper, it's going to be some fraction of the already smaller HEDT market in the first place.

It probably shouldn't have caught me off-guard because none of those X399 boards are cut-down bare-bones models. Even the ASRock board is their top-end board. Other Threadripper boards will (be forced to) undercut X299 stuff.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:48 am

THG isn't the best for everything but their power-consumption measurements are very detailed:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd ... 67-14.html

Interestly notes are that even in the Prime 95 torture test the 7900X @ 4.5GHz is still drawing somewhat less power than the 1950X overclocked to 3.9 GHz.

There are other numbers in there too but Prime95 is interesting since even with only 10 cores the 7900X is doing a hell of lot more work in that workload compared to the ThreadRipper.

In gaming workloads and workloads that don't nuke all the cores like Autocad the 7900X at stock speeds is actually drawing less power than the 1950X even though those benchmarks aren't railing all the cores.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 48992
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 am

¡uʍop-ǝpᴉsdn ʇǝʞɹɐɯ ┴pƎH ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉuɹn┴ :ɹǝddᴉɹpɐǝɹɥ┴
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
¡uʍop-ǝpᴉsdn ʇǝʞɹɐɯ ┴pƎH ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉuɹn┴ :ɹǝddᴉɹpɐǝɹɥ┴


Well this here's a story all about how my market got flipped turned upside down.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4815
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:56 pm

OK who's here is going to buy or build a Threadripper system? And what are you going to use 16c/32t and 60 PCIe lanes for?
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 48992
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:03 pm

For my current use case it makes no sense. If I start doing some consulting on the side again, it might. Having something that can make quick work of large compilation jobs can be quite the productivity booster.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4815
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
For my current use case it makes no sense. If I start doing some consulting on the side again, it might. Having something that can make quick work of large compilation jobs can be quite the productivity booster.

Yeah I think it's a little strange that AMD is calling this a consumer product when the vast majority of folks can't even make use of this product.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 48992
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
For my current use case it makes no sense. If I start doing some consulting on the side again, it might. Having something that can make quick work of large compilation jobs can be quite the productivity booster.

Yeah I think it's a little strange that AMD is calling this a consumer product when the vast majority of folks can't even make use of this product.

I've always thought of HEDT as straddling the line between consumer and enterprise products. In fact, we have a name for that sort of thing: "prosumer". So basically for people who are self-employed and make money off of their PC in a pro or semi-pro capacity, and people with more money than sense.

Also keep in mind that anyone who can claim their PC as a business expense on their US tax return effectively gets a discount, since they can pay with pre-tax dollars. That would be part of my justification, if I got one to use for software contract work.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4815
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
For my current use case it makes no sense. If I start doing some consulting on the side again, it might. Having something that can make quick work of large compilation jobs can be quite the productivity booster.

Yeah I think it's a little strange that AMD is calling this a consumer product when the vast majority of folks can't even make use of this product.

I've always thought of HEDT as straddling the line between consumer and enterprise products. In fact, we have a name for that sort of thing: "prosumer". So basically for people who are self-employed and make money off of their PC in a pro or semi-pro capacity, and people with more money than sense.

Also keep in mind that anyone who can claim their PC as a business expense on their US tax return effectively gets a discount, since they can pay with pre-tax dollars. That would be part of my justification, if I got one to use for software contract work.

Well if you can use it to make money then go for it.
 
Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Location: London

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
more money than sense.

Not really, but if my i7-960 hadn't gone bang 14 months ago I would've been deciding between Xeon E3-1270 v6, E3-1280 v6, Ryzen 7 1700X, Ryzen 7 1800X, or Ryzen Threadripper 1900X. And chances are that a Ryzen would be chosen.
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX
 
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Posts: 25408
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am
Contact:

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Topinio wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
more money than sense.

Not really, but if my i7-960 hadn't gone bang 14 months ago I would've been deciding between Xeon E3-1270 v6, E3-1280 v6, Ryzen 7 1700X, Ryzen 7 1800X, or Ryzen Threadripper 1900X. And chances are that a Ryzen would be chosen.

But do you have a justification for those? If it is "just because I can" or "I want a bigger e-peen", then you would have been squarely in this category. Otherwise, if there is a logical reason(s) behind your choice, then you are in the "prosumer" group.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23635
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: OMG ThreadRipper Review Roundup

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:50 pm

minor nitpick:
Flying Fox wrote:
But do you have a justification for those? If it is "just because I can" or "I want a bigger e-peen", then you would have been squarely in this category. Otherwise, if there is a logical reason(s) behind your choice, then you are in the "prosumer" group.

The more dollars than sense clan goes in the "sumer" part. The logical reason folks go in the "pro".

:lol:
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest