Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

First Centriq benchmarks (that I've seen)

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 am

https://blog.cloudflare.com/arm-takes-wing/

There are some weird things in the text: complaints about "compiler bias" (why should we cripple Intel? The compiler is basically part of their product at this point) is the most egregious. Anyway, it's 20 cores of Broadwell vs 24 cores of Skylake vs 48 cores of Falkor.

They're testing single-core performance (which heavily favors Intel) and all-core performance (which more often than not favors Qualcomm, due to the sheer number of cores). Whether Falkor is a good choice for you heavily depends on what you're running, it seems.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: First Centriq benchmarks (that I've seen)

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:52 am

If they want to talk about doing web-server type stuff that relies on encryption then they really should be making sure to enable QuickAssist when benching the Skylake servers. QuickAssist handles a large chunk of the encryption so that the CPU cores are free to do other things.

A few non-micro benchmarks would be helpful too. Outside of dedicated static web-cache type servers (see Xeon D for Intel's real solution in that area) I would bet that the majority of Xeons sold on the general purpose market spend most of their time acting as database servers, so seeing how these systems handle a big database would be very helpful.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Re: First Centriq benchmarks (that I've seen)

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am

Well, Cloudfare is going to benchmark the thing to show how it's going to work for Cloudfare. Hopefully independent review sites will get their hands on one of these, too. Seems like the kind of thing Anandtech is known for, or even THG (which I've started to read more recently).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.