Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

NTMBK
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Impact of Meltdown/Spectre patches on IGP performance?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:50 am

I have a friend who plays Minecraft on his Ivy Bridge integrated graphics (HD4000, built into a 3770). He's had perfectly acceptable performance on it until the Meltdown/Spectre patches were applied, at which point it turned into a stuttering mess. He rolled back the patch, and performance went back to acceptable.

Has anyone seen any benchmarks of the impact of the patches on IGPs? Have they been clobbered especially hard by these patches? I wouldn't have expected the minor CPU hit in gaming performance to really make that much of a difference (unless there's something to do with the weird way Minecraft is coded).

SkyWarrior
Gerbil

Re: Impact of Meltdown/Spectre patches on IGP performance?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 am

Looks like time for TR to work on a detailed review of performance impacts... :D
Rare is common where I work...

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Impact of Meltdown/Spectre patches on IGP performance?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:18 am

Man, that sucks.

I can't think of a reason why it would affect IGP more than discrete, other than the fact that IGP is probably running closer to the edge (in terms of having adequate performance) to begin with. The patch just pushes it over the edge.

Hopefully the hit will be lessened as the patch gets refined. I suspect they're taking an "elephant gun" approach out of the gate, so there's probably room for improvement. Software and drivers may also get re-optimized to avoid operations which are severely slowed down by the patch.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.