Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Vulnerabilities Discovered in AMD's Zen and Vega Security Processor, Including Backdoors in the AsMedia Chipset

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYMKsiVWAAA75l1.jpg

I can't even remotely vouch for the provenance here, but it seems in line with everything else we've seen.

WTF is going on here lol

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Vulnerabilities Discovered in AMD's Zen and Vega Security Processor, Including Backdoors in the AsMedia Chipset

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Real talk: What if this is performance art about how we're all busy marketing exploits (with pre-made names and icons now FFS) and not really caring about what they even are anymore?

I kid, I kid (or do I?) :lol: :P

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Looks like it is real.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... uch-worse/

A third party source confirms working proof of concept tools and successful exploitation of all the listed vulnerabilities.

While the fact root is needed is a mitigation, it's not an impossible hurdle (e.g. privilege escalation flaw, social engineering, rogue IT employee), and what makes these vulnerabilities especially dangerous is persistence. Taking off and nuking your OS from orbit will not solve the issue. You will have to throw away hardware to escape the compromise.

For those of you who followed the Spectre and Meltdown thread, you'll remember the discussion turned hardware vulnerabilities being a new battleground for the bad guys. With that in mind I have but one question for you.

Are you not entertained?
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Looks like it is real.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... uch-worse/

A third party source confirms working proof of concept tools and successful exploitation of all the listed vulnerabilities.

While the fact root is needed is a mitigation, it's not an impossible hurdle (e.g. privilege escalation flaw, social engineering, rogue IT employee), and what makes these vulnerabilities especially dangerous is persistence. Taking off and nuking your OS from orbit will not solve the issue. You will have to throw away hardware to escape the compromise.

For those of you who followed the Spectre and Meltdown thread, you'll remember the discussion turned hardware vulnerabilities being a new battleground for the bad guys. With that in mind I have but one question for you.

Are you not entertained?

Interesting, but Ars is showing its technical bias too:
Still, Kanter agreed with Guido that the vulnerabilities were a major embarrassment for AMD, particularly because most of them reside in the Platform Secure Processor, which is AMD's version of the secure enclave in the iPhone.

Lol. Not quite Ars. This is a little outside their OMG APPLE wheelhouse.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

freebird
Gerbil

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 pm

I know ZEN has one, but I didn't realize that Vega has a Security Processor in it... when did that happen?

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Vulnerabilities Discovered in AMD's Zen Security Processor, Including Backdoors in the AsMedia Chipset

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 am

Bauxite wrote:
Also, if I can trick you to run something as administrator or root on any system, its already game over and who gives a damn.

This is still problematic. There are always arbitrary-code and privilege-escalation vulnerabilities.

Most importantly, this vulnerability allows an attacker to install code that survives a full disk wipe. As no one has a way to clean or even scan the Security Processor, this could lead to remarkably persistent malware. Imagine if the only way to eliminate the infection is to destroy the hardware---that's insane, and that's why this vulnerability is so stupid.

Really, it is a serious problem any time you can circumvent the code validation process. No one bothers with code signing and validation unless it matters.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Technically, You don't have to throw away the hardware. You have to flash the firmware to a clean slate, but manufacturer/vendors for the hardware in question only have the tools for that. Even if you have proper tools, Unless you are a hardware engineer than it is more trouble than it is worth.

RMA departments throughout the industry are going to have a massive field day for the next couple of years.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Krogoth wrote:
RMA departments throughout the industry are going to have a massive field day for the next couple of years.

You are assuming it's true and exploitable.

Even if it is, surely AMD/Intel/whomever would supply a way to reflash the affected parts.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Waco wrote:
Even if it is, surely AMD/Intel/whomever would supply a way to reflash the affected parts.

It may only be flashable via a hard-wired JTAG port or somesuch. If so, most end users aren't going to be willing/able to do that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Waco wrote:

It may only be flashable via a hard-wired JTAG port or somesuch. If so, most end users aren't going to be willing/able to do that.

If you can infect it via flashing surely there's a way to clean it up via flashing. At least, it makes sense in my head - just have to exploit the exploit. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Waco wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Waco wrote:

If you can infect it via flashing surely there's a way to clean it up via flashing. At least, it makes sense in my head - just have to exploit the exploit. :)

That would depend on whether flashing requires support from the existing firmware. If so, the malware could disable the ability to re-flash.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Waco wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Waco wrote:

Past exploits of this nature tend to prevent that. The malicious code flashes itself into the firmware and proceeds to close the vulnerability to prevent a new flash from removing the malicious code.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08 ... -firmware/

ArsTechnica wrote:
The danger of firmware-level malware is that most virus scanners and other anti-malware products focus on RAM and files stored on the desk. It's difficult to detect in the first place, and it's difficult to track it back to its source. It's also tough to remove. "You can't use Thunderstrike to remove Thunderstrike" because the infected firmware patches the security hole in the original firmware.

Edit:
I had forgotten that it was revealed that the CIA built malware that leveraged Thunderstrike. Who knew that persistent malware would be of interest to an Advanced Persistent Threat (APT)? /s
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
That would depend on whether flashing requires support from the existing firmware. If so, the malware could disable the ability to re-flash.

Seems like an easy test to see if you're infected, then. :)

Further, that means CTS would have figured out how to fix this, which means AMD can do the same going forward. Just another reason this smells funny, since AMD could clearly have fixed this via patches prior to them announcing the issue.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12536/our-interesting-call-with-cts-labs

Interesting, if aggravating read. I call BS on their statement (referenced by Ian Cuttress in the article) that they don't provide details to companies that aren't the manufacturer. They provided enough detail to Viceroy for Viceroy to shout about their apparent short-selling position.

This gives me hope that they're going to play by the well-established rules of which they were apparently not at all aware. I call BS on this answer, too. They have to have known.

IC: The standard procedure for vulnerability disclosure is to have a CVE filing and a Mitre numbers. We have seen in the public disclosures, even 0-day and 1-day public disclosures, have relevant CVE IDs. Can you describe why you haven’t in this case?

ILO: We have submitted everything we have to US Cert and we are still waiting to hear back from them.

IC: Can you elaborate as to why you did not wait for those numbers to come through before going live?

ILO: It’s our first time around. We haven’t – I guess we should have – this really is our first rodeo.

The bolded part of this section is the money quote, though:

YLZ: I think there are pros and cons to both methods. I don’t think that it is a simple question. I think that the advantage of the 30 to 90 days of course is that it provides an opportunity for the vendor to consider the problem, comment on the problem, and provide potential mitigations against it. This is not lost on us.

On the other hand, I think that it also gives the vendors a lot of control on how it wants to address these vulnerabilities and they can first deal with the problem then come out with their own PR about the problem, I’m speaking generally and not about AMD in particular here, and in general they attempt to minimize the significance. If the problem is indicative of a widespread issue, as is the case with the AMD processors, then the company will company probably would want to minimize it and to play it down.

Clearly they had their own agenda they wanted to push and intentionally blindsided AMD in order to do it.

DK: I think the biggest question that I still have is that ultimately who originated this request for analysis – who was the customer that kicked this all off?

ILO: I definitely am not going to comment on our customers.

DK: What about the flavor of customer: is it a semiconductor company, is it someone in the industry, or is it someone outside the industry? I don’t expect you to disclose the name but the genre seems quite reasonable.

ILO: Guys I’m sorry we’re really going to need to jump off this call but feel free to follow up with any more questions.

:lol:

I mean, they shouldn't comment on their customers if they want more of them, but at that point they'd definitely had enough.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Waco wrote:
Just another reason this smells funny, since AMD could clearly have fixed this via patches prior to them announcing the issue.

That was never in question, but that also misunderstands the wild west of security disclosure that exists today. Not giving time to fix the issue isn't as uncommon as you might imagine. It is also common for disclosure issues giving a limited time to fix the issue. Google and Microsoft have been involved in multiple spats where Microsoft needed more time and Google disclosed the vulnerability any ways despite the request. This latter one can feel just as exploitative as giving no notice at all. "Fix it within X days... or else."

There are no rules of disclosure and the opinions on it vary wildly. I personally believe disclosure shouldn't happen unless the company refuses to respond. I also personally believe that disclosure shouldn't happen on fixed arbitrary timelines, especially when the party is still contact with you and asking for more time. Like I said though, there are no rules, so this is just like... my opinion man.

TLDR: Being upset at the disclosure is a separate discussion from the dangers of the vulnerability.

Edit:
Examples of disclosure problems in the past:
https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2004/10/4288-2/
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... his-month/

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:14 pm

If the reason for all this is that CTS wanted to "control the narrative", then I'd say they failed at that also.

Instead of AMD having a chance to write their own release everyone else who's been covering this has done all of that for them. In being so focused on what the agenda of CTS may be many of them have gone much farther in downplaying the significance of the threat than AMD probably ever would have on their own.
Last edited by Redocbew on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:15 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
YLZ: I think there are pros and cons to both methods. I don’t think that it is a simple question. I think that the advantage of the 30 to 90 days of course is that it provides an opportunity for the vendor to consider the problem, comment on the problem, and provide potential mitigations against it. This is not lost on us.

On the other hand, I think that it also gives the vendors a lot of control on how it wants to address these vulnerabilities and they can first deal with the problem then come out with their own PR about the problem, I’m speaking generally and not about AMD in particular here, and in general they attempt to minimize the significance. If the problem is indicative of a widespread issue, as is the case with the AMD processors, then the company will company probably would want to minimize it and to play it down.

Clearly they had their own agenda they wanted to push and intentionally blindsided AMD in order to do it.

You mean the same AMD that was roundly criticized on this forum and elsewhere for the fact they disingenuously downplayed their vulnerability to Spectre? The same company that destroyed the private disclosure window with their high-horse patch submission for Meltdown?

I made my opinion on the way disclosure should work in the previous post. I don't agree with disclosure without contact. Their reasoning on this point is true, given that we've seen such behavior just in the last few weeks.

Redocbew wrote:
If the reason for all this is that CTS wanted to "control the narrative", then I'd say they failed at that also.

Instead of AMD having a chance to write their own release everyone else who's been covering this has done all of that for them. In being so focused on what the agenda of CTS may be many of them have gone much farther in downplaying the significance of the threat than AMD probably ever would have on their own.

Yeah, they screwed themselves to some extent.

Edit:
Added a point I missed.
Fixed a sentence that totally screwed up my intended message.

Demetri
Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:58 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/84xi7a/cts_labs_cofounder_viceroy_is_not_a_client_of_cts/dvt8rtu/

Now CTS is claiming they have no connection with Viceroy. So then how did they get their hands on the documents so far in advance? They had already booked a spot on CNBC before CTS released the findings. Guy makes a good point that there is most likely a much larger financial entity orchestrating this.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Not giving time to fix the issue isn't as uncommon as you might imagine.

It shouldn't be so common, though. There's no benefit to releasing early unless a company is totally unresponsive (or you have ulterior motives, which it seems CTS does).

Releasing vulnerabilities like this wastes so many man-hours it's not even something I care to half-ass calculate. Rushed patches, rushed mitigations, wasted time...etc.

The more I read about this and the amateurish way it was released...it feels more and more like a sponsored hit piece. Tin foil hat enabled.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
You mean the same AMD that was roundly criticized on this forum and elsewhere for the fact they disingenuously downplayed their vulnerability to Spectre?

No, it's more than just that. Everyone downplays exploits.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-r ... -findings/

In that statement I see:

* everyone's vulnerable, not just us
* we have the most secure products around
* this totally won't tank your performance (whereas we know better how it impacts storage in particular)
* the implication that performance will improve over time where now we know it's going to take new silicon

We don't know how AMD would have addressed this. They may have laughed it off if given the chance. I would prefer that I had the opportunity to roast the manufacturer (AMD) being at fault for negligence than the people who found it alerting the world. Because now it's a race.

The same company that destroyed the private disclosure window with their high-horse patch submission for Meltdown?

Oh, please. I hate to drag across topics, but you started it. Here's what was said - that AMD CPUs don't do speculative execution across permission levels.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2

But they'd been talking about this stuff out in the open for weeks
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/4/709

They weren't just rewriting this stuff on a whim. Anybody that's put any thought into this knows that.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Oh, please. I hate to drag across topics, but you started it. Here's what was said - that AMD CPUs don't do speculative execution across permission levels.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2

But they'd been talking about this stuff out in the open for weeks
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/4/709

They weren't just rewriting this stuff on a whim. Anybody that's put any thought into this knows that.

Like it, don't like it. Doesn't really matter to me, but my opinion isn't even a unique one.

Link

Peter Bright wrote:
AMD's behavior before this all went public was also rather suspect. AMD, like the other important companies in this field, was contacted privately by the researchers, and the intent was to keep all the details private until a coordinated release next week, in a bid to maximize the deployment of patches before revealing the problems. Generally that private contact is made on the condition that any embargo or non-disclosure agreement is honored.

It's true that AMD didn't actually reveal the details of the flaw before the embargo was up, but one of the company's developers came very close. Just after Christmas, an AMD developer contributed a Linux patch that excluded AMD chips from the Meltdown mitigation. In the note with that patch, the developer wrote, "The AMD microarchitecture does not allow memory references, including speculative references, that access higher privileged data when running in a lesser privileged mode when that access would result in a page fault."

It was this specific information—that the flaw involved speculative attempts to access kernel data from user programs—that arguably led to researchers figuring out what the problem was. The message narrowed the search considerably, outlining the precise conditions required to trigger the flaw.

For a company operating under an embargo, with many different players attempting to synchronize and coordinate their updates, patches, whitepapers, and other information, this was a deeply unhelpful act. While there are certainly those in the security community that oppose this kind of information embargo and prefer to reveal any and all information at the earliest opportunity, given the rest of the industry's approach to these flaws, AMD's action seems, at the least, reckless.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 pm

umm...yay?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:03 am

Lulz.

Good conversation.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

moriz
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:12 pm

DancinJack wrote:
https://community.amd.com/community/amd-corporate/blog/2018/03/20/initial-amd-technical-assessment-of-cts-labs-research

"We believe AMD cannot ever fix these issues, so we chose not to give them any time before revealing these vulnerabilities." - CTS Labs

"AMD stock is worth $0 because they cannot ever fix these vulnerabilities." - Viceroy Research

"Fixed." - AMD, one week later.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:28 pm

moriz wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
https://community.amd.com/community/amd-corporate/blog/2018/03/20/initial-amd-technical-assessment-of-cts-labs-research

"We believe AMD cannot ever fix these issues, so we chose not to give them any time before revealing these vulnerabilities." - CTS Labs

"AMD stock is worth $0 because they cannot ever fix these vulnerabilities." - Viceroy Research

Heh, CTS and Viceroy - the "experts" of dubious origin, dubious funding, dubious merit, dubious ethics, dubious morals, and now dubious expertise.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 pm

moriz wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Well, to be fair, it is more of a "we believe we have a viable plan for how to fix this". But that's still a far cry from "these cannot be fixed, ever".

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:23 pm

A wild exaggeration on the Internet? Truly, sirs, I am shocked that such a thing could occur!

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:25 am

Meh. It's in the AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP) so at any time, AMD (or Intel with their ME) could release firmware to even completely disable it with no performance impact whatsoever.

Doing such a thing would of course make the US government quite cross. Backdoors are supposed to be for them, not for peons to use.