Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Apple Dumps Intel: CONFIRMED!

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 pm

THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY IN THE HISTORY OF THE RDF!

For years Macs have been crippled by non-RDF enabled Intel processors.

Well NO MORE! Prepare to unleash Geekbench!

APPLE IS DUMPING INTEL: CONFIRMED EDITION!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Apple Dumps Intel: CONFIRMED!

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm

chuckula wrote:

Anandtech.com beat you to this. Anyway I'm sure Apple will have a great deal of work on their hands as ARM CPUs are nowhere as powerful as x86 chips are.

chuckula
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:04 pm

whm1974 wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Anandtech.com beat you to this. Anyway I'm sure Apple will have a great deal of work on their hands as ARM CPUs are nowhere as powerful as x86 chips are.

Bloomberg beat Anand to it.
And the guy who leaked the rumor beat both of them to it.

AND WHO DO YOU THINK THAT GUY WAS??!?!?!

YOU'RE WELCOME.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

windwalker
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 pm

I just saw the news and came straight here to enjoy the chuckula salt. They say salt aerosols are good for the health.

cpucrust
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:11 pm

It helps with upchucking

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:12 pm

When Phil/Jhonny/Thim get on stage and say they're using ARM CPUs, I'll believe it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

End User

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm

whm1974 wrote:
ARM CPUs are nowhere as powerful as x86 chips are.

You have to have your head in the sand to think that Apple does not have some kick ass ARM CPUs running around inside their labs - easily the match of anything in the iMac Pro.

This is going to be PPC to Intel all over again but way, way better. AltiVec is coming back!!!!!!!! :P

chuckula
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

windwalker wrote:
I just saw the news and came straight here to enjoy the chuckula salt. They say salt aerosols are good for the health.

You're actually dumb enough to think that this is going to be good for Macs in the long run?

That's pretty funny.

Here's a hint: Let's assume that Apples 2020 miracle on ice ARM chip is say... 50% faster than Tiger Lake or whatever Intel is shipping then.

Guess what: Apple just failed.
That's right, beating Intel by a margin that AMD can only dream about is a failure.

Because it doesn't matter if Apple's chips are that much faster than Intel. Losing the ability to easily run regular Windows natively on Mac hardware means that Apple failed.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm

To be fair guys, Anand works at Apple. Applandception eh.

There have been so many reports of this crap over the years it's just another meh story. Until Tim and Jony and Phil get up there and talk about an all new design enabled by Apple's amazing engineering and design teams that make the Macbook line the ultimate magic machine, this is just meh.

Having said that, I don't doubt that they're working on it. I do suspect though that the move to x86/-64 from PPC isn't/wasn't quite the same task that x86/-64 to ARM will be. They're gonna have to figure out a decent solution to emulation too, as we know app devs won't exactly be on top of this from the get-go.
Last edited by DancinJack on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

defaultluser
Gerbil

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Anyone with half a brain could see this coming several years ago. It was just a question of when Apple would official cut the cord.

The big question I have is this: if Apple is making 100% their own ARM SoC (GPU included), what purpose does AMD serve in their (now ARM) future product lineup? I'm pretty sure Apple can destroy AMD's perf/watt, and scale up to RX 560 performance levels without issue.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:18 pm

End User wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
ARM CPUs are nowhere as powerful as x86 chips are.

You have to have your head in the sand to think that Apple does not have some kick ass ARM CPUs running around inside their labs - easily the match of anything in the iMac Pro.

This is going to be PPC to Intel all over again but way, way better. AltiVec is coming back!!!!!!!! :P

Yawn. Neither Intel or AMD will be standing still after hearing this. And ARM still needs some catching up to do on the performance front.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:19 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Having said that, I don't doubt that they're working on i

Yeah, I can fully believe that they've been porting MacOS to arm for years and years internally too.

It's like you said, until they get up there and publicly announce this, what exactly does this "leak" really tell us?

chuckula
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:20 pm

The Mothership, April 1, 2021:

Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Silicon Purification Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a chip lineup of pure ideology—where each fanboy may bloom, secure from the pests purveying contradictory microarchitectures. Our Unification of ISAs is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause. Our enemies shall fab themselves to death, and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!

End User

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:23 pm

chuckula wrote:
Losing the ability to easily run regular Windows natively on Mac hardware means that Apple failed.

10 years ago maybe. Times have changed.

That being said by the time 2020 rolls around I'll probably be able to run Windows 10 for ARM x64 in a VM on my ARM based Mac.

End User

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:25 pm

whm1974 wrote:
And ARM still needs some catching up to do on the performance front.

Does it? Nobody knows what Apple has up its sleeve. They could have the greatest thing since sliced bread waiting in the wings.

chuckula
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:27 pm

End User wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
And ARM still needs some catching up to do on the performance front.

Does it? Nobody knows what Apple has up its sleeve. They could have the greatest thing since sliced bread waiting in the wings.

Yeah.

Or it could be the equivalent of dropping the headphone jack from the iPhone.

People tend to forget that even though Apple has done a piss-poor job of updating the Mac lineup, even the Macs that are running pretty outdated Intel x86 parts have seen substantially better growth than Apple's free-fall iPad line. And the iPads are all using Apple miracle-chips.

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:38 pm

I wouldn't mind a shift to ARM style processors. x86 is pretty locked down with patents and such on the hardware side and windows/directX monopolizing the software side. ARM is a lot more open which is something I can easily get behind.

End User

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:41 pm

chuckula wrote:
Or it could be the equivalent of dropping the headphone jack from the iPhone.

Wireless audio on phones is amazing. Such a sense of freedom.

chuckula wrote:
People tend to forget that event though Apple has done a piss-poor job of updating the Mac lineup, even the Macs that are running pretty outdated Intel x86 parts

Both the MacBook Pro and iMac lineups feature 7th gen Intel CPUs. Apple always lags a bit behind when it comes adding new CPUs into their products. The iMac Pro has a current gen Xeon CPU lineup I believe. The exception is the Mac mini and possibly the MacBook Air.

chuckula wrote:
Apple's free-fall iPad line.

Sales numbers have stabilized and appear to be going up. Sales of 13.7 million in the most recent quarter is nothing to sneeze at.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:41 pm

odizzido wrote:
I wouldn't mind a shift to ARM style processors. x86 is pretty locked down with patents and such on the hardware side and windows/directX monopolizing the software side. ARM is a lot more open which is something I can easily get behind.

It's Apple. In practice they'll lock the things down as tight as they think they can get away with.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:48 pm

bthylafh wrote:
odizzido wrote:

It's Apple. In practice they'll lock the things down as tight as they think they can get away with.

This+.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:51 pm

End User wrote:

Those who would give up essential fidelity to gain temporary freedom deserve neither fidelity nor freedom.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

chuckula
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:23 pm

End User wrote:
chuckula wrote:
Losing the ability to easily run regular Windows natively on Mac hardware means that Apple failed.

That being said by the time 2020 rolls around I'll probably be able to run Windows 10 for ARM x64 in a VM on my ARM based Mac.

Says the guy who just called Windows running on a high-performance ARM chip "a dumpster fire".

It's not that I think you're wrong... it's that you clearly are either flat out lying in this thread or were lying in the other thread (or both).

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:38 pm

chuckula wrote:
End User wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Says the guy who just called Windows running on a high-performance ARM chip "a dumpster fire".

It's not that I think you're wrong... it's that you clearly are either flat out lying in this thread or were lying in the other thread (or both).

I'm taking a wait and see approach myself with high performing ARM CPUs.

Techgoudy
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:42 pm

chuckula wrote:
End User wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Hey he did say probably! :lol:

All that said, if this is true, it doesn't surprise me. I don't know what to think of it yet, whether it's a bad idea or a good idea. I would think the safer bet in all of this would be to make a "new" product line for this to test the waters.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:05 pm

chuckula wrote:
End User wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Secret option C: Qualcomm's supposed "performance" chips are hot garbage.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I was reflecting the other day about how I missed the old days of arguing whether x86 was better than PPC. If Apple does switch, that'll make things interesting again.

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:

Those who would give up essential fidelity to gain temporary freedom deserve neither fidelity nor freedom.

What they /do/ get is more non-ionizing radiation.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:38 pm

chuckula wrote:

To be fair, Microsoft's method to building Windows on ARM appears to be the King of Swamp Castle approach. If we count Windows Phone as one attempt and Windows RT as another, then the current attempt which he termed a "smoldering dumpster fire" is, in fact, the one that will burn down, fall over, and then sink into the swamp. But the fourth one will stay up. And that's what you're going to get in 2020, son -- the strongest Windows ARM in all of mobile land.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:49 pm

As long as final cut works as well as current editions, this would be a net positive for Apple.

End User

Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:20 pm

chuckula wrote:
End User wrote:
chuckula wrote:

I don’t have a problem with ARM. I’ve long said ARM is as powerful as Intel at the low end. My iPad Pro 12.9” is an absolute beast. I’ve also long believed that Apple will eventually switch to ARM across the board. Apple’s strategy so far regarding ARM has been spot on. A quick transition to ARM from Intel is something that will happen within one year of product releases.

Windows 10 on ARM is a dumpster fire. Microsoft has to sort this piece of **** out fast. If they stick with it then I should be able to run it under a VM (provided an ARM based VM solution emerges) on an Apple device. I personally think that Microsoft should stick only with Windows 10 on x64. Windows 10 on ARM should be thrown out and quickly forgotten.

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:58 pm

End User wrote:
chuckula wrote:
People tend to forget that event though Apple has done a piss-poor job of updating the Mac lineup, even the Macs that are running pretty outdated Intel x86 parts

Both the MacBook Pro and iMac lineups feature 7th gen Intel CPUs. Apple always lags a bit behind when it comes adding new CPUs into their products. The iMac Pro has a current gen Xeon CPU lineup I believe. The exception is the Mac mini and possibly the MacBook Air.

The Mac Pro and its Ivy Bridge processor released in 2013 says 'hi'. By my math, that is 5 years Apple hasn't touched that system. Even then, the 2013 Mac Pro was a lateral upgrade from the 2010 model as socket count went down, total core count was the same, memory capacity went down, and GPUs were no longer upgradable. It was only remarkably faster if your software could leverage AVX vs. the 2010 model. On the GPU side of things, the upgradable 2010 Mac Pro wins hands down once a newer card is installed.

Some people have been waiting 8 long years for a worthy replacement to call a Mac Pro.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4