Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Intel's 28-core HEDT part was overclocked - CONFIRMED

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:54 pm

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12932/in ... onstration

If these conversations happened as Anandtech suggests in this writeup, then Anandtech was pretty ballsy.

The Intel representative did confirm the CPU was overclocked. We were told that on stage the presenter was actually meant to clarify that the system was overclocked, however the specific wording was not stated as it had been prepared.

Intel confirmed that a water chiller was used, which we saw in our system demo examination the day after the presentation. We were told that it was not intended to showcase the cooling on the stage due to time constraints, to which we responded that Intel’s implementation of pre-overclocked systems in the past are typically accompainied a discussion on the pre-overclocked nature and the cooling used in the past, yet this presentation did not have this.

and it's a 14nm part:
The only item that Intel would confirm here is that the 28-core processor is built on one of its 14nm nodes. For anyone thinking it was a 10nm node, this confirms that it was not, however it does not say much more; Intel is purposefully keeping its cards close to its chest on this one. The smart money seems to be that the chip is likely to at least be based on the Skylake-X processors, like the 28-core Xeon Platinum 8176 or Xeon Platinum 8180, rather than the future Cascade Lake platform, however Intel has also promised that the consumer version of Cascade Lake-X will be coming by the end of the year.

Purposefully not making a lot of commentary here. Anandtech's pointed questions basically stand on their own.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Intel's 28-core HEDT part was overclocked - CONFIRMED

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 pm

You can't use that word! That's OUR word!

Having said that... maybe a few people didn't think the chip was overclocked but nobody ever thought it was 10nm so it's great Anand dispelled rumors that didn't exist in the first place. #TheyNeverConfirmedItWasn'tReallyThreadripperInDisguise
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 pm

To Intel's credit, they didn't say "this is stock".

To their detriment, they were not transparent.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Didn't gave a crap before, during and after.

Already sick of how everything is now made to be pandering for attention.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

setaG_lliB
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:29 pm

cegras
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 pm

chuckula wrote:
You can't use that word! That's OUR word!

Having said that... maybe a few people didn't think the chip was overclocked but nobody ever thought it was 10nm so it's great Anand dispelled rumors that didn't exist in the first place. #TheyNeverConfirmedItWasn'tReallyThreadripperInDisguise

Maybe some people were so happy to see intel come out with an amd slayer that they suspended their belief in physics.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 pm

cegras wrote:
Maybe some people were so happy to see intel come out with an amd slayer that they suspended their belief in physics.

Why does Intel need an "AMD Slayer"

Last time I checked AMD needs to double its core count to try to overtake Intel's 2017 model that beats it in Blender in both performance and power efficiency. Oh, and remember that Cinebench and Blender are just about the only demos that AMD is capable of showing off when it has 100% control of the presentation. Well, at least before a few days ago it was Cinebench and Blender... guess we can cross Cinebench off the list. Just imagine what happens when a workload other than the one that AMD has based its entire marketing campaign around gets tested when it can't even win at Blender.

Maybe it's AMD that needs a lesson in breaking the laws of physics.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

cegras
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:30 am

Let me correct myself then, something some people don't seem capable of doing: maybe some people were so ecstatic to see a 28-core 5 GHz part they suspended their belief in physics ... after getting clean underwear.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:34 am

I honestly don't understand why anyone thought differently.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.