Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

XTU: Undervolting an Intel CPU on a Macbook Pro running on Windows

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi guys!

I currently use a 2013 Macbook Pro that still runs like a champ, and I'm running Windows 10 on it mainly (I prefer Windows, but I'm also using macOS with Boot Camp, I am aware of the weird setup). I would like to figure out a way of cooling it down with a respectable noise level and I'm trying multiple approaches. Right now the CPU itself as it heats up way too fast, and I have to use MacsFanControl to cool it down appropriately. However fans end up spinning up way too fast more often than not as the CPU usually heats up to ~65C at idle. Also I've made sure that the CPU is not botched up, as MacOS runs super cool (as it was intended).

I've already replaced the thermal paste and cleaned up internally for any dust and other debris (if any). I also use a DisplayLink dock at home, which has some CPU consumption and I assume that it could also have an impact on the overall heat and noise.

I've recently figured out that a way to control the heat is to undervolt the CPU while still retaining a good performance for office stuff. I'm using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) to set up my processor at a comfy 1.8GHz and now it runs like a champ! I'm ok manually changing the profiles if I really need the power consumption of the CPU. I'm facing a problem with this utility where the undervolt profile does not apply at startup (due to obvious reasons with overclocking profiles). Is there any way to make this profile to stay permanently with XTU?

Just FYI, I've seen online that there are PowerShell scripts that can be run to do this automatically, I do not intend to disable script signing so that is a nono. :)

Any help is appreciated! :)

Edit: macOS
Last edited by qmacpoint on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: XTU: Undervolting an Intel CPU on a Macbook Pro running on Windows

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Nevermind - I figured that when the settings are stable in XTU, it will keep them after reboots :)

End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:40 am

macOS

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:57 am

End User wrote:
macOS

done, oh thanks for that contribution... lol

Something I've noticed with XTU is that if I disable the Turbo Boost Short Power feature, I cannot get it back until I do a full system power down - which means that I lose the short bursts to 3.0GHz+ that the CPU would typically do if I'm lowering the CPU settings. For the time being I have limited the clock speeds to 1.8GHz and lowered the voltage offset by -0.07A while I do office stuff and watch YouTube videos... but would like to know if I hit a bug on MY laptop, or has that always been the case with XTU?