Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

 
qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Hey guys,

I've been fiddling again with XTU on a new laptop (Macbook + Windows, I never learn) and tried to disable Turbo Boost, which is one of the few options my processor supports with XTU (Intel Core i7 7820HQ). I've had experiences before where disabling Turbo Boost will lock the computer to it's stock speed even after reverting back the setting, so this time around I reduced the core multiplier to x14 (just to fiddle with the settings). Now I have reverted back the settings, but the processor is still locked at it's maximum stock speed (2.9 GHz) and doesn't go beyond that. Tried enabling/disabling any option I have available, but no dice.

Any hints that could help me revert this?

Thanks!
 
qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Just an update - I've noticed that my CPU does Turbo Boost on macOS, but it refuses to do so on Windows... not that I'm trying to overclock/undervolt at the moment, just want to restore the CPU to its default behavior... any hints?
 
olegtf
Gerbil
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:55 am

qmacpoint wrote:
Just an update - I've noticed that my CPU does Turbo Boost on macOS, but it refuses to do so on Windows... not that I'm trying to overclock/undervolt at the moment, just want to restore the CPU to its default behavior... any hints?

... how ever dumb it sounds - did you try to go in Power management settings and change power plan and or setting to and from Max Turbo? i am guessing BIOS is O'k since iOS still controlling op. freq.
 
MOSFET
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:42 am

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:57 pm

What are you using to monitor frequency on Windows? XTU itself I presume? Task Manager is not reliable for freq. I like HWMonitor, Kampman likes HwInfo64.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.
 
qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:33 am

hey guys, yes - I've set up the power profile to high performance / better performance and still the processor just hits the 2.89GHz mark. I've been using HWmonitor and HWinfo64 to check the clock speeds. I've removed XTU (after reverting everything to normal) as I no longer trust it - on macOS I've been using the Intel Power Gadget to check the clock speeds as well

I checked Cinebench R15 and I have a score of 730 with macOS and 630 with Windows - and before any arguments, macOS goes up to 3.4~3.5GHz, but Windows doesn't...

Edit: Also something I've noticed while looking at the stats on HWinfo64 is that the SST Feature is in red (Speed Shift Technology (HWP)). Not sure if this has something to do with this issue, but reading online sure it does make it sound like...
 
olegtf
Gerbil
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:03 pm

qmacpoint wrote:
hey guys, yes - I've set up the power profile to high performance / better performance and still the processor just hits the 2.89GHz mark. I've been using HWmonitor and HWinfo64 to check the clock speeds. I've removed XTU (after reverting everything to normal) as I no longer trust it - on macOS I've been using the Intel Power Gadget to check the clock speeds as well

I checked Cinebench R15 and I have a score of 730 with macOS and 630 with Windows - and before any arguments, macOS goes up to 3.4~3.5GHz, but Windows doesn't...

Edit: Also something I've noticed while looking at the stats on HWinfo64 is that the SST Feature is in red (Speed Shift Technology (HWP)). Not sure if this has something to do with this issue, but reading online sure it does make it sound like...


... I would go in BIOS and double check window's ability to overwrite your settings and keep processor at this state. iOS ( in my observation) is not known for monkeying around with settings at that level. In fact I don't really consider its a problem, but my processor permanently stuck in 3.691 GHz state :-D
 
qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:10 pm

olegtf wrote:
... I would go in BIOS and double check window's ability to overwrite your settings and keep processor at this state. iOS ( in my observation) is not known for monkeying around with settings at that level. In fact I don't really consider its a problem, but my processor permanently stuck in 3.691 GHz state :-D

I would love to, but MacBooks and their crappy EFI implementations do not let me get into any form of 'BIOS' type of menu :(
 
DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm

This is a long shot, but search to figure out how to disable HPET in Windows and BIOS.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
olegtf
Gerbil
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:49 pm

qmacpoint wrote:
olegtf wrote:
... I would go in BIOS and double check window's ability to overwrite your settings and keep processor at this state. iOS ( in my observation) is not known for monkeying around with settings at that level. In fact I don't really consider its a problem, but my processor permanently stuck in 3.691 GHz state :-D

I would love to, but MacBooks and their crappy EFI implementations do not let me get into any form of 'BIOS' type of menu :(

well... lets try another entrance... Can you boot live Linux CD (doesn't really matter which one) ? https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops ... 73#M987904
may be this will help you get into settings, I used that post to "clean up" dells before sales.
 
qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:05 am

olegtf wrote:
well... lets try another entrance... Can you boot live Linux CD (doesn't really matter which one) ? https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops ... 73#M987904
may be this will help you get into settings, I used that post to "clean up" dells before sales.

this is an interesting approach... the efivars are accessible through the nvram command in macOS, and while they are cleared up when you erase the NVRAM/PRAM from a MacBook, this is not quite working as I already cleaned them before - I should be thinking of adding the right efivars to enable HWP or SST (Think they should be named HWP). I will check up on this whenever I have the chance to. It is very disappointing that XTU would reset something this important and not re-enable it...
 
olegtf
Gerbil
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:13 am

qmacpoint wrote:
olegtf wrote:
well... lets try another entrance... Can you boot live Linux CD (doesn't really matter which one) ? https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops ... 73#M987904
may be this will help you get into settings, I used that post to "clean up" dells before sales.

this is an interesting approach... the efivars are accessible through the nvram command in macOS, and while they are cleared up when you erase the NVRAM/PRAM from a MacBook, this is not quite working as I already cleaned them before - I should be thinking of adding the right efivars to enable HWP or SST (Think they should be named HWP). I will check up on this whenever I have the chance to. It is very disappointing that XTU would reset something this important and not re-enable it...

... another obvious, dumb question, are you running so called "legacy mode" or...? which may or may not prevent windows from screwing around with BIOS settings. long time ago I had few BIOS "blanks" and editor which allowed me to monkey around with settings and update BIOS with what ever mess I created in the process. Not sure if it will help, but who knows, it may give you some ideas.
 
qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:32 am

olegtf wrote:
... another obvious, dumb question, are you running so called "legacy mode" or...? which may or may not prevent windows from screwing around with BIOS settings. long time ago I had few BIOS "blanks" and editor which allowed me to monkey around with settings and update BIOS with what ever mess I created in the process. Not sure if it will help, but who knows, it may give you some ideas.

it's a valid question! However I did make sure that I'm using UEFI rather than Legacy/BIOS
 
olegtf
Gerbil
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:01 am

qmacpoint wrote:
olegtf wrote:
... another obvious, dumb question, are you running so called "legacy mode" or...? which may or may not prevent windows from screwing around with BIOS settings. long time ago I had few BIOS "blanks" and editor which allowed me to monkey around with settings and update BIOS with what ever mess I created in the process. Not sure if it will help, but who knows, it may give you some ideas.

it's a valid question! However I did make sure that I'm using UEFI rather than Legacy/BIOS

... I kill UEFI in the bud, before it can make any damage. Had better luck with that option.
 
qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Processor not Turbo Boosting after XTU

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 am

olegtf wrote:
... I kill UEFI in the bud, before it can make any damage. Had better luck with that option.

I disagree - UEFI is what we should be using as BIOS does not have the features that UEFI can bring nowadays - mind you I am on this conundrum because this Apple UEFI interface (or the lack of it) makes things insane. With that being said, I started looking online and found out interesting articles around this:


For the meanwhile, I will set up ThrottleStop to enable Speed Shift. While this has been a great learning experience, I still need to figure if there is an UEFI variable that will allow me to retain the HWP state throughout restarts under Windows.

Hope this is a lesson for people out there to avoid using XTU on their MacBooks, or just XTU as a whole - because it does not restore the things it's supposed to, and now I have to resort to a hack to get the power my processor was supposed to deliver from the start. :(

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest