Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

7 more speculative execution attacks

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:22 am

A research team—including many of the original researchers behind Meltdown, Spectre, and the related Foreshadow and BranchScope attacks—has published a new paper disclosing yet more attacks in the Spectre and Meltdown families. The result? Seven new possible attacks. Some are mitigated by known mitigation techniques, but others are not. That means further work is required to safeguard vulnerable systems.

Ars Technica - Spectre, Meltdown researchers unveil 7 more speculative execution attacks
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Re: 7 more speculative execution attacks

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:53 am

Quick, chuckula, mount your high horse! They've finally found a Meltdown variant that affects AMD processors!

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: 7 more speculative execution attacks

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Does this mean Intel will have to go to a one-core-per-thread ratio?

The more I think about it, the less I like virtual cores. They remind me of rice cakes. Or styrofoam cakes.

Oh, and I wonder also...will single-concurrent-user personal computer users be forced to apply yet more performance-degrading BIOS and Windows updates to address these issues that are not likely to impact us?