Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, Steel

jahidkhan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

What is wrong with Seagate's HDDs?

Sun May 26, 2019 3:13 am

For those who have a positive experience with Seagate HDDs, I don't know why I'm getting such a negative experience with them these days, but my experiences are that Seagate HDDs only last 4 to 5 years, while WD's HDDs, my experiences have been very positive, my laptop's WD HDD lasted 11 years until it broke 2 years ago.

Please note that in the late 90s when I was using Windows 98, I had a Seagate HDD and it lasted until 2008, I don't know what happened to Seagate's production quality, but it went down for some reason.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: What is wrong with Seagate's HDDs?

Sun May 26, 2019 3:17 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121736

The latest data from Backblaze suggest that Seagate's reliability has improved in the past two years. HGST drives designed before they were gobbled up by WD have performed the best in Blackblaze's production environment.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 am

Seagate indeed had issues in the early years of this decade. They were on my "avoid" list for a while, then I gave them another chance. Last year they landed back on my "avoid" list again due to their idiotic drive-managed SMR crap.

By most accounts their reliability is back on par with WD these days though, and supposedly they have phased out SMR for consumer drives (though there are still a lot of them in the distribution channels... do yourself a favor and avoid anything with a DM004 suffix on the model name).

The pair of ST3000DM001 drives in my desktop are still doing fine (nearly 27000 power on hours, and zero bad sectors).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun May 26, 2019 8:26 am

I guess I've only had my Firecuda for a few years but it's been perfect.

Can't honestly say I use it all that heavily or as an OS drive though.
Meow.

LostCat

Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 am

I still love that thing and would prefer to have SSD#3 back on my Xbox One X so back in use it is. :)
Meow.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Sun May 26, 2019 11:39 am

There's nothing wrong with them currently.
Desktop: Z170A | 6700K @ 4.4 | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID 0
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 26, 2019 5:22 pm

One half of me wants to say "welcome to Tech Report"

The other half of me is cynically wondering why your first post is about SEAGATE BAD, WD GOOD - especially when the best evidence of reliablilty this decade proves the exact opposite, with huge sample size. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt but dozens of shill first-post from a new member just like this get deleted by mods every month simply for being hit-and-run FUD that stays buoyant in the search results exactly as a shill would want.

Maybe I've just done too little drinking this evening and haven't fully pacified my jaded cynicism yet.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Sun May 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Seagate just a bad bout of models that had QC issues that are just recovering from. WD is currently facing the same problem on some SKUs. HDDs in general have drop in long-term reliablity due to growing price pressure from solid-state media and keeping up in the data density race in the face of massive physical limitations and engineering problems.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 27, 2019 9:46 am

Where practical, I just refuse to run without RAID nowadays. Some of my Seagates were bad enough I had to give up on them as RMA replacements aren't free (shipping) and they were failing more than once a year, but that was a long time ago.

I'm happy with my Toshiba drives, but they are the first Toshiba 3.5" drives which I think were essentially HGST units? I can't remember how all the mergers went with the conditions regulators put on. I'm pretty sure didn't start from scratch with making 3.5" drives.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 am

captaintrav wrote:
Where practical, I just refuse to run without RAID nowadays. Some of my Seagates were bad enough I had to give up on them as RMA replacements aren't free (shipping) and they were failing more than once a year, but that was a long time ago.

Other than drives used for external backups, I RAID my mechanical storage too. Typically RAID-1 for my desktop, and (these days) RAID-6 for my DIY NAS.

captaintrav wrote:
I'm happy with my Toshiba drives, but they are the first Toshiba 3.5" drives which I think were essentially HGST units? I can't remember how all the mergers went with the conditions regulators put on. I'm pretty sure didn't start from scratch with making 3.5" drives.

They had gotten out of the 3.5" business, then got back in when WD was forced to spin off some of the HGST IP and manufacturing capacity to get regulatory approval for the merger.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Samir
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:34 am

New to the forum, but not to Seagate, WD, HGST and the others. I remember back when Seagates were the cream of the crop and on the cutting edge like the Cheetah drives.

But then they had pricing pressures as 'consumer' drives came into play which let to Mr. Shughart who basically invented hard drives and was the founder of Seagate to be ousted from his own company by shareholders. Well, that caused a lot of carnage over the years as their product became consumer garbage, even on the high end. And WD, et al stepped up their game and started to innovate and make great products like the velociraptor series.

And then merger mania has absorbed a lot of the names of old--Quantum, Maxtor, Connor, Miniscribe(?), IBM and more. Today, basically Seagate and Western Digital absorbed everyone else.

And some of the products are quite impressive. I just hooked up an old WD RE series to an old HP laptop via esata and was surprised to see read and write speeds well over 100Mb/sec sustained for reads and writes. I remember the days when these were just internal transfer speeds...

I primarily get HGST and WD Black for anything important with 5 yr warranties and 1M+ mtbf. I'll grab other drives if they're cheap, but they will never be primary--only backups. And as usual, 3 backups, 2 different locations, 2 different media to be safe.