Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

lyons75
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Brand new CPU build for Cyberpunk 2077 (Budget Important!)

Thu May 30, 2019 5:51 am

Hey guys,

My current gaming rig is getting dated but I'm pretty psyched about Cyberpunk. However, I'm not much of a gamer and the only reason why I'm so impressed with this game is that I enjoyed the Witcher 3 so much.

So, how much do we know about the recommended requirements for the game? I'm gonna go do some Google research but I'd also be happy with some experienced opinions and advice about the peripherals. Especially the CPU.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Brand new CPU build for Cyberpunk 2077 (Budget Important!)

Thu May 30, 2019 5:58 am

Isn't that game a few years away still?
Way too soon to talk specifics about system requirements.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil XP

Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 am

Found this here:

https://www.game-debate.com/games/index ... unk%202077

Recommended Requirements, Predicted
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz / AMD Ryzen R5 1600
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Nano 8GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
VRAM: 6GB
System Memory: 16 GB RAM
Storage: 70 GB Hard drive space

No idea how accurate that is, though, as it doesn't appear to be CDPR official.

Given that there isn't a hard release date at this time, I wouldn't recommend actually buying anything yet. If it releases in a few months anything you get today should be fine, but if it doesn't launch until sometime in 2020 anything you buy now might not be optimal. (You can never go wrong holding off on CPU purchases so long as you don't actively need something right now....)
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, MSI GTX 1080 TI, 1 TB CRUCIAL MX500, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 am

Yeah, sounds like the release date is 2020 last I heard.

I'd wait until the week of Black Friday. Then you can choose between Ryzen 3600X/3700X and [hopefully] Intel Ice Lake.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 30, 2019 9:20 am

If the recommended system specs K-L-Waster posted end up being anywhere close to reality by the time the game launches, you really need to be paying more attention to the GPU. Those are some fairly high-end GPUs, but relatively low-end CPUs. You could easily end up spending 2-3x as much for the GPU as the CPU...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 am

lyons75 wrote:
So, how much do we know about the recommended requirements for the game? I'm gonna go do some Google research but I'd also be happy with some experienced opinions and advice about the peripherals. Especially the CPU.

Why the CPU?

Video game calculations are overwhelmingly on the GPU, especially for a graphically intense game like Witcher 3.

CPU-based games are like, strategy games or simulations. You'll need a beefy CPU for Factorio, Dwarf Fortress, City Skylines, and Civilization. But the Witcher 3 barely has any CPU power at all. Its basically all GPU.

just brew it! wrote:
If the recommended system specs K-L-Waster posted end up being anywhere close to reality by the time the game launches, you really need to be paying more attention to the GPU. Those are some fairly high-end GPUs, but relatively low-end CPUs. You could easily end up spending 2-3x as much for the GPU as the CPU...

Its not so much "could", but "should". The GPU is the piece of the computer that calculates 3d points, paints textures and puts everything on the screen. Its absolutely more important than the CPU, probably 2x to 3x more important. So yeah, definitely spend more on GPU if you care about Cyberpunck 2077 or Witcher 3 (and other, similar games)

defaultluser
Gerbil

Thu May 30, 2019 12:17 pm

I assume you're just looking to upgrade for games today?

We can't give you a recommendation on upgrades until you give us the specs of your entire system.
Last edited by defaultluser on Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Its not so much "could", but "should". The GPU is the piece of the computer that calculates 3d points, paints textures and puts everything on the screen. Its absolutely more important than the CPU, probably 2x to 3x more important. So yeah, definitely spend more on GPU if you care about Cyberpunck 2077 or Witcher 3 (and other, similar games)

Yeah... but given the "budget important" bit, I'm not sure he's going to be able to afford that. Might need to settle for a lesser GPU and run the game at reduced detail, which would bring the price of the GPU down. It doesn't make much sense to go lower on the CPU to save some $, since you can get one of the recommended CPUs (Ryzen 5 1600) for only ~$120.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Wait until Cyberpunk 2077 is almost out.

Whatever your budget is, you'll get more performance if you spend it in the future than you will today. AMD, Intel, and Nvidia continually compete to provide a faster product than their rivals at the same price, so whatever you can afford now will cost less in the future*, allowing you to either buy more performance with your original budget, or save money.

*short term blips like the cryptocurrency bubble affecting graphics cards and the DRAM cartel excepted. Thankfully the cryptocurrency bubble burst and the memory prices suspiciously returned to normal soon after the Chinese government launched an investigation into price-fixing.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Thu May 30, 2019 1:50 pm

just brew it! wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yeah... but given the "budget important" bit, I'm not sure he's going to be able to afford that. Might need to settle for a lesser GPU and run the game at reduced detail, which would bring the price of the GPU down. It doesn't make much sense to go lower on the CPU to save some $, since you can get one of the recommended CPUs (Ryzen 5 1600) for only ~$120.

Hmm... it will depend on how single-thread bound the game will be. I could imagine that a 2-core IceLake Pentium (if they ever come out) with superior single-threaded GHZ + IPC may be a better deal for Cyberpunk 2077 at a cheaper price. Just an example.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Lot of "ifs" there though, given that we don't know how many threads this game will be capable of utilizing, or what else he might want to use this system for. Seems pretty silly to cripple the system just to save $40 (give or take). If that's gonna break the bank, I think the correct answer is "wait to build the system until you've saved another $40, or the price of the CPU comes down".

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Thu May 30, 2019 2:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Lot of "ifs" there though, given that we don't know how many threads this game will be capable of utilizing, or what else he might want to use this system for. Seems pretty silly to cripple the system just to save $40 (give or take). If that's gonna break the bank, I think the correct answer is "wait to build the system until you've saved another $40, or the price of the CPU comes down".

I can bet that unless he spends $300+ on a GPU, he will likely be GPU-bound. Even on $100ish CPUs.

Now, I agree with you in general, that he probably should get $120 to $150 CPUs, because they're a lot better for the money invested (and given that computers should last 3+ years, maybe 5+ or even 10 years), its not really a big deal to spend +$30 to +$40 on these parts. Still... from the perspective of "building the cheapest gaming box possible"... the traditional "econobox" has been a cheap $80 Pentium + beefier $250ish GPU.

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 30, 2019 3:22 pm

What Chrispy_ said, wait. Every aspect of this will be better if you wait. That assumes there's even reason to upgrade in the first place - what's your current rig like?

I can't think of any reason a Pentium would ever be a good choice for a gaming machine in 2019. Not only are games all but universally beyond that threadedness now, but 128-bit SIMD and lack of cores have a multiplicative ill effect and lack of support for AVX instructions means some future games just won't be runnable period. If we're talking about games of Cyberpunk 2077's grade even as a thing you might hypothetically want it to handle and you can't afford a quad core with support for instructions introduced in 2011, you just need to keep saving.

lyons75
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 5:12 am

We can't give you a recommendation on upgrades until you give us the specs of your entire system.

8 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon R7 240
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    Also, running a 500GB HDD

I know it's pretty bad but I haven't been gaming at all these last few years. Fun fact, though, I was able to run TW3 on lowest settings without any lag or stutter even though online data said there's no way the game would even start.

To answer your questions, yes, I am looking for an upgrade right now since I'd also like to play some of the new RPG titles. For example, Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain looks extremely fun.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 am

lyons75 wrote:

8 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon R7 240
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    Also, running a 500GB HDD

I know it's pretty bad but I haven't been gaming at all these last few years. Fun fact, though, I was able to run TW3 on lowest settings without any lag or stutter even though online data said there's no way the game would even start.

To answer your questions, yes, I am looking for an upgrade right now since I'd also like to play some of the new RPG titles. For example, Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain looks extremely fun.

Your current CPU is actually pretty great! No need to replace it now, especially on a tight budget. You would be much better off just replacing that GPU, and adding some more memory.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 31, 2019 5:35 am

They Ryzen 5 2600 is likely going to be fine.

I would wait to see what the CD Projekt Red official recommended graphics card is and then buy that. They likely won't release those specs until the beta - probably a couple of months before official launch.

In the meantime, you could buy yourself an SSD, upgrade that RAM to 16GB or 32GB and let us know what power supply and case you have, just to make sure that it's capable of handling a proper gaming GPU. Those are relatively affordable upgrades that will likely be necessary for a good CP:2077 experience that you could do right now and benefit from the snappier more responsive day-to-day experience of using your PC.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil XP

Fri May 31, 2019 6:01 am

I agree with the others that the 2600 isn't a problem.

If you're finding that you have performance issues in games today, I would look at upgrading your GPU and increasing your RAM (it's doesn't have to be super fast RAM, but 8GB puts you at risk of having to page to disk, especially if you have any other applications running at the same time as the game). You'll get much bigger improvements from upgrading those than you would from upgrading the 2600.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, MSI GTX 1080 TI, 1 TB CRUCIAL MX500, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

lyons75
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 6:03 am

Thanks for hasty replies, guys! I'm glad to hear that my CPU is fine, that's one less thing to worry about. 8) As for my GPU, I suspected that might be the problem. From my limited knowledge, my current setup should allow me to run CPU-intensive games like Civilization, although it will encounter problems with ones that require a better graphics card. I've been looking through some Reddit threads and gaming websites to find out more about the topic.

This one from Reddit is pretty informative and it has led me on to believe I should invest in an Nvidia GPU rather than AMD. GTX 1060 from this list seems pretty good for the price but I'm wondering how long will it last me considering the upcoming titles. I'm guessing it's not good enough for CP2077 but I'll be able to upgrade in 1,5 year when I save up more cash.

So to rephrase my original question, could you recommend any upgrades that would allow me to play the titles that come out for the next 12 months? However, they shouldn't be too expensive. (Think below $500 in total).

As for PSU, I got this one from Amazon a few years ago, I believe it should be fine since it's 500W.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 31, 2019 6:48 am

You've already gotten recommendations for GPU, RAM and SSD upgrades to make your existing system perform better.

Your sources of gaming graphics card recommendations are not credible. Any graphics card with less than 4 GB of memory is going to struggle in a lot of games today. Even when the lack of sufficient memory isn't crippling its performance, the $219 GeForce GTX1060 3GB card that your source has as their top recommendation is going to perform similarly to a $120 Radeon RX 570 in many games.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Tec ... 019/2.html

The first of AMD's new Navi 5000 series GPUs are due out this summer. Even if you don't choose to buy one of them, their appearance in the market is likely to drive down prices on older AMD and NVidia graphics cards.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Fri May 31, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

K-L-Waster
Gerbil XP

Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 am

I wouldn't recommend a 1060 at this point unless you can get a really good deal on one. Regardless, as JAE mentioned you definitely want 4GB or more of VRAM, so if you do go the 1060 route make sure you get a 6GB model not a 3GB model.

Better choices from NVidia would be a 1660 TI or a 2060. You might have a hard time fitting those in the budget though -- keep an eye out for sales.

I usually end up buying NVidia myself, but there is no reason to avoid AMD cards, and you will likely have an easier time finding one that fits your budget. If you really can stretch the budget to $500 you could look 580s or even potentially at a Vega56.

And of course we would be remiss not to point out that AMD's Navi cards are being released soon-ish, so if you can wait it may be worthwhile seeing what those look like (and what their release does to pricing on other cards for that matter....)

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 am

A $270 Radeon RX Vega56 is a good choice for gaming at up to 2560x1440 resolution, but this is getting into the performance range where we're expecting the slightly cut down "Pro" version of Navi to offer lower power consumption (and noise) and lower manufacturing cost compared to Vega. On the NVidia side, this is GTX1070Ti or RTX2060 territory.

I would be very happy to recommend a GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB for the OP's needs if NVidia would knock $50 or more off of its $280 price tag.

I am slightly curious about how the OP managed to pair up a one-year-old mid-range Ryzen 5 2600 CPU with a six-year-old Radeon R7 240 budget GPU.

Here are some potentially useful benchmark comparisons:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... marks-7001
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Fri May 31, 2019 11:59 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
A $270 Radeon RX Vega56 is a good choice for gaming at up to 2560x1440 resolution

Wow. GPUs have dropped in price recently. That's a good deal for that price range. But as others have said: "Navi" is launching in July-ish. GPU prices are expected to decline as new cards come out. But you probably wouldn't feel bad to snag a Vega56 at those prices.

I'd recommend that you buy the $300 one. The $270 one at the top of the list has a reference cooler: which is louder than what most people expect. The PowerColor RED DRAGON would be quieter and probably be cooled better with the triple-fan setup. Quieter and cooler is worth the $30.

This one from Reddit is pretty informative and it has led me on to believe I should invest in an Nvidia GPU rather than AMD. GTX 1060 from this list seems pretty good for the price but I'm wondering how long will it last me considering the upcoming titles. I'm guessing it's not good enough for CP2077 but I'll be able to upgrade in 1,5 year when I save up more cash.

GPU prices change often: they go both up and down in price. Maybe at the time that post was written, NVidia was better. But today, that Vega 56 that JustAnEngineer is pointing at is looking pretty good. The Nvidia 2060 is $370 at the moment, which means the current "equal price" matchup is NVidia 1660 vs AMD Vega56. It seems like AMD is better at today's prices.

AMD does run hotter than NVidia (NVidia has been better at optimization). But the Vega56 is much more powerful than a 1660.

lyons75 wrote:
As for PSU, I got this one from Amazon a few years ago, I believe it should be fine since it's 500W.

Uh oh. Well... that's where the increased power usage of a Vega56 will be a problem. Vega56 needs more power than that. Hmmm... does anyone know how much power a NVidia 2060 usually uses? It might be cheaper to "upgrade" to the 2060 if its going to remain under 500W. Otherwise, if you get a Vega56, you'd probably want to get a new PSU.

Vega56 definitely wants a 600W or even 700W power supply. It turns out that Vega56 and Vega64 have extremely high transients that were causing issues for some people's builds. Basically, Vega56 will draw a bunch of power (sometimes) for 20ms or so, which caused some 500W power supplies to trigger the over-amperage safety shutoff. Your 500W PSU may be fine, but its going to be a risk.

Hmm... you could always just buy the Vega56, play a few games, and see if everything is fine. If it doesn't work, you can always switch to your old GPU while you order a new power supply.

EDIT: https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/ ... ity-issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comme ... after_the/

The measured transient was ~20ms of 51A at 12V, or ~600W transients (the oscilloscope shot was of a Crossfired 2x Vega56 setup, in case you're wondering why its 100A in the oscilloscope screenshot. This suggest a 600W PSU at the minimum (but remember that the CPU and the rest of the system will also be drawing power), so 700W+ would be safest. A 500W PSU may still work because its just a "temporary power spike", 20ms at a time, but you'd definitely be running your 500W PSU outside of its specifications (albeit only for 20ms but still...)

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 31, 2019 1:54 pm

https://techreport.com/news/34617/barga ... more#metal
There's a G.Skill 2x16 GiB DDR4-3000 memory kit for $135 and a Sabrent 1 TB SSD for $114. You could probably get by with half of those sizes of each, but they'd cost more than half as much.

$77 2x8 GiB PC4-25600 G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (DDR4-3200, 16-18-18-38, 1.35 V)
$67 ½ TB Crucial P1 SSD with M.2-2280 form factor & PCIe interface

lyons75
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:58 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
A $270 Radeon RX Vega56 is a good choice for gaming at up to 2560x1440 resolution, but this is getting into the performance range where we're expecting the slightly cut down "Pro" version of Navi to offer lower power consumption (and noise) and lower manufacturing cost compared to Vega. On the NVidia side, this is GTX1070Ti or RTX2060 territory.

I would be very happy to recommend a GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB for the OP's needs if NVidia would knock $50 or more off of its $280 price tag.

I am slightly curious about how the OP managed to pair up a one-year-old mid-range Ryzen 5 2600 CPU with a six-year-old Radeon R7 240 budget GPU.

I was also thinking of getting a 1660Ti model, as for your question, it's actually a weird story. My old CPU was dated as the GPU is, but it burned out and died for no reason. So I got this model on a discount and ended up with such a weird setup.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:51 am

What is the resolution and refresh rate of your current monitor? This is a significant factor in determining how powerful your GPU needs to be for gaming.

While any modern mid-range gaming GPU is going to be a huge improvement from your existing old budget card, some of them are better values than others.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:30 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
What is the resolution and refresh rate of your current monitor? This is a significant factor in determining how powerful your GPU needs to be for gaming.

AND... are you intending to get a bigger / higher refresh rate monitor? (No point suggesting you get something that will work at 1080p 60 Hz if you're planning to get a 1440p 144 Hz monitor in a few months....)

lyons75
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:15 am

No idea about these specs but I got this one https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Zowie-inch- ... 01H5KKRLO/

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:57 am

Your monitor's resolution of 1920x1080 at 75 Hz shouldn't be overly demanding for any mid-range graphics card.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:24 pm

CDPR just announced that they expect Cyberpunk 2077 to launch in April 2020. By then we should have at least Navi as a minimum, and probably also another generation of Nvidia silicon too. Also assume that, since it's CDPR and they always push the envelope on graphics, you'll want the latest and greatest GPU and a relatively strong CPU and SSD + >=16GB memory backing it up if the goal is to run on high visual settings.

lyons75
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:23 am

That makes sense, thanks for the tips. I guess I'll wait out for a year or two and then get a new setup